Trickle Charging a C7 battery

Old January 12th 14, 01:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

> On 1/11/2014 1:34 PM, Rufus wrote:
>> ...I can only wonder if that one is really any different from this one -
>>
>> <http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette-C6-GM-Battery-TenderCharger_p_5518.html>
>>

>> Which was actually going to be my first suggestion.
>>

> Wow! What a deal! With that sale price, I wonder how much better it
> would be than a Schauer or Black & Decker for about $80 to $90 less?
>
> Suppose it would be just the thing if you were going to show your car
> and wanted to put the battery maintainer on the roof so everyone knows
> you're "keeping it real."
>
> Would you buy windshield washer fluid in a jug with a C-7 logo on it
> for $12.00?

The re-branded CTEK charger is an excellent charger, and similar to the
one I am using. I can do without the C& logo and extra price premium. If
there is one thing a C7 does not need, it is any additional attempts to
grab attention with C7 logos. This C7 is a magnet for drawing anybody
and everybody's attention,

For whatever it is worth, BTW, the CTEK charging through the trunk
auxiliary port is working out great. Very nice way to keep it charged.
The only very minor problem is to be sure the trunk lid is down far
enough to prevent the interior trunk lamps from illuminating / drawing
power, while at the same time not applying a lot of crushing force on
the CTEK cable which is coming out of the trunk to the charger.

Old January 12th 14, 04:38 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Smarty wrote:
> On 1/11/2014 5:25 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
>> On 1/11/2014 1:34 PM, Rufus wrote:
>>> ...I can only wonder if that one is really any different from this one -
>>>
>>> <http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette-C6-GM-Battery-TenderCharger_p_5518.html>
>>>

>>> Which was actually going to be my first suggestion.
>>>

>> Wow! What a deal! With that sale price, I wonder how much better it
>> would be than a Schauer or Black & Decker for about $80 to $90 less?
>>
>> Suppose it would be just the thing if you were going to show your car
>> and wanted to put the battery maintainer on the roof so everyone knows
>> you're "keeping it real."
>>
>> Would you buy windshield washer fluid in a jug with a C-7 logo on it
>> for $12.00?

> The re-branded CTEK charger is an excellent charger, and similar to the
> one I am using. I can do without the C& logo and extra price premium. If
> there is one thing a C7 does not need, it is any additional attempts to
> grab attention with C7 logos. This C7 is a magnet for drawing anybody
> and everybody's attention,
>
> For whatever it is worth, BTW, the CTEK charging through the trunk
> auxiliary port is working out great. Very nice way to keep it charged.
> The only very minor problem is to be sure the trunk lid is down far
> enough to prevent the interior trunk lamps from illuminating / drawing
> power, while at the same time not applying a lot of crushing force on
> the CTEK cable which is coming out of the trunk to the charger.

....you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for
such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a
factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:

<http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Accessories-20929740-Battery/dp/B008FCCX9G>

All cheap at half the price...

I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to
given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's
battery. Other than the fob...

--
- Rufus
Old January 12th 14, 05:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

On 1/11/2014 9:38 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Smarty wrote:

[snip]

> ...you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for
> such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a
> factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Accessories-20929740-Battery/dp/B008FCCX9G>
>

> All cheap at half the price...

I'm glad that it's working out for Smarty and agree that if they are
going to put the charging port (actually, it's nothing more than an
"always on" power port inside the vehicle, there should be a way to
connect the damn thing so that you can lock up the car without having to
worry about crushing the power cord.

On my C5, obviously, the cord from the maintainer slips neatly beneath
the weather stripping at the cowl. I don't lock the hood since the car
is stored in a locked, alarmed garage but I could. I just lower it
gently assuring that the underhood light doesn't illuminate

> I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to
> given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's
> battery. Other than the fob...

Unless you lay the car up for months at a time (or weeks, in frigid
weather like we've had in the Midwest) you probably won't need it if
stored for less than 10-14 days at a time.

Still, there are enough Corvette fanatics who park their Vette's in
Mid-October never to move them again until April or...

I don't care who they are or where they are, if they leave the battery
in the car it will be DOA when they attempt to start it. Not to mention
the fact that they'll have that puzzled look on their face when they
start to notice seals leaking on the car.

Mine stays on the maintainer over the winter and gets a 10-15 mile run
about every month even over the winter. I just pick a clear, dry day
and go for it.

Lastly, I guarantee you that the Black & Decker and Schauer battery
maintainers I use on my car and lawn tractor are just as fine as
anything bearing the Corvette logo.

Old January 12th 14, 07:09 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
> On 1/11/2014 9:38 PM, Rufus wrote:
>> Smarty wrote:

> [snip]
>>
>> ...you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for
>> such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a
>> factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Accessories-20929740-Battery/dp/B008FCCX9G>
>>

>> All cheap at half the price...

