How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 12th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob P

Default How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

> "jeffareid" > wrote in message
>> My guess is about 3 years, although it could go longer if the
>> money guys are willing to keep plowing money into the program.
>>
>> Once the newness wears off, some players will lose interest, just
>> as with any game or activity. I think it will be sometime late
>> this year or early next year before a trend is truly recognizable.
>>
>> For some older, long time racing players, iRacing may turn out
>> to be the last "fling" with spending a lot of time online.
>>
>> If iRacing were to cease being a subscription service and converted
>> into a purchaseable game, what would players be willing to pay for
>> it?
>>
>> The only previous subscription racing game I can recall was EA's
>> Motor City Online, which lasted almost 3 years (October 2001 to
>> August 2004). It was never released as an offline game.
>>
>> Another failed subscription game was URU Live, part of the Myst
>> series. The online content of the time and some stuff in the
>> works was eventually released as two games.

I think this sim will last for a very long time. As an aspiring, but crap
sim racer, this is just the kind of thing I've been looking for. A proper
persistent league. I have actually been in races now where I'm battling the
last 3 or 4 places in the race - awesome fun.

I remember on one occasion I spooked the guy in front so much that he spun
on the barrel roll in Laguna - luckily I was slow enough at that point that
I could avoid him. Playing against real people definetley makes a
difference.

Another advantage that iRacing seems to have is that it's sim seems to be
separated from the league stuff. In theory if new sim technology gets
developed or new graphics techniques come to the fore, iRacing can just
release an updated sim. They would be in a much stronger position to do
this, compared to other Software Houses as they will have a continuous
revenue stream.

My only concern is the price. Personally I think if it's going to be 20$ a
month, the rest of the package, in terms of new tracks and cars should be
free. This makes for a much more attractive package.

RobP

hummer could be done, the dinosaurs will not survive [email protected] Technology 7 July 15th 08 03:45 AM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Tom Scales BMW 2 February 9th 07 05:13 PM
Man eats own leg to survive car accident Eugene Blanchard Corvette 0 February 7th 07 11:04 PM
Update on Drive To Survive Iva Mazda 8 October 7th 06 12:56 AM
Audi UK "Long Life Service" Barry Bingham Audi 7 November 3rd 04 01:26 PM