__ 'Curly' needs a Carfax - Anybody got one?

Old September 21st 05, 07:10 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

Default __ 'Curly' needs a Carfax - Anybody got one?

I'm looking at a 2000 CR-V, but the history on it is very mysterious.

I already shelled out $20 for an 'Alberta Registries' search, but it
only goes back to March '05.

Pretty sure it came from Manitoba originally.

Can anybody help me out with VIN# JHLRD187XYC805696 ? ?

Thanks in advance. 'Curly' Since there are a couple of _under_scores_
hidden in my return address, you'll have to remove them to reply . . . .
Thanks.
Old September 22nd 05, 05:12 AM
T L via CarKB.com

curly, my buddy works at a Manitoba Public Insurance broker, I will see if he
can do a VIN check for you.

loewent at googlemail (no oogle) dot com

Old September 22nd 05, 08:45 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

OK, I got one, thanks very much to the sender ! !

'Curly'
Old September 23rd 05, 12:07 AM
TeGGeR®

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in
:

> OK, I got one, thanks very much to the sender ! !

So.....?

Anything lurid and exciting? Odometer rollback? Drug-gang car? Destroyed in
volcanic eruption? Anything? C'mon....

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 23rd 05, 05:03 AM
'Curly Q. Links'

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in
> :
>

> > OK, I got one, thanks very much to the sender ! !
> >

> So.....?
>
> Anything lurid and exciting? Odometer rollback? Drug-gang car? Destroyed in
> volcanic eruption? Anything? C'mon....
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

=============================

Yes, indeed. Seven reported accidents in a couple of years. Owner must
have suffered from undiagnosed narcolepsy (falling asleep unexpectedly),
or a legally blind person (kept driving into things).

I might have to pass on this one....

BTW, I had to beat the bushes to find these facts. The carfax had no
record of any of that stuff. :-(

'Curly'
Old September 23rd 05, 11:29 AM
TeGGeR®

"'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in
:

> "TeGGeR®" wrote:
>>
>> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in
>> :
>>

>> > OK, I got one, thanks very much to the sender ! !
>> >

>> So.....?
>>
>> Anything lurid and exciting? Odometer rollback? Drug-gang car?
>> Destroyed in volcanic eruption? Anything? C'mon....
>>
>> --
>> TeGGeR®
>>
>> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> =============================
>
> Yes, indeed. Seven reported accidents in a couple of years. Owner must
> have suffered from undiagnosed narcolepsy (falling asleep
> unexpectedly), or a legally blind person (kept driving into things).

Seven? SEVEN?

This car must be crumpled tin-foil by now. Seven?

> I might have to pass on this one....
>
> BTW, I had to beat the bushes to find these facts. The carfax had no
> record of any of that stuff. :-(

I believe it. How'd you "beat the bushes"? What did you actually end up
doing? Might be handy for others to know.

As an aside, somebody in another group had a Carfax subscription and was
offering to do checks for people for the little bit he had left and wasn't
going to use. I ran my VIN past him, and Carfax correctly reported only one
owner, but failed to mention the fender-bender I had a few years ago.

Another car based in California was run through Carfax. Carfax accurately
(and in detail) reported the repeated emission test failures this car had
had, and reported the number of owners.

It seems Carfax only gets its info if insurance companies, state motor
vehicle departments, and the like, report to them what's been done. If
nobody reports, it doesn't get entered.

Old September 23rd 05, 02:28 PM
'Curly Q. Links'

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

> I believe it. How'd you "beat the bushes"? What did you actually end up
> doing? Might be handy for others to know.

--------------------------------

This is good: Some help came from a fellow on the newsgroup who knows a
guy who used to work with a guy who works for an insurer who was able to
just phone the DMV in his city and ask for the name of the 'Most recent
registered Owner' (nothing illegal about that).

I phoned the Department of Motor Vehicles in every province the car had
resided, and one was VERY forthcoming with the details. Then I searched
the name of the 'last registered owner' and found it was an AUCTION,
(google told me the owner supports Ducks Unlimited, BTW), and then I
phoned a used car dealer (I knew) in the same city and asked him all
about the auction in question. He was very talkative.

BTW: Carfax will say "there's no sign of odometer tampering" even if
there are NO READINGS ON RECORD. A truthful, but misleading statement.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of this vehicle's Out-of-Province
Inspection. It should read like a cheap horror novel. :-)

'Curly'
Old September 23rd 05, 08:34 PM
SoCalMike

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Another car based in California was run through Carfax. Carfax accurately
> (and in detail) reported the repeated emission test failures this car had
> had, and reported the number of owners.

in california, all you need to do is enter the license plate number in
the DMV website and itll tell you its smog check history. no VIN needed!
Old September 23rd 05, 09:42 PM

In rec.autos.makers.honda SoCalMike > wrote:
> in california, all you need to do is enter the license plate number in
> the DMV website and itll tell you its smog check history. no VIN needed!

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx
No mileage there... pity.

It shows no hits at all on my recent vehicles.
Don't you get to go about four years before a smog check on a new car?

It was a little amusing to see an old vehicle of mine moving around the
area. At first I thought it was wrong. I've never been to there... but it
was after I sold it. Another one that I gave away failed smog, but I see it
magically passed three years later ;-)

--
---