Oil air filter

Old October 27th 05, 06:00 PM
Joao Eliseu

Default Oil air filter

I removed the air filter and I delivered it to an ACVW guru. He worked on a VW dealer
for more then 20 years as mechanic chief. He putted the air filter in a liquid for
24 hours and cleaned it. A lot of dirt comes out of the top part of the filter.
The paint got a lot of bubbles. Not the factory inner paint but the outside paint
job I did. He was the person who told me about this tip
This is one of the best improvements I made on my beetle to improve the performance.
The idle speed dropped between 50 to 100 rpm and the acceleration is stronger. It
also works smoother and I only feel a tiny flat spot. The engine drops less rpm
when I shift.
Now I know why some people change to paper filter and feel a big difference.
I never read a post about this issue here…but I also could miss it.

Joao
Old October 27th 05, 09:48 PM
Mike64Bug

Oil bath air cleaners were used for years. They did however need to
be cleaned once in a while. I've always wondered if the more modern
paper type filters did a better job. It's certainly easier to toss out a
replaceable filter as opposed to putting an oil bath type through
a solvent tank or spraying it out with something. Probably too messy
and dirty for most people.

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old October 28th 05, 10:14 AM
Joao Eliseu

"Mike64Bug" > wrote:
>Oil bath air cleaners were used for years. They did however need to
>be cleaned once in a while. I've always wondered if the more modern
>paper type filters did a better job. It's certainly easier to toss out a
>replaceable filter as opposed to putting an oil bath type through
>a solvent tank or spraying it out with something. Probably too messy
>and dirty for most people.
>
>--

>'64 sunroof Beetle
>'55 semaphore Beetle

In my opinion paper type filters are easy to replace.
Oil bath air cleaners are a mess to clean, but more efficient removing dust from
the air and less restrictive, if properly maintain (It wasn't my case).
If I’m wrong please let me know.

Joao
Old October 28th 05, 11:10 PM
Jim Adney

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:48:28 GMT "Mike64Bug"
> wrote:

>Oil bath air cleaners were used for years. They did however need to
>be cleaned once in a while. I've always wondered if the more modern
>paper type filters did a better job. It's certainly easier to toss out a
>replaceable filter as opposed to putting an oil bath type through
>a solvent tank or spraying it out with something. Probably too messy
>and dirty for most people.

The oil bath air cleaner actually cleans better and impedes the flow
of air less than a paper air filter, but the mess factor pushes people
in the direction of the paper filters.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old October 30th 05, 04:33 PM
One out of many daves

AFAIK The oil bath air cleaners keep the mixture a little richer at the
higher rpms too.
--
later,
dave