Engine oil advice

Old February 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Engine oil advice

I've always used Quaker State oil in my gasoline engines.

My 97 TJ 2.5L 5spd will use 10w-30 year round, or so the books say.

I know that some folks here have used synthetic engine oil.

Any recommendations/advice as to benefits of synthetics?

Thanks
Matt
97 TJ, 2.5L, 5spd

Old February 19th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

ambrin did pass the time by typing:
> I've always used Quaker State oil in my gasoline engines.
>
> My 97 TJ 2.5L 5spd will use 10w-30 year round, or so the books say.
>
> I know that some folks here have used synthetic engine oil.
>
> Any recommendations/advice as to benefits of synthetics?

Benefits... dunno. I've tried everything from synthetic/mix/dino
and noticed exactly nothing. Regular changes are the key. With
synthetics you can stretch things a bit longer. Cost-wise I think
it's about dead even.

The only benefit to the pure synthetic was when I go to higher/colder
climates. It seems to run better than dinosludge does.

--
DougW

Old February 19th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I've been useing Castrol 20w-50 with Lucas oil stabilizer.I live in
Phoenix Az that's worked great for me hope it works for
you............SILKY

Old February 20th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I have used synthetics in my vehicles for about 10 years.. Before that it
was Quaker State.

Same thing on my last vehicle, a 98 Cobra. I used synthetic. Sometimes oil
changes didn't get done till about 5k miles but usually it was between
3-4k. Just before we traded it in at 77k miles we peered in through the oil
filler opening and it was still just as clean and bright as it could be. I
couldn't say that with a dino oil.

Seriously, it works great. I use Mobil 1. It's in my Liberty too.

Kate

"ambrin" > wrote in message
news : I've always used Quaker State oil in my gasoline engines.
:

Old February 20th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Katie,
Of course you know "synthetic" when it come to oil, is still
petroleum (Dino as you call it) just refined to basestocks:
http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles7.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 20th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Persuing this train of logic, much of the food you eat is just that same
dino oil refined to basestocks and then synthesized into various
foodstuffs and ingredients.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Old February 20th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Lon" > wrote in message
> Persuing this train of logic, much of the food you eat is just that same
> dino oil refined to basestocks and then synthesized into various
> foodstuffs and ingredients.

Continuing the same thought, why stop at dinos? They died out millions of
years ago. Since then many billions of humans have been buried and
recycled, the proteins leaching down into the soil to be returned as
nutritional corn or poison ivy. When someone says they see the face of
Hiawatha in a potato, it might be.

Old February 20th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yup, petroleum is a renewable resource.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 20th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes, I sub contracted for Upjohn in Houston a giant looking oil
refinery, it's only product was One-A-Day vitamins.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 20th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

To me, "synthetic oil" would be something made from other than petroleum.
Like corn or straight from the CO2 in the atmosphere. Or C12 atoms made by
fusion from primordial interstellar hydrogen. From this discussion and
other sources, it appears that synthetic, that you buy off the shelf in
AutoZone or wherever, has just been subjected to a few more refining steps.
Hopefully, this means that it is free of wax and varnish molecules that
might interfere with effective lubrication, but you don't really know that.
As far as its value as a lubricant, well I just don't know that either.
However, I put a synthetic gear oil in the rear of my Suburban on the advice
of a local mechanic, who claimed it would save fuel. The price difference
was a couple dollars, what the heck.

Earle