TFrog, RIP

Old January 22nd 13, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default TFrog, RIP

" wrote in message

>On Sunday, January 13, 2013 9:13:35 AM UTC-6, dwight wrote:

>snip<
>
> > On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford
> > dealership
> > and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating
> > on
> > the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money.

> Can't say I blame you. At some point either you go into full restoration
> mode or
> you cut your losses. Your decision was easy -- you need to use the car on
> a daily
> basis, so you cut your losses and bought new.

I wouldn't say easy, but, yeah, easier.

> > For Patrick - I wanted a black Focus, base model, no options. The
> > dealership
> > actually had two, but both had one option - Ford SYNC. I took one,
> > anyway.
> > Immediately, I had to modify - the car came with 15" wheels and plastic
> > wheel covers; I ordered a set of actual wheels to replace them (even
> > though
> > it's a lease, I couldn't live with plastic wheel covers). The car has no
> > cruise control (an option), and although it has power windows up front,
> > it
> > has window cranks in the back.

> I would have done the same with the wheels, and needless to say the [lack
> of] options.

I was also thinking about shelling out another $30 for the smoker's package,
but decided not to. The interior is solid black black black, and the car is
NOT smoker-friendly. The wind comes blasting in sideways through the driver
window, and there's no way to not get ash all over the place. I don't mind
vacuuming out the interior, but not every other day. )

> > My only complaint, really, is that the dashboard has two display
> > screens - one showing MPG and trip meters, the other for the SYNC
> > system,
> > and I find no way to turn either one off.

> SYNC, from what I've read, is out of sync. As for the Focus, it's a sharp
> car.
> I like it! I want to test drive an ST version, perhaps with my son when
> he visits again.

No problems with SYNC. Handles my phone and iPod just fine. Voice commands
remind me a lot of Siri. No, it doesn't understand every command, but not
for lack of trying! Little things - like calling my daughter (listed as
"Emmy" in my phonebook) sometimes results in a call to my niece Ileen. I
actually have to pronounce it as "ee-mill-ee" to get it right. Otherwise, no
problems.

Every review of the ST has been super-positive. The almost always compare it
to the VW GTi, another car that I have no experience with. I'm really
pleased with the suspension and handling on this base model sedan, and I
can't imagine how much better it is on that tweaked out hatchback, but all
reviewers are mightily impressed.

> > I can see why the Focus is now the best-selling car in the U.S., and a
> > leader globally. It is a well-built, fun to drive automobile. And, while
> > I've driven many cars since, this is the first new car built since 1993
> > that
> > is mine, all mine. Two months in, and I'm still getting used to that.
> > It's
> > still weird when I open the garage door and see a Focus sitting there.

> I found it odd too to be out of the Fox world. But, life goes on.

Hah! You know me, but you don't know me. This is a fundamental,
earth-shattering change for me. Life goes on, sure, but life today is
nothing like what it was yesterday. The last time my life was shaken by so
monumental a change was when my kids were born. And maybe the day Jean
brought a dog home...

> > I have to point out that my wife, having had three successive leased
> > Escapes, traded in her 2010 Escape for a 2013 Focus SE (with all the
> > trimmings) at the end of October. Playing with her SE helped make my
> > decision easier. The only change I would make today is in the wheels -
> > where
> > she has the 17" wheel/tire combo, my base model sedan has 15" (my John
> > Deere
> > has bigger tires) wheels with general "touring" tires. I don't want to
> > spring for a new wheel/tire combo on a leased car, but I'm trying to
> > burn up
> > those tires, so I can order a somewhat better performance set.

> Or, one day when she's not paying attention, swap her wheels and tires
> onto yours. <grin>

And you KNOW she wouldn't notice. Nah, I'll wait. Shouldn't be long now -
already 3,000+ on those puppies.

> > * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a
> > Focus.
> > Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with it, then I'd
> > want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my history. But I'm
> > looking
> > ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation! I'm hoping that Ford really
> > does
> > put out an all-new Mustang, dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang
> > that
> > looks forward, not back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really
> > going
> > to want to get back into a Mustang at that point.

