Headline I thought I'd never see

Old March 21st 12, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Default Headline I thought I'd never see

in today's paper, from Reuter's:

"Reviving Honda
After harsh criticism of its new Civic, the automaker has turned to its
engineering staff to reclaim its mojo"

wow, it only took, what--20 years?

They spent the last 20 years deliberately destroying everything they
knew, but suddenly they realize that what they used to know and execute
before they trashed the engineering focus was profitable after all?
That the alternate path they went down was wrong?

yeah. Not believing it. This has all the signs of desperate MBAs going
through the standard marketing playbook.

Here's a question to ponder: CAN they walk the walk? WILL they walk
the walk? Or is this just marketing crap? Are they down to wagging
their marketing tongues this way because they know that their actions
have spoken louder than their reputation over the last 20 years?

Maybe in 20 years, I'll consider looking at the results of this "back to
engineering" philosophy--because I don't think they have what it takes
to build that back up in any kind of hurry, if at all. But I don't get
a good feeling about this. This is just trash talk from their marketing
department, as dictated by the same assholes who trashed the engineering
focus to begin with.

Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
Scion, for God's sake. Anything.
Old March 21st 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Douglas C. Neidermeyer[_4_]

On 3/21/12 6:58 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> in today's paper, from Reuter's:
>
> "Reviving Honda
> After harsh criticism of its new Civic, the automaker has turned to its
> engineering staff to reclaim its mojo"
>
> wow, it only took, what--20 years?
>
> They spent the last 20 years deliberately destroying everything they
> knew, but suddenly they realize that what they used to know and execute
> before they trashed the engineering focus was profitable after all?
> That the alternate path they went down was wrong?
>
> yeah. Not believing it. This has all the signs of desperate MBAs going
> through the standard marketing playbook.
>
> Here's a question to ponder: CAN they walk the walk? WILL they walk
> the walk? Or is this just marketing crap? Are they down to wagging
> their marketing tongues this way because they know that their actions
> have spoken louder than their reputation over the last 20 years?
>
> Maybe in 20 years, I'll consider looking at the results of this "back to
> engineering" philosophy--because I don't think they have what it takes
> to build that back up in any kind of hurry, if at all. But I don't get
> a good feeling about this. This is just trash talk from their marketing
> department, as dictated by the same assholes who trashed the engineering
> focus to begin with.
>
> Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
> Scion, for God's sake. Anything.

If you're so down on Honda, why do you hang out in this NG? After all,
most car makes have their own NG-- so why not post there where you can
make happy noises, instead of whining?

Just sayin'....

--
You're all worthless and weak. Now drop and give me 20.
Old March 21st 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/21/2012 03:58 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> in today's paper, from Reuter's:
>
> "Reviving Honda
> After harsh criticism of its new Civic, the automaker has turned to its
> engineering staff to reclaim its mojo"
>
> wow, it only took, what--20 years?
>
> They spent the last 20 years deliberately destroying everything they
> knew, but suddenly they realize that what they used to know and execute
> before they trashed the engineering focus was profitable after all?
> That the alternate path they went down was wrong?
>
> yeah. Not believing it. This has all the signs of desperate MBAs going
> through the standard marketing playbook.
>
> Here's a question to ponder: CAN they walk the walk? WILL they walk
> the walk? Or is this just marketing crap? Are they down to wagging
> their marketing tongues this way because they know that their actions
> have spoken louder than their reputation over the last 20 years?
>
> Maybe in 20 years, I'll consider looking at the results of this "back to
> engineering" philosophy--because I don't think they have what it takes
> to build that back up in any kind of hurry, if at all. But I don't get
> a good feeling about this. This is just trash talk from their marketing
> department, as dictated by the same assholes who trashed the engineering
> focus to begin with.
>
> Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
> Scion, for God's sake. Anything.

and at this point, something that competes with hyundai/kia - they're
getting pretty good pretty damned fast.

i agree with you - at this point, it's just talk, and talk costs mba's
nothing. a couple of years back they brought out the "new crx", the
crz. and what a pile that is. as for the new nsx, there's supposed to
be one being designed here in kalifornistan right now, but we'll have to
wait and see if that's just marketing blather or not. [and does the
american public really want stuff "designed" here??? all we seem to do
for car "design" is do the mba marketing retard thing and **** up safety
by making perfectly unambiguous amber rear turn signals red so they can
be confused with brake lights, and make faux mufflers with two exit
pipes from a single feed pipe.]

tegger has been drinking the kool-aid if he believes the hype about
honda being "focused on green". the 96-2000 civic hx outperforms the
newer civic hybrids by quite some margin, and my 89 civic is more
economical than the fit - i.o.w, their walk doesn't match their talk.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old March 22nd 12, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
cameo

On 3/21/2012 3:54 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> Reality bites, don't it?
>
> But reality it is, and reality is what Honda has to live with.

Elmo is on fire again. ;-)

Old March 22nd 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/21/2012 03:53 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >, jim >
> wrote:
>
>>> Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
>>> Scion, for God's sake. Anything.

>> and at this point, something that competes with hyundai/kia - they're
>> getting pretty good pretty damned fast.

> no ****.
>
> Actually, "competes with" would not be good enough. It'd be too little,
> too late.
>
> Hey, Honda--bring out something that absolutely KILLS the Hyundai/Kia
> thing. Open the curtains in September and show us a Civic and Accord
> that slay Hyundai/Kia right where they stand, products that bury the
> competition so far down they can't get back up.
>
> And then back it up. Walk the walk. Show us not only that you CAN do
> it, but that you WILL do it.
>
> holding my breath--not.

the accord still retains some useful features - suspension - but it's
grown just /way/ too big and unwieldy to be anything i'd ever buy*.
they should have launched a larger model marque, like toyota did the
avalon, if they wanted to sell something bigger. same with the now
accord-sized civic. especially since the cars they sell under those
names in other countries are much smaller than what they sell here.

* i'd just go minivan, but even then, the current odyssey - reliability
rip-offs aside - is too big. the original was just about right.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Old March 22nd 12, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 03/21/2012 03:53 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >, jim >
> wrote:
>
>>> Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
>>> Scion, for God's sake. Anything.

>> and at this point, something that competes with hyundai/kia - they're
>> getting pretty good pretty damned fast.

> no ****.
>
> Actually, "competes with" would not be good enough. It'd be too little,
> too late.
>
> Hey, Honda--bring out something that absolutely KILLS the Hyundai/Kia
> thing. Open the curtains in September and show us a Civic and Accord
> that slay Hyundai/Kia right where they stand, products that bury the
> competition so far down they can't get back up.
>
> And then back it up. Walk the walk. Show us not only that you CAN do
> it, but that you WILL do it.
>
> holding my breath--not.

oh, and the cross-tour???? seriously, if honda's u.s. management talked
japan into that piece of garbage, it's because the former g.m. execs
honda thought they'd hired are in reality the g.m. aztec team still
working for g.m. in a sabotage role.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum