2008 Volkswagen Scirocco

Old May 18th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 2008 Volkswagen Scirocco

Designed by Giugiaro, built by Karmann, and sold in the States between
1975 and 1981, the first Scirocco was an instant showroom success.
http://automobnews.blogspot.com/2007...-scirocco.html

Old May 18th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 18, 7:49 am, " > wrote:
> Designed by Giugiaro, built by Karmann, and sold in the States between
> 1975 and 1981, the first Scirocco was an instant showroom success.http://automobnews.blogspot.com/2007...-scirocco.html

I miss my 'roccet. Best car I ever had and I sold it to some guy for
$600. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was 90% of the fun of my 944 with 10%
of the headaches.

I wonder, will the new one be as light and good-handling as the
original? If it is, I'm in trouble.

nate

Old May 18th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

N8N > wrote:
> On May 18, 7:49 am, " > wrote:
> > Designed by Giugiaro, built by Karmann, and sold in the States between
> > 1975 and 1981, the first Scirocco was an instant showroom success.

http://automobnews.blogspot.com/2007...-scirocco.html

> I miss my 'roccet. Best car I ever had and I sold it to some guy for
> $600. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was 90% of the fun of my 944 with 10%
> of the headaches.

> I wonder, will the new one be as light

No. Safety weights, and I suppose a 5-star NCAP rating is a target for
this car. I am guessing its weight should be approximately the same as
the Golf with the same engine (1300-1400 kg).

> and good-handling as the original?

It should be as good as the Golf GTI, which has been praised by the
journalists.

> If it is, I'm in trouble.

But that is a good kind of trouble.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Old May 18th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

N8N skrev:
> On May 18, 7:49 am, " > wrote:
>> Designed by Giugiaro, built by Karmann, and sold in the States between
>> 1975 and 1981, the first Scirocco was an instant showroom success.http://automobnews.blogspot.com/2007...-scirocco.html

> I miss my 'roccet. Best car I ever had and I sold it to some guy for
> $600. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was 90% of the fun of my 944 with 10%
> of the headaches.
>
> I wonder, will the new one be as light and good-handling as the
> original? If it is, I'm in trouble.

I read somewhere that the Scirocco won't be coming to the US. Supposedly
there's no space for it in VW's lineup. Looks nice though, for a Golf...

> nate

Ulf
Old May 18th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 18, 2:30 pm, " > wrote:
> N8N skrev:
>
> > On May 18, 7:49 am, " > wrote:
> >> Designed by Giugiaro, built by Karmann, and sold in the States between
> >> 1975 and 1981, the first Scirocco was an instant showroom success.http://automobnews.blogspot.com/2007...-scirocco.html

> > I miss my 'roccet. Best car I ever had and I sold it to some guy for
> > $600. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was 90% of the fun of my 944 with 10%
> > of the headaches.

> > I wonder, will the new one be as light and good-handling as the
> > original? If it is, I'm in trouble.

> I read somewhere that the Scirocco won't be coming to the US. Supposedly
> there's no space for it in VW's lineup. Looks nice though, for a Golf...

WHAT??? Has VW reached the point of complete rectal/cranial
inversion? First they decline to offer us the Polo GTI and now no
roccet? SUCK!!!

nate

(guess that means I really have to put the Corrado back together)

Old May 18th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

N8N wrote:
> On May 18, 2:30 pm, " > wrote:
>> N8N skrev:

>>> I miss my 'roccet. Best car I ever had and I sold it to some guy for
>>> $600. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Was 90% of the fun of my 944 with 10%
>>> of the headaches.
>>> I wonder, will the new one be as light and good-handling as the
>>> original? If it is, I'm in trouble.

>> I read somewhere that the Scirocco won't be coming to the US. Supposedly
>> there's no space for it in VW's lineup. Looks nice though, for a Golf...
>>

> WHAT??? Has VW reached the point of complete rectal/cranial
> inversion? First they decline to offer us the Polo GTI and now no
> roccet? SUCK!!!

Apparently it's not set in stone:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/02/g...-be-u-s-bound/

> nate
>
> (guess that means I really have to put the Corrado back together)

Umm, how can you prefer a FWD to a RWD?

Ulf
Old May 18th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 18, 3:01 pm, " > wrote:
> N8N wrote:

> >> I read somewhere that the Scirocco won't be coming to the US. Supposedly
> >> there's no space for it in VW's lineup. Looks nice though, for a Golf...

> > WHAT??? Has VW reached the point of complete rectal/cranial
> > inversion? First they decline to offer us the Polo GTI and now no
> > roccet? SUCK!!!

> Apparently it's not set in stone:
>
> http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/02/g...ht-vw-exec-say...
>

> > nate

> > (guess that means I really have to put the Corrado back together)

> Umm, how can you prefer a FWD to a RWD?

Cast aluminum control arms with integral, non-replaceable ball joints
for about $600 apiece will do that to you. Don't get me wrong I still
love my 944. But right now that's the only running car in the
driveway...

nate