Hard Top Time

Old December 9th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tim M.

Default Hard Top Time

Well, after 5 inches of snow earlier this week and predictions of
sleet and freezing rain for tonight, I decided that this afternoon was
the perfect time to put the hardtop on the Miata for the winter. My
son and a friend of his helped bring the top up out of the basement
and around to the garage. We installed the replacement Frankenstein
bolt for the right side (with two working together, bolting it on with
the de-welded and now-loose weld-nut proved to be no problem) and
installed the top. Plugged in the rear window defroster, and took it
out for a test drive. Snug as a bug in a rug!

The extra rear quarter visibility is immediately noticeable, as is the
additional headroom (I'm only 5' 8" but little of that is in legs (29-
inch inseam) and even thought the car does not feel at all cramped
with the softtop up, the hardtop makes it roomier and nicer). And
QUIETER! I had to turn down the radio from its previous setting, and
even had to turn off the ALC to keep it from getting too loud as I
increased speed.

No chance to see if the rear window defogger is working, but I guess
I'll find out in the morning. But the car is snug in the garage; no
freezing rain or sleet will envelop it tonight.
Old December 11th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Ya, there are several good things about the hard top and most of them
involve really cold weather but you mention another, that visibility issue
is a big one. The hard tops look like a huge improvement and quieter is
almost always good ;-)

cd
99BBB

Old December 11th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
"> Ya, there are several good things about the hard top and most
of them
> involve really cold weather but you mention another, that
> visibility issue is a big one. The hard tops look like a huge
> improvement and quieter is almost always good ;-)

I've sold my hardtop - after not putting it on the car in 2
years, it seemed silly to keep it hanging around when I could
have some cold cash in my pocket instead. When I had the '90,
the hardtop went on every winter; but now with the back window
defroster in the '04, I just haven't bothered.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old December 12th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rob[_15_]

Iva > wrote:

> Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> "> Ya, there are several good things about the hard top and most
> of them
> > involve really cold weather but you mention another, that
> > visibility issue is a big one. The hard tops look like a huge
> > improvement and quieter is almost always good ;-)
> >

> I've sold my hardtop - after not putting it on the car in 2
> years, it seemed silly to keep it hanging around when I could
> have some cold cash in my pocket instead. When I had the '90,
> the hardtop went on every winter; but now with the back window
> defroster in the '04, I just haven't bothered.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

I have a narrow driveway with a brick wall on one side, and my
neighbour's car (usually) on the other side, that I reverse into. With
the hardtop on it is so much easier with the extra visibility. In the
summer, when the hardtop is off, I always drop the softtop (if it is not
already down) to reverse in.

--
Rob - Shropshire
So many cats,
Old December 12th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter if
touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me. That glass window is
another lovely upgrade on the NB!

Chris
99BBB

Old December 12th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

> Good point, the fact that the plastic window could virtually shatter if
> touched in super cold weather seemed insane to me.

?? Have I just been lucky? Window always seemed ok in super cold... plastic,
but ok.

miker

Old December 13th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bob McDonald

Yeah, put my hardtop on in early October when we got the first snow. Missed
some nicer top-down weather in late October and throughout November, but put
the car away a couple of weeks ago (gas stabilizer, etc.) It is supposed to
be -38C here tonight with windchill of -51C. I guess that I will not be
driving the Miata again until spring. Sigh!

Old December 13th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_3_]

Bob, where are you? Our forecast tonight is -41C, (currently -31C) and
my weather experience sounds very similar to yours. Hardtop on October
8th when we had first snow. Now tucked away with 1 amp trickle charger
on for the winter.
Stuart H. near Stony Plain, Alberta

Old December 13th 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Bob, have you jumped into my 'who's hanging around here' thread below? Maybe
you're on my 07 list, not sure but, jump in if you will. Love to hear from
folks in the great white north wherever they might be.

Later,
Chris

el...

Old December 13th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Maybe it's an old Miata wives tale but, I used to hear that if you tried to
brush or, heaven help you, scrape, your rear (plastic) window in super cold
weather, it could / would shatter. I didn't figure that was the biggest
problem for the actual owner of the car, who was probably aware of the issue
but it always worried me that a friend or significant other who would, with
best intentions, try to clean the rear window as a favor and have a
disaster.

Chris
99BBB

m...