Car Wont Start. Full power, just key does not wanna work.

Old January 25th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Car Wont Start. Full power, just key does not wanna work.

Just bought a 2001 mustang convertable this summer, it was used, but in
great shape. Had no problems up till now, The car has very low KM on
it, right now sits at 80,000. Which is great.

The other morning, my wife drove it to work, started fine, when she
went to go for lunch, she put the key into the car , and NO Start.
Lights , Dashboard Controls, Stereo , every works fine. But the car
would not start.

Tried both sets of keys we have , and neither one would start the car.
Disconected the battery and still nothing. She recently had her spare
key made at ford, so and has worked fine up until today. If someone
could help me, I would apreciate it. You can email me at

My car is now parked at her work, i miss my toy. please help

Old January 25th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dave

First, dont let wife drive mustang
women like big suvs
but all kidding aside its probably the starter/solenoid
get underneath and tap starter with hammer a several times

ups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
philoman

My 2001 Mustang would not start one day 6 months after I bought it new.
The problem was that the fuel pump failed. A common problem on
some of these models.

Philoman

Old January 25th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

whenever you are really wanting to know if your battery is toast best bet is
try the horn if you have no other tools around. If the horn works well it is
probably the starter. If the horn doesn't work well, then most likely the
starter drained the battery.

I have had a few dozen cars over the years, 90 percent of the time it is a
bad starter that prevents a car from starting.

If the battery is original it is likely the battery died.

ups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

Does the engine turn over? That's a huge piece of information that we'd
need.
If it does, it could be a fuel problem or a coil.
If it doesn't, it could be a starter, battery or simply a bad connection.

ups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Hmmm.... horn = about 8 amps..... starter = about 200 to get going and ~ a
hundred or so after that...

Not a real good test procedure.

Old January 28th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Check the emergency disconnect switch in the trunk, it is as pose to
work when the car is hit in the rear end but have heard of them going
bad and causing this problem