2002 Honda CRV 4wd ex catalytic converter

Old January 28th 12, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
rpjazzguitar

Default 2002 Honda CRV 4wd ex catalytic converter

Any help with the following would be appreciated.

Engine light coming on intermittently for months. Code is Catalytic
converter (bank 1, I think he said).

Can this be anything but the catalytic converter?

Dealer price for the part is about $1725.

It doesn't seem to be available as an after market item. The 49 state
(not Calif) models are just a few hundred dollars, but the California
one is something like six times more expensive.

Is there any way to do this properly at lower cost? Does anybody offer
a California approved part other than the dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Old January 28th 12, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/27/2012 05:47 PM, rpjazzguitar wrote:
> Any help with the following would be appreciated.
>
> Engine light coming on intermittently for months. Code is Catalytic
> converter (bank 1, I think he said).

you need the exact code. o'reilly's will lend you a reader for free.

> Can this be anything but the catalytic converter?

it might be the sensor.

> Dealer price for the part is about $1725.
>
> It doesn't seem to be available as an after market item. The 49 state
> (not Calif) models are just a few hundred dollars, but the California
> one is something like six times more expensive.

online dealers are a little cheaper.

> Is there any way to do this properly at lower cost? Does anybody offer
> a California approved part other than the dealer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rick

some smog testers are really particular to check whether it's a ca cat
or not. others just look only at the emissions. and for them, if the
emissions are good, you're set - even if you have a 49-state one.

first thing is to get the code and if possible scope the sensors. if
bad replace. if good, then replace the cat. even at full price, it's
still cheaper than a new car.

the ca cat laws changed about 06 iirc. i bought a cat for a car back in
05 which was then 50-state legal, but only 49-state legal after the new
law. because i already had it, i used it to fix a car, and when getting
it smogged, the tester was trying to get on his high horse about its
legality, even though the emissions were great. [i think he was fishing
for repair work.] i took it to another test-only station and they
didn't bother, and just passed it based on the test readings.

bottom line, if you can't do this stuff yourself, take it to an
independent and get them to take care of it. don't ask questions.

and the ca laws aren't totally pointless on this. basically, new ca
cats have to be certified as lasting at least 6 years. most 49-state
cats can't and won't do that so their cheaper initial price is a false
economy.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old January 28th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

rpjazzguitar > wrote in :

> Any help with the following would be appreciated.
>
> Engine light coming on intermittently for months. Code is Catalytic
> converter (bank 1, I think he said)

Sorry, but your description is too vague. We need an actual
OBD-II DTC code. I'm expecting something along the lines of "P0420".

How many miles on the car? If around 150K, that's about the lifespan
of cats under the new regulations, so if you've got a P0420, it's
likely legit, and the cat needs to be replaced. The same cat under
1991 regs would be just fine.

There /are/ CARB-legal aftermarket units. See he
<http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm>

If that's too confusing, here's a direct link:
<http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf>

But that's probably even more confusing. Just call the ARB directly,
at 1-800-242-4450.

If you don't want to go through the ugliness of havig to deal with
your lawfully-elected government, see this Google search:
<http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=17&gs_id=3a&xhr=t&q=californ ia+catalytic+converter&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=california+cataly&aq=0&aqi=g 4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.os b&fp=588b3e7678b699e9&biw=1920&bih=1025>
Any muffler shop should be able to help you with this.

Don't you love your lawfully-elected government?

--
Tegger
Old January 28th 12, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/28/2012 04:13 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >, jim >
> wrote:
>
>> and the ca laws aren't totally pointless on this. basically, new ca
>> cats have to be certified as lasting at least 6 years. most 49-state
>> cats can't and won't do that so their cheaper initial price is a false
>> economy.

> I hadn't heard this.
>
> Are these relatively expensive items really becoming cheap disposables,
> like lighters?

no, but 49-state cats can be had for as little as $50 for one of my
cars. at that price, i guarantee you there's not a lot of platinum on
board so it's not going to last.

> So I should specify a CA model if I need a replacement?

well, that's the theory. depends on the manufacturer. afaict, there's
no difference between a 49-state and a 50-state magnaflow cat for
instance, other than price - and that magnaflow had to pay a freakin'
fortune to get the ca "version" certified which they pass on to the
consumer. [there aren't many ca-certified manufacturers - most just
raised the middle finger at that cert cost extortion.]

it all comes down to quality. a decent quality 49-state will last and
pass emissions reliably in california - inspection notwithstanding. and
if a decent 49-state lasts 5 years, and the ca version lasts 6 at 5x the
price, i'd go for the 49-state!

[need to be careful as to why a cat needs replacing though. a long term
slow head gasket leak for instance will ruin a cat because the
antifreeze getting burned will poison it. and hondas are bad for slow
gasket leaks. while other cars without head problems have cats that
last many hundreds of thousands of miles.]

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old January 28th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 01/28/2012 08:24 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >, jim >
> wrote:
>
>> [need to be careful as to why a cat needs replacing though. a long term
>> slow head gasket leak for instance will ruin a cat because the
>> antifreeze getting burned will poison it. and hondas are bad for slow
>> gasket leaks. while other cars without head problems have cats that
>> last many hundreds of thousands of miles.]

> A buddy of mine found a Delorean in a barn last year, and ended up
> buying it. Hadn't been run since 1985. Owner said "last time we ran
> it, the cats got cherry red". He was a tad worried about that one...
>
> ...until a couple nights ago when he FINALLY got around to tearing into
> it and discovered the fuel metering system (look it up) was stuck--in a
> way that would pour unused fuel straight through the system, where it
> would burn up in the cats.
>
> Man, was he relieved. He was worried about cat replacement, but it
> looks like all he needed was a $450 fuel metering system.

the cats aren't much of a problem to fabricate* - a good tig weld and
some exhaust grade stainless works wonders.

* the cats themselves come in mostly standard sizes - it's the feed
pipes and the flanging that's the issue - and they can be recovered from
the old cats and welded to the new without too much problem.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum