96 Civic I.A.T. sensor

Old September 28th 04, 08:16 PM
Lou

Default 96 Civic I.A.T. sensor

My "check engine" light recently came on
and my mechanic ran a diagnostic check.

The computer said I needed a new Internal
Air Temperature Sensor. He got one and
installed (Honda part--not after market) it.

My mechanic reset the computer and the "check
engine" light went out.

That same day I drove the car about 100 miles
and the "check engine" light came on again. The
car, at times, idles a little rough and will die
at a stop sign sometimes. Overall, the car runs
excellent with 175,000 miles on the engine.

I took the car back to my mechanic and he once
again ran a diagnostic check which still said it
needed an Internal Air Temperature Sensor.

Has anybody had this problem? Could the new Internal
Air Temperature Sensor be faulty?

Thankyou,

Lou
Old September 28th 04, 11:43 PM
Randolph

With the same fault twice, I would suspect the wiring rather than the
IAT sensor (which by BTW is *intake* air temperature sensor, not
*internal* ...) The IAT sensor is a simple thermistor, and you can
measure the resistance of it to check if it is good.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/civicmanual/pdf/11-50.pdf has a graph of
resistance vs. temperature for the IAT sensor in the '95 Civic. There is
no reason to believe the '96 would be different, those things are quite
standardized.

If the ECU is giving a fault code, it is typically because it senses
that the IAT sensor is a dead short or an open circuit. Both faults are
just as likely to be wiring problems as problems with the IAT sensor.
Have a look at and around the connector that plugs into the IAT sensor.
Is it corroded? Full of dirt? Contacts getting loose?

Old September 29th 04, 04:53 AM
Lou

bump