Fluttering sound in vent increases puzzlement

Old May 13th 05, 02:45 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Fluttering sound in vent increases puzzlement

Okay, this is getting weirder. Once we get above 45mph in the Wonderbus,
a rattling, fluttering sound comes out of the driver's side fresh air
vent on the dashboard. It sounds like a playing card rattling around.

If I close the vent, the sound stops. If I pull out the round grille the
sound stops, but if I put my hand over the opening to provide a little
back pressure, the sound occurs. So it's not the round grille assembly.

I have peered down the duct and can see nothing. I have opened up the
part of the duct under the dash right by the door -- six fat screws --
and found nothing. I have pulled the front grille and the driver's side
vent opening hatch (controlled by the fresh air lever on the dash) and
found nothing. I have blown compressed air into the front, down the
duct, through the duct under the dash and nothing happened.

The only part I have not opened is the more central stuff under the dash
and behind the kickboard. So how tough of a job is it to open up 100% of
the ventilation ducting? The noise is driving me nuts.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old May 13th 05, 09:57 PM
tricky

Hi Mike.

I have found leaves can make that noise.

Can you use a wire drain cleaner or similarto get in there ?

Just a thought.

Rich

Old May 14th 05, 06:27 PM
Busahaulic

Maybe you can find a really long straight downhill, wait til there's a
tailwind and with the round vent cover removed and the mesh up front
removed, try hitting about 120mph and see if something blows out! -BaH

I have never pulled the entire cover off, myself. Prolly what it will take.
Shouldn't be taht tough to do!

Old May 15th 05, 05:33 AM

On 5/14/2005 10:27 AM Busahaulic wrote:

> Maybe you can find a really long straight downhill, wait til there's a
> tailwind and with the round vent cover removed and the mesh up front
> removed, try hitting about 120mph and see if something blows out! -BaH
>
> I have never pulled the entire cover off, myself. Prolly what it will take.
> Shouldn't be taht tough to do!

Yeah, probably not.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
83.5 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana")
KG6RCR