Hydrogen Fuel Car

Old April 22nd 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Hydrogen Fuel Car

Hydrogen Fuel Car - Can You Really Build Your Own Homemade Hydrogen
Fuel Car?
http://automotive-industry-news.50we...n_Fuel_Car.htm

Old April 23rd 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Throntum Mechanic wrote:

> However, in truth, it can -- and has been -- done, very successfully
> and under repeatable lab conditions.

Even under ideal conditions, energy out still is less than energy in.
Besides which, the majority of gain from those systems is due to
tricks like adjusting the MAP sensor voltage so the engine runs lean.
Or simply airing up the tires.

The absolute best result I have had was with some hypermiling techniques.
Best was simply shutting the engine off at certain lights. Those lights
always take 4-5 minutes to cycle. My MPG went up nearly 20% just from
not idling. Too bad there isn't an easy way to cut cylinders at idle.

> But it is like making diamonds or changing lead into gold. It can
> indeed be done, but at such a ridiculously high cost that it's not
> feasible in any way whatsoever. It's merely a curiosity of science.

I've always wondered what the result would be of using solar to replace
or augment the alternator. Of course you would need high density cells
and quite a bit of real-estate. But consider just recharging the battery
(or a dual battery) while the vehicle is parked at work. The large cells
I have are good enough for camping, but they would look rather stupid
bolted to the top of the ZJ.

Given enough juice you could also use DC to power the AC compressor,
fan (for those of us that still use belts), etc.

I've got a small solar panel and some 12V fans. Going to make a little
doodad to keep air circulating in the Jeep when it's parked. Can't use
those window things, when I set the alarm my power windows close and
would crush them.

And now back to my beer and fixing the lawn mower.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old May 14th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
man of machines

jay leno has been driving one for gm for a year and hal;f now

Old May 15th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
J. Clarke

man of machines wrote:
> jay leno has been driving one for gm for a year and hal;f now

And you can lease one from Honda as well. But neither one uses an
owner-installed kit that separates hydrogen using electricity from the
starter battery.

If you know what you're about there's no real obstacle other than time and
money to making your car run on hydrogen, other than the cryogenic storage
tank it's not much different from a natural gas conversion, but these 50
buck conversion kits are just a scam.

Old May 15th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Square Wheels[_23_]

On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:01:50 -0700, L.W.(ßill)Hughes III wrote:

> Jay can afford a million dollar car

It's Mr. Leno to you, commoner.

And all you can afford is what Nancy can afford to buy for you.

Which ain't much, since she FEEDS you, and buys your meds, street drugs
and booze.

And you steal out of her purse to rent the occasional goat.

> http://www.autoblog.com/2005/06/20/t...-in-ten-years/
> and of course hydrogen is not clean to make, nor cost effective:
> http://www.recoverybydiscovery.com/hydrogen.htm

And you are a total, misled and misguided fool and uninformed idiot.

Next.....