1995 GMC Jimmy - 6 mpg - HELP!

Old February 5th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default 1995 GMC Jimmy - 6 mpg - HELP!

I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder (Vortec) "W"
engine. It is running rich and gets only 6 miles per gallon. I found the
3 sparkplugs on the passenger side fouled with carbon, while the 3 plugs on
the driver side have normal wear. What is the most likely cause of the
problem? Any ideas will be most welcome.

Old February 6th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

The fuel pressure regulator is leaking inside intake manafold.I bet it
has a long crank before it starts at times.

Old February 6th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

mrosner1 wrote:
> I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder (Vortec) "W"
> engine. It is running rich and gets only 6 miles per gallon. I found the
> 3 sparkplugs on the passenger side fouled with carbon, while the 3 plugs on
> the driver side have normal wear. What is the most likely cause of the
> problem? Any ideas will be most welcome.

see these for some info
http://www.samscars.com/mage7.html
http://www.lindertech.com/reconinj.htm#minicsfi
Old February 6th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

"mrosner1" > writes in article outautos.com> dated Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:56:18 -0500:
>I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder (Vortec) "W"
>engine. It is running rich and gets only 6 miles per gallon. I found the
>3 sparkplugs on the passenger side fouled with carbon, while the 3 plugs on
>the driver side have normal wear. What is the most likely cause of the
>problem? Any ideas will be most welcome.

Just a guess:

Either the spark plug wires or the fuel injector lines are hooked up in the
wrong firing order.

And if I'm right, it's not really "running rich", so don't try to adjust the
mix. The unburned gas in the exhaust is from 3 non-working cylinders. When
you fix the firing-order problem, the richness will go away.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old February 9th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

"Spud Demon" > wrote in message
> "mrosner1" > writes in article
> outautos.com> dated Sun,
> 05 Feb 2006 16:56:18 -0500:
>>I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder (Vortec) "W"
>>engine. It is running rich and gets only 6 miles per gallon. I found the
>>3 sparkplugs on the passenger side fouled with carbon, while the 3 plugs
>>on
>>the driver side have normal wear. What is the most likely cause of the
>>problem? Any ideas will be most welcome.

> Just a guess:
>
> Either the spark plug wires or the fuel injector lines are hooked up in
> the
> wrong firing order.
>
> And if I'm right, it's not really "running rich", so don't try to adjust
> the
> mix. The unburned gas in the exhaust is from 3 non-working cylinders.
> When
> you fix the firing-order problem, the richness will go away.
>
> -- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
> The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

don`t ya think he would notice 3 dead cylinders
think it would run on 3

Old February 9th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

PCK wrote:
> "Spud Demon" > wrote in message
>> "mrosner1" > writes in article
>> outautos.com> dated Sun,
>> 05 Feb 2006 16:56:18 -0500:
>>> I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy, with the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder (Vortec) "W"
>>> engine. It is running rich and gets only 6 miles per gallon. I found the
>>> 3 sparkplugs on the passenger side fouled with carbon, while the 3 plugs
>>> on
>>> the driver side have normal wear. What is the most likely cause of the
>>> problem? Any ideas will be most welcome.

>> Just a guess:
>>
>> Either the spark plug wires or the fuel injector lines are hooked up in
>> the
>> wrong firing order.
>>
>> And if I'm right, it's not really "running rich", so don't try to adjust
>> the
>> mix. The unburned gas in the exhaust is from 3 non-working cylinders.
>> When
>> you fix the firing-order problem, the richness will go away.
>>
>> -- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
>> The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

> don`t ya think he would notice 3 dead cylinders
> think it would run on 3

Check engine temp sensor for ECM (it is separate from temp gage sensor)
because if it is bad it will cause engine to run over rich when warm.
(still check this though only half the engine is fouled)

--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
Old February 11th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Maybe, maybe not...

My Toyota Camry lost 2 of the 4 cylinders. It did run rough, but
surprisingly nowhere near as bad as you'd think it would. It still
idled and I still managed to get a ticket for doing 80mph in a 55mph
zone. And even then it got way better than 6mpg.

I could pull the plug wires off of cylinders 2 and 4 and there was no
difference.

~jp

Old February 11th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On 11 Feb 2006 05:59:22 -0800, "Jon R. Pickens" >
wrote:

>Maybe, maybe not...
>
>My Toyota Camry lost 2 of the 4 cylinders. It did run rough, but
>surprisingly nowhere near as bad as you'd think it would. It still
>idled and I still managed to get a ticket for doing 80mph in a 55mph
>zone. And even then it got way better than 6mpg.
>
>I could pull the plug wires off of cylinders 2 and 4 and there was no
>difference.
>
>~jp

You did take it out of 4x4 mode first, right?
Old February 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

LOL

That may have been the problem...damn transfer case...

~jp

Old February 11th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Jon R. Pickens wrote:
> Maybe, maybe not...
>
> My Toyota Camry lost 2 of the 4 cylinders. It did run rough, but
> surprisingly nowhere near as bad as you'd think it would. It still
> idled and I still managed to get a ticket for doing 80mph in a 55mph
> zone. And even then it got way better than 6mpg.
>
> I could pull the plug wires off of cylinders 2 and 4 and there was no
> difference.
>
> ~jp

mAybe at a idle but I promise you they were doing some work at speed
because it would not have made 80 on 2 cylinders. If you do not believe
me, remove two plug wires and drive it.

--

www.thesnoman.com