new Honda CR-V break in

Old January 2nd 10, 03:25 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:44:34 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Larry in AZ > wrote:
>
>> Waiving the right to remain silent, "Guy" > said:
>>
>> > I got a new 2010 CR-V and wife asked me how to break it in properly.
>> > What is the proper way?

>> RTFM.

>And a fine manual it is.

A thick one too.
Old January 2nd 10, 03:36 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/01/2010 06:23 PM, Guy wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:14:37 -0800, jim > wrote:

>>> The faithfully torqued (with a torque wrench, to spec, every time,
>>> without exception, since the car was new) drain plug in my '91 Accord
>>> stripped about a year and a half ago. Pretty annoying...and very
>>> unusual. But that's why they make self-tapping replacements, I suppose.
>>>
>>> (Note: I recently got a new torque wrench and checked it against the old
>>> one. They're within a foot-pound of each other.)
>>>

>> [much to the delight of "crv guy" no doubt] i actually disregard factory
>> oil pan plug torque. 45N.m is very high for something with a soft
>> aluminum crush washer under it. i use ~30N.m and have never had a
>> thread strip, nor a plug loosen or leak. replicate at your own risk.

> Thanks Jim for your honesty<smile>. At least we can agree here.

so /you/ did the math too??? somehow, i find that hard to believe.
Old January 2nd 10, 06:35 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:36:52 -0800, jim beam > wrote:

>On 01/01/2010 06:23 PM, Guy wrote:

>>> [much to the delight of "crv guy" no doubt] i actually disregard factory
>>> oil pan plug torque. 45N.m is very high for something with a soft
>>> aluminum crush washer under it. i use ~30N.m and have never had a
>>> thread strip, nor a plug loosen or leak. replicate at your own risk.

>> Thanks Jim for your honesty<smile>. At least we can agree here.

>so /you/ did the math too??? somehow, i find that hard to believe.

Wow, you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't.
I find that NOT hard to believe.
Old January 2nd 10, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/01/2010 09:35 PM, Guy wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:36:52 -0800, jim > wrote:

>>> Thanks Jim for your honesty<smile>. At least we can agree here.

>> so /you/ did the math too??? somehow, i find that hard to believe.

> Wow, you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't.
> I find that NOT hard to believe.

"you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't"???

on the basis that you're evidencing an english language "garbage out"
problem, there must also be english language "garbage in" problem with
you too. which explains everything!

Old January 2nd 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/02/2010 06:57 AM, Tegger wrote:
> jim > wrote in news:Kf-
> :
>

>> [much to the delight of "crv guy" no doubt] i actually disregard factory
>> oil pan plug torque. 45N.m is very high for something with a soft
>> aluminum crush washer under it. i use ~30N.m and have never had a
>> thread strip, nor a plug loosen or leak. replicate at your own risk.
>>

> I've used the factory washer and torque setting of 33 ft/lbs (45 Nm) for
> close to ten years now. The six years prior to that I mostly used a fiber
> washer and 20 ft/lbs.
>
> My suspicion is that oil pan thread stripping is due to /severe/
> overtightening, not adherence to the factory setting.

in my opinion, 45 N.m is over-tightening. two reasons:

1. the oil pan is a relatively soft material - it has to be to be formed
out of a single piece of steel like that. torque near yield, plus
thermal cycling loads - too close for my comfort.

2. the annealed aluminum washer starts out pretty much as soft as the
fiber washer - it seals by deformation filling all the crevices, not by
compression as such.

bottom line - once it's deformed enough to seal, it doesn't need to be
deformed any more. torque similar to the fiber washer is sufficient.

> I also suspect the factory beefed up the threads on pans made after 1991 by
> using a slightly heavier gauge of steel for the thread insert.

i'm not sure most of them even have a thread insert. if they did, it
could indeed be a stronger material and higher torque, but that's not
the point - the point is that torque only needs to be sufficient to
cause washer deformation sufficient to seal - and to provide sufficient
friction to prevent loosening. anything over that is excess. honda
have specified a mechanical load torque on a non-mechanical load fastener.
Old January 2nd 10, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 08:11:21 -0800, jim beam > wrote:

>On 01/01/2010 09:35 PM, Guy wrote:

>>> so /you/ did the math too??? somehow, i find that hard to believe.

>> Wow, you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't.
>> I find that NOT hard to believe.

>"you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't"???
>
>on the basis that you're evidencing an english language "garbage out"
>problem, there must also be english language "garbage in" problem with
>you too. which explains everything!

Thanks for giving me the best word to describe what I think of your
opinion now... "garbage". People disagree but when some people carry
on the way you do, they have something wrong. Why not make yourself
happy and PLONK me so I don't have to see your "garbage" posts any
longer.
Old January 2nd 10, 06:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Brian Smith

On 1/2/2010 1:27 PM, Guy wrote:

> Thanks for giving me the best word to describe what I think of your
> opinion now... "garbage". People disagree but when some people carry
> on the way you do, they have something wrong. Why not make yourself
> happy and PLONK me so I don't have to see your "garbage" posts any
> longer.

You have to "plonk" him to avoid seeing his posts.
Old January 2nd 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Guy[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:36:32 -0400, Brian Smith
> wrote:

>On 1/2/2010 1:27 PM, Guy wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for giving me the best word to describe what I think of your
>> opinion now... "garbage". People disagree but when some people carry
>> on the way you do, they have something wrong. Why not make yourself
>> happy and PLONK me so I don't have to see your "garbage" posts any
>> longer.

> You have to "plonk" him to avoid seeing his posts.

You're right. Still hope he PLONKS me first.
Old January 2nd 10, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/02/2010 09:27 AM, Guy wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 08:11:21 -0800, jim > wrote:

>>> Wow, you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't.
>>> I find that NOT hard to believe.

>> "you admit the factory might be wrong but you can't"???
>>
>> on the basis that you're evidencing an english language "garbage out"
>> problem, there must also be english language "garbage in" problem with
>> you too. which explains everything!

> Thanks for giving me the best word to describe what I think of your
> opinion now... "garbage". People disagree but when some people carry
> on the way you do, they have something wrong. Why not make yourself
> happy and PLONK me so I don't have to see your "garbage" posts any
> longer.

i have a better solution: you stop flaunting your willful ignorance,
then see what kind a reaction you get. think about it. if you can.

Honda Civic to easy to break into? john_c Honda 11 April 22nd 07 04:25 AM
2003 Honda Accord Break Rotors hokie_dawg Honda 9 January 24th 07 06:20 PM
Honda Accord Break Problem Jai Honda 10 January 24th 06 02:26 AM
low break pedal, non-working parking break - self-adjusters not working? [email protected] Technology 13 December 24th 05 01:32 PM
166 Break down. Brian Alfa Romeo 1 May 22nd 05 11:58 AM