Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers

Old December 27th 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
KBH

Default Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers

There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.

Here is a link:

http://www.kbhscape.com/driving.htm

Old December 27th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
KBH

On Dec 27, 1:31*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> Last time on rec.autos.driving, KBH > said:
>
> >There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
> >taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
> >of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.

> That's just fascinating. Say, do you know of a school which teaches
> shills not to post SPAM to USENET?
> --

Turn on your light-bulb.

That post is not shill or spam either one.

It's editorial and nothing but editorial.

It's a suggestion for driving courses.

Old December 28th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Dec 27, 2:22*pm, KBH > wrote:
> On Dec 27, 1:31*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
>
> > Last time on rec.autos.driving, KBH > said:

> > >There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
> > >taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
> > >of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.

> > That's just fascinating. Say, do you know of a school which teaches
> > shills not to post SPAM to USENET?
> > --

> Turn on your light-bulb.
>
> That post is not shill or spam either one.
>
> It's editorial and nothing but editorial.
>
> It's a suggestion for driving courses.

The fact that the link is to _your_ site says you are shilling and it
_is_ spam.

Harry K
Old December 28th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tropidechis

On 2009-12-27 18:44:35 +1000, KBH > said:

> There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
> taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
> of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.
>
> Here is a link:
>
> http://www.kbhscape.com/driving.htm

Hmmm... if this is a bona fide driving skills site then this might
explain why Americans are so bad at driving. The advise given here is
poor and potentially very dangerous.

Old December 28th 09, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"KBH" > wrote in message
> There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
> taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
> of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.
>
> Here is a link:
>
> http://www.kbhscape.com/driving.htm

Here are the three emergency driving maneuvers mentioned on that site, and
the reader can be the judge of whether that site vs. another site or
publication has the best information:

The Emergency Lane Change
Making an Unexpected Curve
Emergency Braking

Old December 28th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 20:33:37 -0800 (PST), Harry K
> wrote:

>On Dec 27, 2:22*pm, KBH > wrote:

>> > That's just fascinating. Say, do you know of a school which teaches
>> > shills not to post SPAM to USENET?
>> > --

>> Turn on your light-bulb.
>>
>> That post is not shill or spam either one.
>>
>> It's editorial and nothing but editorial.
>>
>> It's a suggestion for driving courses.

>The fact that the link is to _your_ site says you are shilling and it
>_is_ spam.
>
>Harry K

The site asks for nothing from the visitor. It's just a site KBH
created to offer his advice. If he starts posting the same "come
visit" everyday in multiple newsgroups he might cross the line, but a
few posts here and there for a free personal site really isn't spam.
He should just put it in his sig like many other people do for their
personal sites.
Old December 28th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:44:35 -0800 (PST), KBH >
wrote:

>There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
>taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
>of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.
>
>Here is a link:
>
>http://www.kbhscape.com/driving.htm

The basic ideas you list are sound. I didn't read everything but the
stuff you wrote on "Anti-Lock Brakes" is full of errors and some of
the other stuff isn't very accurate or well explained. Keep in mind,
many of the netizens here disagree with things that even the best
known professional racers have to say about some of these topics.
Old December 28th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Dec 27, 3:44*am, KBH > wrote:
> There are three important emergency driving maneuvers that can be
> taught to the average person. That's the viewpoint of the KBH School
> of Defensive Driving and Emergency Maneuvers.
>
> Here is a link:
>
> http://www.kbhscape.com/driving.htm

If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't even dream of
attempting to describe it in words, much less so briefly.

Outside of r.a.d. the first paragraph is among the very worst claptrap
I've ever read, on any subject, anywhere.

But, it is funny.

"The Emergency Lane Change: With a car of average response make an
emergency lane change to the left at 70 MPH by flicking the steering
wheel very fast from the 12 O'Clock position to the 9 O'Clock
position, blink two times, and flick the steering wheel very fast back
to the 12 O'Clock position. The car will have moved one lane over to
the left."

You seem to suffer from excessive specific and general vagueness and
attempt to compensate with an incredible capacity for baseless
assumptions.

Nimzovich, in his Sicilian Defense I believe, specified "no more than
3 blinks" between the opponent's move and the response, but that only
encompassed Black's opening 2 moves and generously allows for anywhere
between 0 and 3 blinks. Other than that, I do not believe I have
ever read any technical descriptions of any sort that suggested
intervals be measured in "blinks".

According to some necessarily rough and hasty arithmetic your 70 mph
"emergency" lane change covers 11 lateral feet in 0.7 seconds (14.3
fps) (in a mere ~71.8 linear feet) (nearly instantaneously going from
0 to 9.75 mph and back to 0 again, laterally, in less than 3/4
second).

What's that work out to in G?

> Note that the paired action avoids losing control of steering inputs

I'm noting "the paired action" ("pair"="actionS") and "losing control
of steering inputs" is nothing more than pseudo-technical babble and
complete and utter nonsense.

>and promises overall control of the car.

That's one hell of a promise, to a driver you know nothing of, at 70
mph.

> Of course an emergency lane change to the right should also be practiced."

Where?

Shouldn't I work up to 70 mph from... somewhere...?

Maybe practice "pairing" my "actions" and blinking while at a stop,
get a feel for those parts, first?
-----

- gpsman
Old December 29th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
KBH

I think that poster that responed is really saying that the average
person can't be taught three structured emergency driving maneuvers...

But the emergency lane change is transitional, the tire slip angles
never take a plant. And the speed of the emergency lane change makes
it a lateral flick rather than an S-Curve. Now the emergency lane
change as described was developed with a year 2000 Cadillac Eldorado.
Then it was suggested that a different technique would be necessary
for a two-seat sports car. And so that implies that driving technique
can depend on the car.

But "paired steering inputs" is the death of the logic here ?
Actually the average person is losing control of steering inputs in
emergency situations and that when they are not even close to being in
an actual slide. They average driver needs a structured method of
response...

And where are these three emergency driving maneuvers practiced ? The
editorial said that the three emergency driving maneuvers were
suggestions for driving courses...
Old December 29th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 23:22:10 -0800 (PST), KBH >
wrote:

>I think that poster that responed is really saying that the average
>person can't be taught three structured emergency driving maneuvers...
>
>But the emergency lane change is transitional, the tire slip angles
>never take a plant. And the speed of the emergency lane change makes
>it a lateral flick rather than an S-Curve. Now the emergency lane
>change as described was developed with a year 2000 Cadillac Eldorado.
>Then it was suggested that a different technique would be necessary
>for a two-seat sports car. And so that implies that driving technique
>can depend on the car.
>
>But "paired steering inputs" is the death of the logic here ?
>Actually the average person is losing control of steering inputs in
>emergency situations and that when they are not even close to being in
>an actual slide. They average driver needs a structured method of
>response...
>
>And where are these three emergency driving maneuvers practiced ? The
>editorial said that the three emergency driving maneuvers were
>suggestions for driving courses...

Is English your native language? Or were you smoking something while
writing?

What is Defensive Driving Online Course? Peterson123 4x4 0 June 30th 08 11:47 AM
Defensive Driving Classes Dionnesupermom Driving 15 March 2nd 07 12:17 PM
Defensive Driving class mkogan Driving 3 June 14th 06 06:26 PM
Defensive Driving Dean S. Lautermilch Saturn 0 July 3rd 05 01:45 PM
Texas and Defensive Driving guy Driving 9 June 28th 05 09:15 PM