Import owners are to blame for the recession

Old December 30th 08, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Derek Gee

Default Import owners are to blame for the recession

> wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:57:43 -0500, Starscream
> > wrote:
>
>>80 Knight wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, what an awful feature. Who would've thought that leaving the
>>> interior
>>> lights on for several hours would kill the battery? I think I found the
>>> problem. Chuck, you are a ****ing idiot. Please keep your Toyota. I
>>> feel
>>> better driving a GM knowing you aren't.
>>>

>>Leaving the dome light on *SHOULD NOT* prevent the car from starting,
>>unless there was a problem with the battery itself. Since batteries
>>aren't manufactured by carmakers, GM is not to blame.

> Except GM owns AC Delco and also spec's the battery.

Once again Curmudgeon, you're talking out of your ass again. For starters,
Delphi Corporation (not GM) makes AC Delco, as well some of the EverStart
batteries for Wal-Mart (most likely the 75 series for GM autos).
Technically, it's a separate corporation spun off from GM. GM engineers
would specify which battery to use with their vehicles.

And what do you know, Consumer Reports rated the two EverStart and one
Kirkland batteries as Best Buys in the November 2008 test of auto batteries
(Group 75)! Just because you're stupid enough to leave your light on all
night, don't go blaming the battery.

Derek

Old January 5th 09, 12:49 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Bob Urz

Derek Gee wrote:
> "me" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:20:16 -0500, "Derek Gee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The Taurus is performing at
>>> Toyota quality level. Even Consumer Reports has taken notice of the
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> A friend of mine traded-in his unreliable 1998 Toyota Camry for a 2008
>>> Taurus, and he's says it's the best car he's ever owned. It's only one
>>> that
>>> didn't have to go back to the dealer right away to have something fixed!

>> Yes... reuse the model name from a car that has serious electrical
>> issues and trannys that all died at 72K miles. Brilliant marketing
>> move... they're appealing to the "I want a car with a suck reputation"
>> segment.

> I've owned three older Sables (1996, 2001, 2005), and not ONE of them had
> any "serious electrical issues". I did have one whose Tranny went around
> 100,000 miles. Of the other two Sables, one tranny's was still going strong
> when I sold it at around 128,000 miles, and the other one is still fine at
> 50,000 miles.
>
> Derek

I have had five. no trannie failures.

1989 wagon. death by wife (crash)
1990 sedan 3.0L sold running (had smoother shifts than the 93)
1993 sedan 3.0L death by wife again 160K
1993 wagon 3.0L 210k+ attempted death by wife. only corner not
molested is passenger rear.
1997 sedan 3.0L bought as is with bad motor. put 3.0 in and drove it
away. 130K shifts fine. runs a little hot for my tastes but it warms up
fast in the winter.

Yes, i have had my share of motor mounts radiators and starters
alternators and water pumps. but all work i could do.

the secret of early Taurus was staying away from 3.8's. a good
strong motor, but tended to eat head gaskets (no matter what mike
hunt says...) gen3's needed fresh coolant often or they got constipated
and blew head gaskets. Thats what happened to the one i got now, but i
bought it cheap that way and put a used motor in it. Not quite sure
what they did to the latter vulcans because the earlier ones did not
seem to have these issues with brown sludge coolant.

I did see one 90 or so that i junked for parts that had a wire harness
chaffed on the engine block the could have shorted it out. It was junk
by the time i threw a hammer at it.

Taurus have been cheap, dependable cars for the most part.
there cheap to fix (compared to others) and easy to find salvage
parts for.

You don't buy a Taurus for resale value though. You buy it to drive it
to death (which my wife is quite good at )

bob

Old January 12th 09, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Gosi

In estland the reporters reported that newspapermen needed to take off
their shoes on any newsconferences with the stupid guy in the White
House.

It looks like the Russians too that reporting seriously and print the
story as truth.

http://lenta.ru/news/2009/01/12/bush1/