Saturn...WTF?!?

Old March 20th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_57_]

Default Saturn...WTF?!?

About a month or so ago (from memory) it was all over the news how GM was
going to nix a few different captured brands, including Saturn. Now TODAY
(March 20, 2009), there are television ads running, urging consumers to buy
Saturn.

I know our local Saturn dealer closed up shop forever shortly after the
announcement that Saturn was dead. The building and sales lot are totally
EMPTY, other than some debris that blew in during a recent storm.

So WTF is up with the Saturn television ads? Is this a contract thing where
both parties are obligated to run the ads even though the company advertised
doesn't exist anymore?

I don't get it. -Dave

Old March 20th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Dave wrote:

> About a month or so ago (from memory) it was all over the news how GM was
> going to nix a few different captured brands, including Saturn. Now TODAY
> (March 20, 2009), there are television ads running, urging consumers to buy
> Saturn.
>
> I know our local Saturn dealer closed up shop forever shortly after the
> announcement that Saturn was dead. The building and sales lot are totally
> EMPTY, other than some debris that blew in during a recent storm.
>
> So WTF is up with the Saturn television ads? Is this a contract thing where
> both parties are obligated to run the ads even though the company advertised
> doesn't exist anymore?

Maybe they discovered some stock somewhere.

Funnilly ? enough Saturn had only just introduced 2 Opel based models that are
decent cars and quite economical ( although the smallest and largest engines are
all larger than their European equivalents ). You'd have thought GM ought to be
trying to make something of that wouldn't you ?

Graham

Old March 20th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Mar 20, 12:06*pm, Eeyore >
wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > About a month or so ago (from memory) it was all over the news how GM was
> > going to nix a few different captured brands, including Saturn. *Now TODAY
> > (March 20, 2009), there are television ads running, urging consumers to buy
> > Saturn.

> > I know our local Saturn dealer closed up shop forever shortly after the
> > announcement that Saturn was dead. *The building and sales lot are totally
> > EMPTY, other than some debris that blew in during a recent storm.

> > So WTF is up with the Saturn television ads? *Is this a contract thing where
> > both parties are obligated to run the ads even though the company advertised
> > doesn't exist anymore?

> Maybe they discovered some stock somewhere.
>
> Funnilly ? enough Saturn had only just introduced 2 Opel based models that are
> decent cars and quite economical ( although the smallest and largest engines are
> all larger than their European equivalents ). You'd have thought GM ought to be
> trying to make something of that wouldn't you ?
>
> Graham

At least one is redundant, as at least the Malibu is the same car as
one of the Saturn offerings. Not sure about the other as Saturn
really doesn't even register on my personal automotive radar (that's
probably part of the problem...)

nate
Old March 20th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

N8N wrote:

> Eeyore > wrote:
> > Dave wrote:
> > > About a month or so ago (from memory) it was all over the news how GM was
> > > going to nix a few different captured brands, including Saturn. Now TODAY
> > > (March 20, 2009), there are television ads running, urging consumers to buy
> > > Saturn.

> > > I know our local Saturn dealer closed up shop forever shortly after the
> > > announcement that Saturn was dead. The building and sales lot are totally
> > > EMPTY, other than some debris that blew in during a recent storm.

> > > So WTF is up with the Saturn television ads? Is this a contract thing where
> > > both parties are obligated to run the ads even though the company advertised
> > > doesn't exist anymore?

> > Maybe they discovered some stock somewhere.
> >
> > Funnilly ? enough Saturn had only just introduced 2 Opel based models that are
> > decent cars and quite economical ( although the smallest and largest engines are
> > all larger than their European equivalents ). You'd have thought GM ought to be
> > trying to make something of that wouldn't you ?

> At least one is redundant, as at least the Malibu is the same car as
> one of the Saturn offerings. Not sure about the other as Saturn
> really doesn't even register on my personal automotive radar (that's
> probably part of the problem...)

The models I refer to are the Saturn Astra ( built in Germany ) and the Saturn Aura, a
US built version of an Opel Vectra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Astra
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Aura
" Reception to the Aura has generally been positive. The Aura has been described as
the best looking sedan to come out of GM in quite a while.[22] The Aura was also
praised for its performance.[23][22] The Aura has been described as "the best Saturn
yet",[5] and fit and finish and ride quality are regarded as greatly improved over
previous Saturns."

