99.5 2.0 - Losing compression in 1st cylinder - kicking/bucking whendriving

Old January 27th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

Default 99.5 2.0 - Losing compression in 1st cylinder - kicking/buckingwhen driving

> Plug wires are not that expensive, I'd replace them again. As well,
> replace the cap/rotor at the same time. The fact you replaced them a
> year ago doesn't mean anything, or perhaps it indicates that they are
> probably bad now.
>
> What brand did you replace them with? Bosch or something 'universal'
> from a chain autoparts store?

I have no idea the brand - the shop did it. I had them done on
4/17/07. Part #06A 905 409L. I also had the Fuel Pump Relay (1J0 906
383C) and Crank Sensor (06A 906 433C) done at the same time (I had a
problem where the car would just suddenly die and I couldn't restart
for a few hours - but after this fix it was good)

Old January 27th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

On Jan 27, 2:19 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> OK I will assume that this is your vehicle.................but correct me if
> I am mistaken!
> 1999.5 Golf 2.0 (AEG engine) automatic
> Drive by Cable
> Ignition transformer is commonly called a coil pack on your engine with no
> distributor cap nor distributor rotor.
> You still have spark plug wires and no individual ign coils.

Yup - that sounds like my Golf!

> I am sure that they want the problems with your car resolved also.

Well - maybe. That's why I'm going to a different shop soon -
hopefully this week.
Old January 27th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

Oh - and also - not like the guys at AutoZone are VW heads - but the
guy suggested trying ISO-HEET and Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I
grabbed them (only 6$) but haven't put them in. He said maybe just a
dirty fuel filter/line/etc. But I usually use Chevron Techtron about
every 5000 miles...
Old January 27th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

And can anyone recommend a Good VW shop in the Philly area?
Old January 28th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Not sure where Lost in Space is, but I would take my VW there if he is
close. <g>

Old January 28th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

On Jan 27, 11:10 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:
> Not sure where Lost in Space is, but I would take my VW there if he is
> close. <g>
>
> "Pete Foley" > wrote in message

> > And can anyone recommend a Good VW shop in the Philly area?

Heh - me too.

I'm toying with the idea of calling up the shop that I currently use
(I've been using them for 5 years and this is the 1st thing they can't
fix) and seeing if they will guarantee the head work - I'll only pay
after I see that it fixed it - since they are so convinced that is the
problem (I'm not after hearing what everyone says).

Still don't know if I should try to get this fixed or just get rid of
it. Just saw a MK2 golf for 3000... Hmm.....
Old January 28th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:08:23 -0800 (PST), Pete Foley
> wrote:

>On Jan 27, 11:10 pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:
>> Not sure where Lost in Space is, but I would take my VW there if he is
>> close. <g>
>>
>> "Pete Foley" > wrote in message

>> > And can anyone recommend a Good VW shop in the Philly area?

>Heh - me too.
>
>I'm toying with the idea of calling up the shop that I currently use
>(I've been using them for 5 years and this is the 1st thing they can't
>fix) and seeing if they will guarantee the head work - I'll only pay
>after I see that it fixed it - since they are so convinced that is the
>problem (I'm not after hearing what everyone says).

That may not be such a bad idea... Of course, after doing the head job
they'll fix the (hopefully minor) problem, and *tell* you it was the
head job that fixed it... (Like: "we replaced the wires because they
didn't look good, but it was the head job that it needed..."

Humm, when you do that deal, you'd better be careful! <bg>

Old January 28th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

> That may not be such a bad idea... Of course, after doing the head job
> they'll fix the (hopefully minor) problem, and *tell* you it was the
> head job that fixed it... (Like: "we replaced the wires because they
> didn't look good, but it was the head job that it needed..."
>
> Humm, when you do that deal, you'd better be careful! <bg>

Just spoke w/ the mechanic - he said before he does the head work (he
clarified and said it's the exhaust valve thats having the problems)
he wants to be sure that the codes being thrown are correct. I told
him my 2 new codes - and he's still concerned that there is something
up with the CPU and it is throwing the incorrect codes - and possibly
causing my main problems - that's why he reprogrammed it before (he
tried to find a replacement last time I was in but couldn't find a
used one). He equated the restart of the car to a computer reboot.
That the head problems may be triggering the CPU - but then that's
freaking out and doesn't know how to handle it.

He's trying to find a used one from a junkyard since a new one is too
expensive. I mean I do appreciate the fact that he's really trying to
figure out the problem - but it's like I'm the test subject each time
I pick it up. It's been almost 2 months since this started, with me
taking it in every other week...

Sigh.
Old January 28th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Pete Foley

> Just spoke w/ the mechanic - he said before he does the head work (he
> clarified and said it's the exhaust valve thats having the problems)
> he wants to be sure that the codes being thrown are correct. I told
> him my 2 new codes - and he's still concerned that there is something
> up with the CPU and it is throwing the incorrect codes - and possibly
> causing my main problems - that's why he reprogrammed it before (he
> tried to find a replacement last time I was in but couldn't find a
> used one). He equated the restart of the car to a computer reboot.
> That the head problems may be triggering the CPU - but then that's
> freaking out and doesn't know how to handle it.
>
> He's trying to find a used one from a junkyard since a new one is too
> expensive. I mean I do appreciate the fact that he's really trying to
> figure out the problem - but it's like I'm the test subject each time
> I pick it up. It's been almost 2 months since this started, with me
> taking it in every other week...
>
> Sigh.

Also - to add - I asked again about the fuel system and oil pump - and
he said that if it was one of those it would be worse when I'm on the
highway going fast - when the car is pumping more. And it's not -
when on the highway I'll get a few stuttering fits - but it is really
the worst when starting up from a stop - before it even shifts into
2nd gear. That's when it will start kicking and get stuck and just
limp by at idle - sounds like voo-voo-voo - almost barking. (?).

When I feel it start stuttering - the first hesitation when acceling
from a stop - I need to floor it then in order to save it. Some times
it does (with quite a kick).