Ping?

Old January 27th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Ping?

This is no doubt a stupid question, but you have to start somewhere.
What does ping sound like? How would I know if the car was
"pinging"? This is a 351C 4V with modifications. Never fails to
start at first turn of key and has plenty of power.
The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is
too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended.
Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks,
what gives? I use 91 octane gas that may contain ethanol.

mike

Old January 27th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .net>, goodnigh wrote:

> The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is
> too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended.
> Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks,
> what gives?

Did you disconnect the vacume advance before checking the timing?

Old January 27th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawk

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
news
> This is no doubt a stupid question, but you have to start somewhere.
> What does ping sound like? How would I know if the car was
> "pinging"? This is a 351C 4V with modifications. Never fails to
> start at first turn of key and has plenty of power.
> The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is
> too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended.
> Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks,
> what gives? I use 91 octane gas that may contain ethanol.
>
> mike

Sound = if you had some marbles in a coffee can and shook it lightly.
pining is detonation which can blow a hole in your piston, or sparkplug, not
good so get out of it ASAP if you ever hear it.
you only lose 4 HP per degree timing, set at 6 no pings OK.

Old January 27th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article .net>,
> goodnigh wrote:
>
>> The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is
>> too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended.
>> Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks,
>> what gives?

> Did you disconnect the vacume advance before checking the timing?

Yes, both of them. It has a dual vacuum advance with one running through a
TVS in the block.
RPM is set to 500 per what I have read.
I use an advance timing light and it seems to be working fine, the advance
dial matches up.
If I set the mark to 15 BTDC and then set the advance dial to 15, the mark
moves back to TDC.
There is a mark left by someone else at 10 BTDC. If I use that mark, the
engine backfires.
This could indicate timing is too far retarded.

The fuel/air mixture may be too rich but I believe I followed proper
procedure.
Turn both screws all the way in like it was a new installation.
Turn out two full turns, start engine and set to 700 RPM.
Turn one screw out 1/4 turn and reset RPM. Do this until turning out the
screw has no effect on RPM. Turn the screw back in a smidge.
Do same for other side.

This is not a stock Cleveland, but I don't know what would explain the
advanced timing.

Old January 30th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Hawk" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
> news
>> This is no doubt a stupid question, but you have to start somewhere.
>> What does ping sound like? How would I know if the car was
>> "pinging"? This is a 351C 4V with modifications. Never fails to
>> start at first turn of key and has plenty of power.
>> The problem being, the timing is set at 15 BTDC which is
>> too far considering 6 BTDC is factory recommended.
>> Unless there is something wrong with the timing marks,
>> what gives? I use 91 octane gas that may contain ethanol.
>>
>> mike
>>

> Sound = if you had some marbles in a coffee can and shook it lightly.
> pining is detonation which can blow a hole in your piston, or sparkplug,
> not good so get out of it ASAP if you ever hear it.
> you only lose 4 HP per degree timing, set at 6 no pings OK.

Yes, sounds like a can of marbles for an instant when I jump on it.
Thought is was rear end noise since I can't tell where the noise is
coming from. Someone suggested a u-joint.
I unlocked the distributor and turned it counter-clockwise about 3 degrees.
The car is a smidge less responsive but the noise (ping) is gone.
I could buy a new Mustang and hook it up
to a computer, but where is the fun in that?

mike