Need info, please (BMW 524 TD)

Old January 12th 05, 03:34 PM
Cheg

Default Need info, please (BMW 524 TD)

Just wanted to know if anyone knew about the BMW 524 TD (1989). A person is
selling one at what seems to be a good price ($9400CDN) with 144000 kliks on
it. No rust, no dents, etc.

Cheers and tia for any info given

--
Alex

Remove 'LEAFS" to reply

Old January 12th 05, 06:00 PM
Matt O'Toole

Cheg wrote:

> Just wanted to know if anyone knew about the BMW 524 TD (1989). A
> person is selling one at what seems to be a good price ($9400CDN)
> with 144000 kliks on it. No rust, no dents, etc.
>
> Cheers and tia for any info given

They're not the greatest diesels ever built. They're prone to head gasket
problems like their gasoline cousins, and being a converted gasoline engine, are
not as long lived as some other diesels. They're still good though, at least as
good as the gasoline models. Performance is similar to the eta, but with better
fuel economy.

That price seems high, though, unless the car is pristine. I would expect to
pay less than US$6000 for a 5-Series of that age, and probably closer to
US$4000.

Matt O.

Old January 13th 05, 12:49 AM
Somebody

"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
> Cheg wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to know if anyone knew about the BMW 524 TD (1989). A
> > person is selling one at what seems to be a good price ($9400CDN)
> > with 144000 kliks on it. No rust, no dents, etc.
> >
> > Cheers and tia for any info given

> They're not the greatest diesels ever built. They're prone to head gasket
> problems like their gasoline cousins, and being a converted gasoline

engine, are
> not as long lived as some other diesels. They're still good though, at

least as
> good as the gasoline models. Performance is similar to the eta, but with

better
> fuel economy.
>
> That price seems high, though, unless the car is pristine. I would expect

> pay less than US$6000 for a 5-Series of that age, and probably closer to
> US$4000.

Traditionally, say last year, CDN 9400 = US 6000. But with our dollar as it
is lately, CDN 9400 = US 7800. Now, does our dollar doing well mean that
that same cdn $9400 car is less of a deal? Perhaps compared to importing...
which has it's own share of foibles.

Anyway it does sounds like rather a lot for a car that old. If your heart
is set on a deisel, it might be your best bet, but it's kind of high.

Pedigree is everything, demand (at that price) impeccable service history.

-Russ.

Old January 13th 05, 07:15 AM
Peter Bozz

Cheg wrote:
> Just wanted to know if anyone knew about the BMW 524 TD (1989). A person is
> selling one at what seems to be a good price ($9400CDN) with 144000 kliks on
> it. No rust, no dents, etc.
>
> Cheers and tia for any info given

Wow, that's pretty expensive. Given the current exchange rates, that's
about 6,000 Euros. Here in Holland, 6,000 Euros will fetch you a
handsome '94-'95 525TDS (with the next generation, "better" M51 engine,
which has the timing chain instead of the belt, and can last up to
500,000 km). And Holland is not exactly "cheap car" country.

Can this steep price be due to high demand for diesels in Canada?

In any case, I'd advise you to look for a 525TD(S) instead, if you can
afford it. As far as performance, reliability and maintenance is
concerned, the M51 is a much better engine than the M21 (which the 524
has). Especially if you get one of the newer (mid '90s) cars.
Old January 13th 05, 06:21 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

And a fine car it is, too.

DAS
---

"Cheg" > wrote in message
[...]
> presently drive a 1984 Mercedez 300D (am I allowed to say that in this
> newsgroup? ) and I was thinking of perhaps switching.

[...]

Old January 14th 05, 06:21 PM
Matt O'Toole

Peter Bozz wrote:

> Cheg wrote:
>> Just wanted to know if anyone knew about the BMW 524 TD (1989). A
>> person is selling one at what seems to be a good price ($9400CDN)
>> with 144000 kliks on it. No rust, no dents, etc.
>>
>> Cheers and tia for any info given
>>

> Wow, that's pretty expensive. Given the current exchange rates, that's
> about 6,000 Euros. Here in Holland, 6,000 Euros will fetch you a
> handsome '94-'95 525TDS (with the next generation, "better" M51
> engine, which has the timing chain instead of the belt, and can last
> up to 500,000 km). And Holland is not exactly "cheap car" country.
>
> Can this steep price be due to high demand for diesels in Canada?

Absolutely. Diesels are really "hot" right now in North America. Not many of
these cars were imported, and demand is way outstripping supply these days.
Besides recent high fuel prices, making and using your own biodiesel is a trendy
hobby right now. TDI Volkswagens are selling for more than BMWs of similar age
and mileage, which cost 50% more to begin with. Rusty VW Rabbits that would
have sold for $400 15 years ago are bringing 5 times that much these days. Who
woulda thunk?!

If I had an old diesel, I'd be selling it right now too, and cashing in on the
latest trend. But I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that transaction!

> In any case, I'd advise you to look for a 525TD(S) instead, if you can
> afford it. As far as performance, reliability and maintenance is
> concerned, the M51 is a much better engine than the M21 (which the 524
> has). Especially if you get one of the newer (mid '90s) cars.

These were never imported to the US at least, and probably Canada too. I've
seen exactly one for sale on eBay, which would not be the case if they were
imported to North America at all. BTW, it sold for 50% more than a gasoline
version of similar age and mileage.

My advice to the OP -- you can get an immaculate 528e for US$2500 or less. The
difference in price could buy you a hell of a lot of gasoline.

Matt O.

Old January 15th 05, 09:36 AM
ENN

I cant understand why BMW dosent start to sell their excelent diesel cars in
USA, here in EU they have a big marketshare, is there some (good) reasons
for that? I know that the demands for diesels are high and groving in EU so
maybe thay dosent have enough og them to start an export to US?

BTW I have a E46 320d and a E30 324TD, the 324 is fast and reliable, but
prone to head gasket problems if drived hard (especialy when driving long
hauls with WOT on German Autobahns) where i live (Denmark) we are not
alloved to drive faster than 130 km/h and Headgasket failures are rare.

The 324TD is however a rather old construction (pre chamber Diesel), the E46
320d is a much more modern engine construction (Direct injection - no
prechamber) - runs smoother quiter and much more fuel efficient, - but could
be hard to find a E46 Diesel in US/Canada.

Isent it possible to import some E46 Diesels to USA/Canada??

Old January 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Lack of low-sulfur fuels on nationwide basis (though that's changing),
differing emission regs on state basis, memories of nasty old diesel
engines, cheap petrol....

DAS
---

"ENN" > wrote in message
k...
>I cant understand why BMW dosent start to sell their excelent diesel cars
>in USA, here in EU they have a big marketshare, is there some (good)
>reasons

[...]

Old January 15th 05, 01:57 PM
ENN

I recal the comments from My american family, who visit us every year when
they first drove the E46 320d - they said - wow it is quite fast that car,
and the milage is incredible (they borrowed it 4 days to drive acros
Denmark) - I told them it was a Diesel and my Cousin said "no way" cant be -
after looking under the bonnet he was completely amased, you dont notice
it`s a Diesel the torque is better than a 325 Petrol and milage i app 2x
better than what a 325 petrol version gets.

1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 01:18 PM
VAG-COM - what does it do? Where to find more info? Gene Buckwalter Audi 2 January 2nd 05 02:08 AM
Technical info 145/146 [email protected] Alfa Romeo 5 May 27th 04 07:22 PM
Renault 19, where to find forums and tech info? Chotie Audi 0 May 24th 04 10:33 AM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM