Corrosion on Alloys.....any repair possible?

Old February 3rd 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Corrosion on Alloys.....any repair possible?

My 156 telephone dial alloys are beginning to corrode in a few places, and
now it's becoming quite noticeable.
Has anyone tried the repair kits sold in Halfords?? Any good?
How much does it cost to get a wheel refurbished professionally - is it
worth it, or is it cheaper to buy some second hand wheels? - seem to come up
on Ebay often enough.

Old February 3rd 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

156 SP3 wrote:

> My 156 telephone dial alloys are beginning to corrode in a few places, and
> now it's becoming quite noticeable.
> Has anyone tried the repair kits sold in Halfords?? Any good?
> How much does it cost to get a wheel refurbished professionally - is it
> worth it, or is it cheaper to buy some second hand wheels? - seem to come
> up on Ebay often enough.

I had the ones on my 116 done for about £40 each IIRC
--
Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3 OMF#22
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
Old February 3rd 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"156 SP3" > wrote in message
> My 156 telephone dial alloys are beginning to corrode in a few places, and
> now it's becoming quite noticeable.
> Has anyone tried the repair kits sold in Halfords?? Any good?
> How much does it cost to get a wheel refurbished professionally - is it
> worth it, or is it cheaper to buy some second hand wheels? - seem to come

up
> on Ebay often enough.

Doesn't alfa offer the 6 year anti-corroision offer on bodywork and alloys?

Old February 4th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

i had wheels refurbished at a garage due more to curbing than
corrosion and they looked as new afterwards, all for £40 a corner

Old February 5th 06, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Warranty only covers bodywork! And even then they will try and wriggle out
of it. Corrosion has to start INSIDE!

Gazza

Old February 6th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Same on my 156. Been looking at local scrap/salvage yards for a set. Shame
I can't find a set of GTA style alloys! :-( I had refurbished a previous
set on another motor for 50 quid a corner.

Marty.

Old February 6th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Thanks all for your comments. Will probably give the Halfrauds kit a go as
it's the cheapest option, and if it looks crap I'll look at the other
options. If refurb is about £40 a wheel, seems quite expensive, although I
guess there's a couple of hours work involved. I'll probably look for some
second hand ones..........anyone wanna buy some corroded alloys

Old February 6th 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

156 SP3 wrote:
> My 156 telephone dial alloys are beginning to corrode in a few places, and
> now it's becoming quite noticeable.
> Has anyone tried the repair kits sold in Halfords?? Any good?
> How much does it cost to get a wheel refurbished professionally - is it
> worth it, or is it cheaper to buy some second hand wheels? - seem to come up
> on Ebay often enough.

I've got the same problem myself. I wish I'd spotted it before the
warranty was up - my wife *twice* had her MX-5 alloys replaced FOC
because they started to bubble slightly.

A pal of mine had his alloys refurbed at about £25 a corner, but he gave
them the bare wheels (i.e. no tyres) and drove a hard bargain!

I have spotted Veloce alloys on ebay at about £200 quid, which almost
makes them as cheap as refurbishing - but either way I can't afford that
at the moment

--
Halmyre