4x4 Camper Van

Old December 15th 04, 01:19 AM
Tyler Durden

Default 4x4 Camper Van

I get out of the Army in a year and my wife and I plan to do nothing
more than travel around the country visiting friends and blowing some
savings. I've been kinda caged up in a uniform for 8 years, and it's
time to decompress and get a little perspective. I envision the camper
we travel in as representing the key that unlocks that cage. So this is
important! See?

That being said, I'm looking for something that can handle snow really
well as we will ultimately end up landing in Alaska. I started this
search because I was so enamored with the old VW Westphalia Syncro (an
AWD VW camper van). But it occured to me that a 1992 (the last year
they made them) model anything is too old. So my quest has led me to
find the 4x4 Sportsmobile (www.sportsmobile.com) conversion vans and
the GTRV folks in British Columbia (www.gtrv.com). They both seem to
build some fantastic products, although they are a little pricey
compared to the old Westies. Any opinions on these?

My real concern that I can't kick is gas milage. I'm trying desperately
to have my cake and eat it too. I want an AWD or 4x4 full camper
(meaning at a minimum stove, water, fridge, sleeps 4) that will do at
least 20 mpg. If all the stars aligned, someone out there knows how to
make this happen. And yes, I realize this may spark the diesel debate -
but I'd go diesel if it was designed for fuel efficiency as a first
consideration instead of tourque (european style).
What would you look at buying if you were me?

4x4 Camper Van Tyler Durden 4x4 13 December 26th 04 12:25 AM
Camper shell hoist Swissguy 4x4 1 November 2nd 04 04:44 PM
Uphill with a camper....:)) Willem-Jan Markerink 4x4 6 August 23rd 04 08:18 PM
Has anyone pulled a camper with Grand Caravan Sport or GC Dodge 10 August 11th 04 01:33 PM