hatchbacks

Old February 7th 05, 04:39 AM
Magnulus

Default hatchbacks

Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in a
smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
give a choice.

I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

Old February 7th 05, 05:30 AM
Laura K

"Magnulus" > wrote in
:

> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the
> typical
> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially
> in a smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US
> don't give a choice.
>
> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to
> keep
> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

This is at the top of the list of why I drive older Saabs. Had a 1995 9000,
which is luxury sedan with a hatch. After someone ran into it, bought a 1997
900. Almost as big and with leather seats, sunroof, certainly in the luxury
class and has a very useful hatchback. The hatch, with the cover in place, is
as safe as a trunk. You can't see anything in the back. A lot safer than the
back of an SUV.
The 900 will hold 4 and their luggage without really trying. I picked up a
rocking chair at an auction Saturday night. Put it in the hatch without
having to fold the seat foward or take off the hatch cover.
Fold the rear seat flat and it's amazing what you can put in it. Plus it's
got a pass-through for skis or other long stuff.
The Saab 9-3 still has the hatchback, although the stopped making the bigger
car with a hatch when they went to the 9-5. Shame. It was a great concept.

Old February 7th 05, 06:42 AM
The Real Bev

Magnulus wrote:

> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in a
> smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
> give a choice.
>
> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

Guess how much an all-glass hatch costs if it gets broken.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 7th 05, 07:13 AM

Magnulus wrote:
> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in a
> smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
> give a choice.
>
> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

A sedan is better for kidnapping.

Old February 7th 05, 11:05 AM
Magnulus

"H" > wrote in message
> A sedan is better for kidnapping.

Or hiding bodies.

So... most Americans are mombsters.

Old February 7th 05, 12:52 PM
Bill the second

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in
> smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
> give a choice.
>
> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

I've found hatchbacks tend to have less room than the equivalent sedan.
Usually the vehicle isn't as long. Case in point: Echo hatchback vs. Echo
sedan.

Personally I'd rather a wagon over the hatchback. For a given car there is
more room than the sedan, because usually it's the same length as the sedan.
Case in point: Focus sedan vs. wagon vs. hatchback.

Old February 7th 05, 02:50 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Guess how much an all-glass hatch costs if it gets broken.

The insurance deductable?

Old February 7th 05, 08:20 PM
The Real Bev

Sam O'Nella wrote:

> > Guess how much an all-glass hatch costs if it gets broken.

> The insurance deductable?

Who keeps collision/comprehensive on a car which will be totaled out at
$500?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special
Old February 7th 05, 11:25 PM
Max

Magnulus wrote:
> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the typical
> sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially in a
> smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US don't
> give a choice.
>
> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to keep
> your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
> look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
> likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.

There amazing, I carried a fridge in my 900 turbo at 220 kilometres an
hour (approx 135 mph) with the trunk closed and a passenger.

hatchbacks forever!

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old February 7th 05, 11:25 PM
Max

Laura K wrote:
> "Magnulus" > wrote in
> :
>

>> Why do so few cars in the US have hatchbacks? I just think the
>> typical
>>sedan is retarded looking and the trunk is a waste of space- especially
>>in a smaller car. Unfortunately, many automakers and dealers in the US
>>don't give a choice.
>>
>> I heard it's because some people think a hatchback is "not safe" to
>> keep
>>your stuff in. Gimme a break, I say. Sure, people could theoretically
>>look into the car and window shop, but my guess is people would be far
>>likely to simply steal the vehicle, too, trunk or no trunk.
>>

> This is at the top of the list of why I drive older Saabs. Had a 1995 9000,
> which is luxury sedan with a hatch. After someone ran into it, bought a 1997
> 900. Almost as big and with leather seats, sunroof, certainly in the luxury
> class and has a very useful hatchback. The hatch, with the cover in place, is
> as safe as a trunk. You can't see anything in the back. A lot safer than the
> back of an SUV.
> The 900 will hold 4 and their luggage without really trying. I picked up a
> rocking chair at an auction Saturday night. Put it in the hatch without
> having to fold the seat foward or take off the hatch cover.
> Fold the rear seat flat and it's amazing what you can put in it. Plus it's
> got a pass-through for skis or other long stuff.
> The Saab 9-3 still has the hatchback, although the stopped making the bigger
> car with a hatch when they went to the 9-5. Shame. It was a great concept.

yay saabs!

--
http://www.saab-900.tk