1990 civic gas tank leak

Old November 24th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1990 civic gas tank leak

wrote:

> Filled up the tank yesterday right to the top around 6pm and then
> parked the car later that evening indoors about 11pm. Today at 2pm I
> had a puddle of gas about 1m in diameter under the gas tank by the
> driver's side rear wheel. (I was parked on a level surface).
>
> I've never experienced a gas leak before, but have a feeling its from
> the tank. Could it be that I just overfilled the tank right up into the
> neck and that a seal there is starting to go? Should I replace the
> whole tank? Any other ideas what could be causing the leak?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Theo

--------------------------------------

The reason the fire department tells Honda to tell it's owner's to stop
overfilling the tank has just appeared on your driveway. YOu can get
owner's manuals from the wrecking yards, and Honda still has many of the
old ones available.

If that fuel had gone down a sewer cap, the outcome could be very bad.

Fuel is very cold when it comes out of the ground at the gas station,
but it expands a lot as it warms. That's why it's illegal to overfill
your tank. You're not a smoker, are you? :-(

'Curly'

Old November 24th 05, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

> The reason the fire department tells Honda to tell it's owner's to stop
> overfilling the tank has just appeared on your driveway. YOu can get
> owner's manuals from the wrecking yards, and Honda still has many of the
> old ones available.

thats news to me, and i think ive read my owners manual front to back a
few times. isnt that just a general warning? or something especially
specific to hondas? hondas of that era?

> If that fuel had gone down a sewer cap, the outcome could be very bad.

not just that. if they had parked in an enclosed garage with a natural
gas water heater or gas clothes dryer, that would have been a big problem.
Old November 24th 05, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On 2005-11-24, SoCalMike > wrote:
> 'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
>>
>> The reason the fire department tells Honda to tell it's owner's to stop
>> overfilling the tank has just appeared on your driveway. YOu can get
>> owner's manuals from the wrecking yards, and Honda still has many of the
>> old ones available.
>>

> thats news to me, and i think ive read my owners manual front to back a
> few times. isnt that just a general warning? or something especially
> specific to hondas? hondas of that era?

I noticed that mine leaks when full only when the front end is on
jackstands. I assume a leaky filler tube. I had no idea it's common to
all Civics.

>> If that fuel had gone down a sewer cap, the outcome could be very bad.

> not just that. if they had parked in an enclosed garage with a natural
> gas water heater or gas clothes dryer, that would have been a big problem.

This is why building code mandate that burners of gas fired appliances
located in garages need to have their burner at least 18" above floor
level.
Old November 24th 05, 01:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

The funny thing is that this is the first time I have noticed the leak.
The only other contributing factor would be that my garage is heated
(underground in an apartment building), and the temperature just
dropped here significantly as well (around -15°c).

Old November 24th 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

theo.chan wrote:

> Filled up the tank yesterday right to the top around 6pm and then
> parked the car later that evening indoors about 11pm. Today at 2pm I
> had a puddle of gas about 1m in diameter under the gas tank by the
> driver's side rear wheel. (I was parked on a level surface).
>
> I've never experienced a gas leak before, but have a feeling its from
> the tank. Could it be that I just overfilled the tank right up into the
> neck and that a seal there is starting to go? Should I replace the
> whole tank? Any other ideas what could be causing the leak?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Theo

If the car has been driven in winter conditions often, the tank and or
parts of the fuel lines may be corroded and leaking. It happened with my
'93 Accord a few years ago. So take it to a mechanic who specializes in
this type of maintenance.

Old November 24th 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Chuck wrote:
> This is why building code mandate that burners of gas fired appliances
> located in garages need to have their burner at least 18" above floor
> level.

current building codes. i dont think it was ALWAYS that way, but it may
have been.
Old November 24th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

E Meyer wrote:

> > The reason the fire department tells Honda to tell it's owner's to stop
> > overfilling the tank has just appeared on your driveway. YOu can get
> > owner's manuals from the wrecking yards, and Honda still has many of the
> > old ones available.
> >
> > If that fuel had gone down a sewer cap, the outcome could be very bad.
> >
> > Fuel is very cold when it comes out of the ground at the gas station,
> > but it expands a lot as it warms. That's why it's illegal to overfill
> > your tank. You're not a smoker, are you? :-(
> >
> > 'Curly'

> Illegal? where? Certainly not here in Texas.

------------------------------------

Call your fire department and ask them.

In Alberta it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass jar, an antifreeze
bottle, a bucket, etc. The gas stations can get in BIG trouble if they
let you do it. Same thing if you jam you pager in the pump nozzle to
allow you to go wipe your windows while the tank is filling. (some
stations don't have the 'latch') I'm sure it is in texas too.

'Curly'

1994 wrangler gas tank leak Jeff Jeep 7 October 23rd 05 03:19 PM
1990 Honda Accord SX Leak around fuel tank Viper143 Honda 5 September 14th 05 01:22 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 02:43 PM
Larger gas tank on a '93 Civic vx [email protected] Honda 3 December 7th 04 08:48 AM