Fwd: Low Tire Pressure Light

Old December 30th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Wenz

Default Fwd: Low Tire Pressure Light

On my 2011 Fit, bought in March, 2011. The Honda Dealer's response after
I emailed the readings I received from all 4 mounted tires and the
spare. The mounted tires were all 6 psi low + -1 psi. The spare was 15
psi below the 60 psi per Honda"s manual. The dealer's response:

" Dan, the air pressure must be checked seasonally air in the tires
expand in summer and contract in winter you'll want to ck them again
when it gets hot outside happy holidays,Glenn"

I've owned cars from my new 1954 Ford to the new Fit, in climates in the
USA from New Jersey to Texas , Massachusetts, and, currently Maryland.
Never have I seen such a "loss" from March to the end of November here
in NE Maryland. When I received the car, the inside of the windshield
was covered with a hard-to-remove deposit, obviously not touched by the
dealer prior to my pickup. I suspect little if any of the "dealer
inspection" was done based on the above. The spare was 25% low, which
the gas laws I learned early in my studies as a chemistry major WAY back
in time don't support for the relatively small temperature difference
from a typical early day in March to late November! A further request to
the dealer to explain the spare 15 pound loss has gone unanswered to
date! The dealer won't see me again :-)

Old December 31st 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dan Wenz

Default Low Tire Pressure Light

On 12/30/2011 6:57 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> You've owned cars since 1954, and apparently have never checked the air
> in the tires for yourself.

How apparent? I've easily gone 6-8 months in the past sans checking and
never had to add the amount of air that the Fit required. 2-3 times/yr.
in the past have proven sufficient (less than 3 psi down). Long trips
(>100 miles) are preceded by a check also. New cars in the past were by
GM, Ford, Toyota, lastly Honda.
Old December 31st 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
billzz

I pass by with the observation that small tires lose air (as a percentage of volume) "quicker" than large tires. So if the Fit is your first small car you might not be expecting that.
Old January 5th 12, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mathu

I do not think there is anything wrong with your tires.....I check and
adjust tire pressure once a month, and I drive about 800 miles/month;
usually 3-5 psi loss is seen in-between. Used to do that when I was in
your neck of the woods (Maryland), and now in Michigan. This with 3
Civics over the last 25 years...1983FE (retired), 1991 Hatch Std.
(still my daily driver, 250,000 K miles, still doing 40 mpg highway),
2001 Sedan AT.

As for your spare, most likely no one checked the tire pressure once
it left the factory. The spare can lose quite a bit of pressure over
the course of a year if left unchecked.

Tire pressure light harrym Chrysler 1 September 5th 08 12:33 AM
2005 Toyota Sienna - tire pressure warning light after replacing one tire [email protected] Technology 7 December 2nd 07 09:47 PM
Low Tire Pressure Warning System [email protected] Corvette 3 August 18th 06 04:02 PM
Tire Pressu How low can I go? JeePenn Jeep 21 March 2nd 06 05:19 PM
Tire Pressure (How low can I go?) news Technology 7 November 14th 05 08:10 PM