to change a Honda Accord 1988 model timing belt

Old November 8th 05, 06:05 AM
Elle

Default WHAT A BOLT IS, AND HOW IT WORKS

"TeGGeR®" > wrote
> "Elle" > wrote
> > "TeGGeR®" > wrote

> >> I noticed that too. She's awful quick to get angry at somebody.

> > When you implicate a person as a liar (which you often do)

> You are exhibiting signs of being unbalanced.
>

> > or accuse
> > them of dissembling about their experience, you shouldn't be surprised
> > that they get a little hostile.

> And unbalanced people ignore apologies.

You're entitled to your judgment. <shrug>

> You'll notice an apology appeared in this thread once I realized I'd
> misunderstood your "multiple clicks" statment. Up to that point it did
> appear to me that you were embellishing your personal experience.
>

> > It's nothing like the venom that comes through your site when you
> > insist on posting a dispute between a few people there, unrelated to
> > actually repairing Hondas.

> The debate referred to on my Web site was a PUBLIC affair, conducted in
> this very PUBLIC newsgroup.
>
> You will notice I have made absolutely no reference (until now) to the
> PRIVATE emails exchanged between you and me on the subject of this thread.

You sent me one email, which was tactful and polite. The bulk of it was a
reproduction of an interesting exchange you had with one of the
boltscience.com guys. I responded back, with a single email, saying
something about how I thought trying to get at the truth was a good idea,
explaining my position again, with the understanding we wouldn't agree, and
so also offering you choices so as many people would benefit as possible
from our two sites. I hope my response was also tactful and polite. If not,
oh well.

Publication of that exchange doesn't bother me at all, unless publication is
at a site that's suppose to focus on helping people fix their Honda cars.
(Regardless, it's your site. You have the right to put up anything you want
there, within the bounds of the law, which obviously you are completely
within. I'm just telling you how I feel. And what am I? Peon, man.)

You also don't reproduce my position accurately at your site. That bothers
me yada.

Don't be, I dunno, shy about accepting this offer to just take from my site
what you'd like and putting it up at your site. I am so not into money or
getting credit on an issue like this. What's important IMO is that we agree
the point is to provide a kind of community service. Also, it compels me to
learn more, and that's fun, pure and simple.

I have no problem leaving my site up for a week or so while you copy and
paste what you want. For what the offer is worth.

I don't want you angry over this. I regret the argument, though I don't
think it was preventable for various reasons.

For the record, here's the last few paragraphs of what I emailed you several
days ago, in response to your own polite, tactful note.
---
As for your site, I don't know if you changed it to emphasize air impact
tools or not, but in fact, I do not think air impact tools should have
priority over pulley holder tools. Maybe equal standing. Or it just depends
on what one has in one's garage at the moment.

There are other technical things I'm not wild about, like the PCV valve
discussion. (You and I duked this out a while back, while I was posting
under another name, as I think you are aware.)

But to me the things above on the site would be tolerable were it not also
for the posting of a debate between you and me (not rendering my position
very well at that). It is distracting for the pulley bolt part of your site.
It's unrelated to the repair itself, which is why I think most people
(probably mostly in a hurry) go to your site in the first place. Other
homemade, personal honda sites don't inject debate into them. I think that's
why they're so praiseworthy and really to me are such a joy to read: They
overwhelm with sincerity (as in the first priority is to help others, not
have a fight) and "just the facts" of what was done or needs to be done in a
repair. Speculation is generally avoided. Debate between two named
individuals does not occur.

I took my site down and changed the pulley tool site's address, then put it
back up, expecting you wouldn't link to it. Seeing you did link it, I took
it down again, for the reasons I give above.

As I said before, if you want to take /any/ of what I did at this site and
rework it for your own needs, that's fine. But I don't want my name attached
to it. Just call me "some person." Mostly that's just to get the debate off
your own site. Let me know and I'll put it back up for a few days or until
you can take from it whatever you want. Not that it's anything special. And,
sure, your own far more extensive site does way way way more good than bad.

Otherwise, you don't need a honda repair peon like me picking away at a site
that, like I say, helps so many.

FWIW, I agree the pulley bolt discussion has borne fruit. Also, the recent
igniter and condenser discussion was fantastic. I took off my distributor
housing today, as much to clean out under there, as it had gotten pretty
oily-grimy for various reasons which I've since corrected, but also to find
this radio noise condenser. I swear my 91 Civic, like Jim's 91 CRX
distributor, also does not have one. I am baffled but not annoyed. I have
some other ideas and will explore them. The journey is as fun as the
destination, as they say, in these endeavors.
---

> You also seem to have forgotten that I PUBLICLY removed the opinion page
> that you didn't like,

That paragraph (or paragraphs) you have there (or at least still did
yesterday) are still way over the top, distracting and detracting from your
site and its goals, in my opinion.

And it's /only/ my opinion.

These sites take a lot of time and effort to put together. Again, IMO you
should take note of how many people praise your efforts there and how much
good the 'Unofficial Honda FAQ Site' does. The hell with my efforts.

Old November 10th 05, 12:08 AM
Abeness

Elle wrote:
> You sent me one email, which was tactful and polite.

Please, guys, this has been what should be a private discussion now for
some time. None of us here in the public forum need to see this. Please
take it off the NG. Thanks.

Abe
Old November 30th 05, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default to change a Honda Accord 1988 model timing belt

> Elle Nov 4, 12:09 pm show options
>
> "SoCalMike" > wrote
>
> > Burt S. wrote:
> > > If the bolt doesn't tighten itself on a part that has
> > > a potential for play then their is a potential for the
> > > bolt to unwind. Either stake it, castlenut/cotter pin
> > > it or in this case use a one-way threaded bolt.

> > interesting...

> > now if THIS doesnt "muddy the water" i dunno what will

> > a one way threaded bolt that relies on the pulley moving
> > to tighten it... whoda thunk it?

> Dunno.
>
> Burt, I am not convinced that the pulley bolt's
> threads are cut such that the vibrations of the back
> and forth motion of the pulley tighten it. I am not
> finding anything of this nature described on the web,
> and it doesn't exactly pass the common sense test. I
> don't have a good bolt textbook, either, so my
> engineering texts treat this only generally. (Usual
> disclaimer: No engineer knows anything special,
> anyway.)
>
> However, Burt, your discussion of how much force the
> pulley applies to the bolt head during operation does
> provoke thought. If that bolt weren't there, that
> pulley would go flying off, right? So of course the
> pulley exerts a force, and surely a sizable one, on
> the underside of the bolt head. (I think Tegger and
> Jim touched upon this reality, too. I was a little
> focused on stretching by thermal effects and should
> have considered stretching by mechanical effects.)
>
> The question to me is whether then the force is enough
> to stretch the bolt. If so, then of course since
> stretching a bolt is a known means of reducing its
> diameter, then the crankshaft will tend to screw up on
> the bolt. (Note for total newbies: Industry uses
> hydraulic devices to literally stretch certain bolts,
> screw them into place, then release the hydraulic
> pressure, all to achieve a certain force.)
>
> Once the crankshaft stops rotating, the bolt
> stretching ceases, the bolt length collapses as much
> as the thread engagement allows, and it will have a
> higher axial load in it, translating to a higher
> torque to free the bolt.
>
> The higher torque won't necessarily translate to axial
> loads that are standard, since the threads of the
> pulley bolt are non-standard in at least one way:
> Super fine threads.
>
> Burt, I don't want to buy a new pulley bolt, and I
> want to minimize taking my Civic's bolt off and
> putting it on. I may free it in the next month or so,
> when I have a tire rotation to do, torque it to spec,
> paint a line across pulley and bolt, then monitor the
> line.

Elle, how frequently are your class rooms filled with laughter?

..