Well, if GM has closed Saturn down, they left the website up.
http://www.saturn.com/

Graham

Old March 20th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Mar 20, 1:33*pm, Eeyore >
wrote:
> N8N wrote:
> > Eeyore > wrote:

> > > Maybe they discovered some stock somewhere.

> > > Funnilly ? enough Saturn had only just introduced 2 Opel based models that are
> > > decent cars and quite economical ( although the smallest and largest engines are
> > > all larger than their European equivalents ). You'd have thought GM ought to be
> > > trying to make something of that wouldn't you ?

> > At least one is redundant, as at least the Malibu is the same car as
> > one of the Saturn offerings. *Not sure about the other as Saturn
> > really doesn't even register on my personal automotive radar (that's
> > probably part of the problem...)

> The models I refer to are the Saturn Astra ( built in Germany ) and the Saturn Aura, a
> US built version of an Opel Vectra.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_...ki/Saturn_Aura
> " Reception to the Aura has generally been positive. The Aura has been described as
> the best looking sedan to come out of GM in quite a while.[22] The Aura was also
> praised for its performance.[23][22] The Aura has been described as "the best Saturn
> yet",[5] and fit and finish and ride quality are regarded as greatly improved over
> previous Saturns."
>
> Well, if GM has closed Saturn down, they left the website up.http://www.saturn.com/

yes like I said the Aura is essentially a Chevy Malibu with different
badging. A quick Google indicates that the Astra will be (is? not
sure) also sold as the Chevy Cruze. (what an awful name for a car...)
in any case they are both redundant, now both in the dictionary sense
and the colloquial British sense.

nate
Old March 20th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
R Mach

> About a month or so ago (from memory) it was all over the news how GM was
> going to nix a few different captured brands, including Saturn. Now TODAY
> (March 20, 2009), there are television ads running, urging consumers to
> buy
> Saturn.
> I know our local Saturn dealer closed up shop forever shortly after the
> announcement that Saturn was dead. The building and sales lot are totally
> EMPTY, other than some debris that blew in during a recent storm.
> So WTF is up with the Saturn television ads? Is this a contract thing
> where
> both parties are obligated to run the ads even though the company
> advertised
> doesn't exist anymore?

One souce says that Saturn production will stop by the end of 2010.
Previously it was just said that Saturn production would be moved to the
sites of where similar vehicles are produced under the other brand names.

But GM like most business managers are so dorky and dumb. GM is acting like
Chevrolet is its flagship brand rather than just pick the most appealing
models from each brand. For instance the Malibu is dorky, the G-6 is okay,
but the Aura is most appealing even though its front end is a little to
much. Now the G-6 does do something with the G-6 GXP where you get the same
port-injection engine as the CTS.

In fact Pontiac does seem to try harder in all cases. The G-8 is the same
car as the CTS. They have the Solstice (which is a heavier-duty car than the
MX-5) and they offer two different V-6 engines in the G-6.

Now look at the Ford business managers...Why didn't they just buy Mazda
rather than sell Mazda ? For instance their Fusion is based on the Mazda 6
and the only other thing they have not comparable to Mazda models is the
Mustang. Just merge the Mustang with the Mazda models...

Old March 20th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_57_]

> Well, if GM has closed Saturn down, they left the website up.
> http://www.saturn.com/
>
> Graham

Yeah, I don't get it. Saturn is DEAD, along with Saab and Hummer. Pontiac
is mortally wounded, as well. Why Saturn still has a website, and that
website says nothing about GM abandoning Saturn, is a real mystery. -Dave

Old March 20th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Dave wrote:

> Why Saturn still has a website, and that website says nothing about GM
> abandoning Saturn, is a real mystery.

Perhaps they laid off the person/team maintaining the website and never
shut the server off.
Old March 20th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
R Mach

> One souce says that Saturn production will stop by the end of 2010.
> Previously it was just said that Saturn production would be moved to the
> sites of where similar vehicles are produced under the other brand names.
>
> But GM like most business managers are so dorky and dumb. GM is acting
> like Chevrolet is its flagship brand rather than just pick the most
> appealing models from each brand. For instance the Malibu is dorky, the
> G-6 is okay, but the Aura is most appealing even though its front end is a
> little to much. Now the G-6 does do something with the G-6 GXP where you
> get the same port-injection engine as the CTS.

Also...the Grand Prix is a more appealing car than the Impala. So
Chevrolet...as GM's main player...has embarked on a strategy of selling
Ramblers !

Of course neither Grand Prix or Impala is hardly a modern car anymore. But
Pontiac does do something extra with the Grand Prix in that a V-8 engine is
offered.

Now Chevrolet has the new Camaro which is really the same car as the CTS and
the G8....but priced like a Rambler so line up for this one. But GM does not
have any 2+2 V-6 RWD car comparable to the weight of a BMW 3 Series or
comparable to the weight of the V-6 Mustang.

> In fact Pontiac does seem to try harder in all cases. The G-8 is the same
> car as the CTS. They have the Solstice (which is a heavier-duty car than
> the MX-5) and they offer two different V-6 engines in the G-6.
>
> Now look at the Ford business managers...Why didn't they just buy Mazda
> rather than sell Mazda ? For instance their Fusion is based on the Mazda 6
> and the only other thing they have not comparable to Mazda models is the
> Mustang. Just merge the Mustang with the Mazda models...

So let's make one brand and one dealer location with the Aura, the Grand
Prix, the Solstice, the Corvette, the G8, and the Camaro.

Of course Cadillac can go it alone with its big price sticker strategy...

Old March 20th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
R Mach

>> One souce says that Saturn production will stop by the end of 2010.
>> Previously it was just said that Saturn production would be moved to the
>> sites of where similar vehicles are produced under the other brand names.
>>
>> But GM like most business managers are so dorky and dumb. GM is acting
>> like Chevrolet is its flagship brand rather than just pick the most
>> appealing models from each brand. For instance the Malibu is dorky, the
>> G-6 is okay, but the Aura is most appealing even though its front end is
>> a little to much. Now the G-6 does do something with the G-6 GXP where
>> you get the same port-injection engine as the CTS.
>>

> Also...the Grand Prix is a more appealing car than the Impala. So
> Chevrolet...as GM's main player...has embarked on a strategy of selling
> Ramblers !
>
> Of course neither Grand Prix or Impala is hardly a modern car anymore. But
> Pontiac does do something extra with the Grand Prix in that a V-8 engine
> is offered.
>
> Now Chevrolet has the new Camaro which is really the same car as the CTS
> and the G8....but priced like a Rambler so line up for this one. But GM
> does not have any 2+2 V-6 RWD car comparable to the weight of a BMW 3
> Series or comparable to the weight of the V-6 Mustang.
>

>> In fact Pontiac does seem to try harder in all cases. The G-8 is the same
>> car as the CTS. They have the Solstice (which is a heavier-duty car than
>> the MX-5) and they offer two different V-6 engines in the G-6.
>>
>> Now look at the Ford business managers...Why didn't they just buy Mazda
>> rather than sell Mazda ? For instance their Fusion is based on the Mazda
>> 6 and the only other thing they have not comparable to Mazda models is
>> the Mustang. Just merge the Mustang with the Mazda models...

> So let's make one brand and one dealer location with the Aura, the Grand
> Prix, the Solstice, the Corvette, the G8, and the Camaro.
>
> Of course Cadillac can go it alone with its big price sticker strategy...

And so I'm saying that these dumb business administrators go by current
numbers rather than future potential. For instance the Aura sitting on
Chevrolet lots would have better sales than the Malibu...

Good Detroit Free Press Article about Saturn: "Saturn has sharp cars,low profile" SMS Saturn 11 May 14th 08 05:35 PM
Saturn goes 24/7 [email protected] Saturn 0 March 3rd 07 09:56 AM
New to Saturn Paul Saturn 7 December 28th 04 03:52 PM
Saturn is made on Saturn ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Saturn 1 October 31st 04 04:21 AM
from Saturn fan to Saturn Consultant The Espaz Saturn 1 May 18th 04 10:39 PM