> I'm glad that it's working out for Smarty and agree that if they are
> going to put the charging port (actually, it's nothing more than an
> "always on" power port inside the vehicle, there should be a way to
> connect the damn thing so that you can lock up the car without having to
> worry about crushing the power cord.
>
> On my C5, obviously, the cord from the maintainer slips neatly beneath
> the weather stripping at the cowl. I don't lock the hood since the car
> is stored in a locked, alarmed garage but I could. I just lower it
> gently assuring that the underhood light doesn't illuminate

It would make even more sense to put it beside or behind the rear
license plate - given that they took the time to stick it under the C7's
hatch...jus' sayin'...

>> I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to
>> given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's
>> battery. Other than the fob...

> Unless you lay the car up for months at a time (or weeks, in frigid
> weather like we've had in the Midwest) you probably won't need it if
> stored for less than 10-14 days at a time.

True...grew up there, that's why I live in SoCal now. So I probably
drive my Z06 at least once every couple weeks. Mostly off the hi-dez
into LA and back. Or to Vegas...

> Still, there are enough Corvette fanatics who park their Vette's in
> Mid-October never to move them again until April or...

....but my '87 OTOH moves about once per quarter, max. I think I end up
charging it about twice a year on average.

> I don't care who they are or where they are, if they leave the battery
> in the car it will be DOA when they attempt to start it. Not to mention
> the fact that they'll have that puzzled look on their face when they
> start to notice seals leaking on the car.

In the desert it's generally heat that does a battery in - they tend to
last about three years on average, car/motorcycle/etc. in use or not.
We generally swap them out at the fist sign of balking -

> Mine stays on the maintainer over the winter and gets a 10-15 mile run
> about every month even over the winter. I just pick a clear, dry day
> and go for it.

I should do that more with my '87, but it pretty much just takes up
space these days...planning on trading it away soon anyway.

> Lastly, I guarantee you that the Black & Decker and Schauer battery
> maintainers I use on my car and lawn tractor are just as fine as
> anything bearing the Corvette logo.

Anything that gets the job done...no need to gold-plate it.

--
- Rufus
Old May 13th 14, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Old July 2nd 14, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
RayDec

replying to Smarty , RayDec wrote:
> nobody wrote:
>
> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has been
> disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to the battery.
> The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in the trunk, and
> not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge.
> My question:
> Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or another
> auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or do I have to
> get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then connect directly
> across the battery as I have previously done for the last 15 years on my
> C5 and C6?
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

My C7 came with the Battery Protection Package which included a GM Trickle
Charger (PART # 22969090). In the trunk area where the battery is located,
there's a cigarette lighter port which the charger connects to. No need
to get to the actual battery. Just plug into the lighter port and an
electrical outlet at the other end. I haven't used it yet but I assume
you have to leave the trunk lid opened. Hope this helps.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/toyota_camry/--.htm

Old July 3rd 14, 04:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

On 7/2/2014 12:18 PM, RayDec wrote:
> replying to Smarty , RayDec wrote:
>> nobody wrote:
>>
>> Having owned C5 and C6 convertibles which have been stored for the
>> winter, I have become accustomed to using a trickle charger directly
>> connected to the battery for many years. The rest of the car has
>> been disconnected and only the trickle charger has been connected to
>> the battery. The new C7 battery is no longer under the hood. It is in
>> the trunk, and not as easily to disconnect and trickle charge. My
>> question: Can I trickle charge via the cigarette lighter socket or
>> another auxiliary power 12 V socket which the car also provides? Or
>> do I have to get into the trunk, remove the trunk lining, and then
>> connect directly across the battery as I have previously done for the
>> last 15 years on my C5 and C6? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

> My C7 came with the Battery Protection Package which included a GM
> Trickle
> Charger (PART # 22969090). In the trunk area where the battery is
> located,
> there's a cigarette lighter port which the charger connects to.
> No need
> to get to the actual battery. Just plug into the lighter port and an
> electrical outlet at the other end. I haven't used it yet but I
> assume
> you have to leave the trunk lid opened. Hope this helps.

Thanks Ray. Yes, as my reply from 1/11/14 in this thread did reflect:

"For whatever it is worth, BTW, the CTEK charging through the trunk
auxiliary port is working out great. Very nice way to keep it charged.
The only very minor problem is to be sure the trunk lid is down far
enough to prevent the interior trunk lamps from illuminating / drawing
power, while at the same time not applying a lot of crushing force on
the CTEK cable which is coming out of the trunk to the charger. "

I hope you are enjoying your C7 as much as I am enjoying mine. GM hit a
real home run with this one!

Charging a battery Dennis[_2_] Technology 14 August 27th 07 08:33 PM
Trickle Charging? Frank M. Corvette 22 October 30th 06 09:54 PM
To trickle or Not Trickle! please help a battery noobie with a 12v Gel battery question rutman Technology 29 May 5th 05 10:38 PM
Battery Charging tech27 BMW 65 December 1st 04 03:08 AM
Is an Onboard Trickle Charger useful for a Car Battery.. Denny B General 0 February 7th 04 06:28 AM