95 Saturn Sl1 Will not start when warm

Old February 27th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 95 Saturn Sl1 Will not start when warm

I have a 95 Saturn Sl1 that starts fine when it is cold but is almost
impossible to start after it has warmed up. When it is warm you have
to crank it for quite some time, then it stutters for a while like it
is getting too much fuel ( also a cloud of smoke) until it smooths
out. After it gets going it runs fine until it is shut off and you try
to start it again. If you let it get cold it will start right up. Any
ideas as to what is wrong with it?

Old February 28th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Feb 26, 9:23 pm, wrote:
> I have a 95 Saturn Sl1 that starts fine when it is cold but is almost
> impossible to start after it has warmed up. When it is warm you have
> to crank it for quite some time, then it stutters for a while like it
> is getting too much fuel ( also a cloud of smoke) until it smooths
> out. After it gets going it runs fine until it is shut off and you try
> to start it again. If you let it get cold it will start right up. Any
> ideas as to what is wrong with it?

Could be a leaky fuel injector. You park, fuel drips out of the
injector and makes it waaay too rich.

Cold start is OK because you need a richer mixture, and the gas has
had a chance to evaporate and to drip into your crankcase.

As an aside, start the car when warm with the gas pedal to the floor,
this will help claer it if it is indeed flooded.
Be ready to let off as soon aws it fires.

Check your oil to see if it smells like gas- you may need an oil
change frequently if you're dumping gas into the oil via the
cylinders.

Only real way to diagnose 100% is to start and run the car (at idle)
with a fuel pressure guage attached, and shut the car off, and see how
fast the pressure drops.

Another way, I guess, would be to run the engine, get the car warmed
up, and shut it off by pulling the fuel pump fuse.
If you shut it off that way and it starts OK (after you put the fuse
back in), but it starts like crap if you shut it off with the key,
that would be a very good indicator you have at least one leaky
injector.

If you're lucky a fuel-injector cleaning might help if they are
leaking.

Me, ima certified cheap *******, I'd prob. put a switch in the fuel-
pump circuit and shut it off that way if that made it start OK, and it
otherwise ran OK!

Dave