Scirocco 16V struts

Old December 3rd 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

Default Scirocco 16V struts

Are the struts, especially the front ones, the same for the 8V vs. the 16V
Scirocco, 1987?

I had some work done on the car a few years ago and the guy doing the work
cautioned that a lot of things in the 16V are not the same as the 8V because
of the weight and positioning of the 16V engine. It seems to me that the
weight would influence at least the front struts.

- Bill
_________________
I want to stand in the dark and see an audience feel the way I do.
- Juliet Aubrey as Karen Knowles, Still Crazy (1998)

Old December 11th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

I had an 88 16v Scirocco and 16v GTI and know the struts are different for the 8v versions. Make sure you get the right ones and their good quality. And remember as soon as the new ones are in your steering will feel different so you might want to drive it easy before driving it the way they like.

Fun fast cars

Old December 22nd 13, 07:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

There seems to be a bit of confusion about this.

Some are saying the struts, themselves, are different. Others are telling
me the struts are the same but the springs are different. So if you get
spring-less struts and put your old springs on them you're fine.

- Bill

Old January 22nd 14, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

The best thing I can tell you is to look at the strut inserts on both the 8v and 16v and you will see they are different size. I don't believe the insert from a 16v will fit in a 8v housing.

Old February 9th 14, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

> wrote in message
>
> The best thing I can tell you is to look at the strut inserts on both the
> 8v
> and 16v and you will see they are different size. I don't believe the
> insert
> from a 16v will fit in a 8v housing.

The guy doing the work also does restorations. He's found the struts,
without springs, for front and rear. The springs aren't a problem on the
front since the originals are intact. But one of the back springs is broken
a bit less than a quarter of a turn right at the bottom. We can't find rear
springs.

- Bill

OT - Struts Jerry Bransford[_2_] Jeep 0 September 21st 07 12:19 PM
OT - Struts Jerry Bransford[_2_] Jeep 0 September 21st 07 12:19 PM
OT - Struts Jerry Bransford[_2_] Jeep 0 September 21st 07 12:19 PM
struts for 98.5 A4 2.8Q KLS Audi 6 August 28th 06 01:45 PM
Help with Struts greenfoot VW water cooled 2 May 29th 05 05:51 PM