> Not a bad plan.
>
> You know I'm locked into the S197 for the next couple decades, it'll be
> nice if you
> pick up a new one -- you can give us/me a full report.

Hoping to. All I've seen so far are "artists' renderings" and doctored
photos of that EVOS thing. Ford's keeping a tight lid on the redesign. Even
so, after three years with this FWD 2.0-liter fuel sipper, I'm going to be
in real need of speed. Or maybe not. I'll be an even older fart then, so
maybe an EcoBoost six would be just fine. We'll see.

dwight

Old January 22nd 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"WindsorFox" wrote in message ...

On 1/13/2013 9:13 AM, dwight wrote:
> > I'm in a whole new world. The torque steer of the FWD at launch threw
> > me, at first, but I'm getting used to it. Instead of the raw power and
> > push of the RWD V8, this Focus drives very "European," very tight and
> > assured. The 5-speed manual is... uh... "cute," a short-throw and
> > precise shifter, and a clutch pedal that takes almost no effort (my left
> > leg may atrophy). The car red-lines at 7K. First gear doesn't have much
> > punch, but second gear makes up for it when the revs top 4K. Unlike the
> > 5.0 (1700RPM at 70mph in 5th gear), the Focus really doesn't like to go
> > much over 65mph, although I've had it at 90mph many times (and watched
> > the mpg drop). It could use a 6th gear. My only complaint, really, is
> > that the dashboard has two display screens - one showing MPG and trip
> > meters, the other for the SYNC system, and I find no way to turn either
> > one off.

> Ooo, I didn't realize when you got that you had traded both Mustangs.
> Eeek. Torque steer, you havn't lived until you've tried to keep a
> 426CID Eldorado with loose joints in between the lines while nailing it
> from a sitting position. Heh. I'll also note the tire thing may come
> around sooner than you think. I've had FWD cars before and with combining
> the turning and power on the same set of tires it tends to make those two
> wear quicker. More so driving like you do...

Hey, I resent that! I've only hit redline once (okay, twice) that I know of.

And the first time I floored this thing, I almost took out a VW in the right
lane. That right there helped me get a handle on torque steer right away.

I've driven many fine examples of Detroit's best efforts of the early 1970s
to mid 1980s, some of which had serious problems staying between the lines
under mild conditions. It's a wonder that more of my generation made it
through those days than probably should have. Looking back, there were a lot
of rolling death traps those days.

Some people hate seat belts, hate air bags, heck, probably even hate crumple
zones. I love 'em. Give me more stuff like that! (The Focus has side air
bags. Really.)

If these tires wear out soon (say, halfway through the lease), then I'm
going to order a 17" wheel/tire package. If they last into the third year, I
may just replace the 15" tires.

But, you're right - I do push the thing a bit. There's an exit ramp on the
way to work, a 270degree turn off of one highway onto another. That's my
tread depth gauge. If ever the front end starts to slide out at speed, I'll
know it's time to rotate the tires.

dwight

Old January 22nd 13, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:48:30 AM UTC, dwight wrote:
<SNIP>

> Hoping to. All I've seen so far are "artists' renderings" and doctored
>
> photos of that EVOS thing. Ford's keeping a tight lid on the redesign. Even
>
> so, after three years with this FWD 2.0-liter fuel sipper, I'm going to be
>
> in real need of speed. Or maybe not. I'll be an even older fart then, so
>
> maybe an EcoBoost six would be just fine. We'll see.
>

> dwight

Here is a little video of this old fart in his 2 day old ST... 100% stock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOrJS70y1M

Since then i've added an MRT exhaust and a Cobb 93 octane tune... WOOHOO!!!

The ST only comes with summer tires, so with the cold I can really only get on the throttle in the upper gears... 1st and 2nd just spin.... LOL! So here is a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls.. this is with the 93 octane tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIx0DndLmU0

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a FOCUS!!! LOL!
Old January 23rd 13, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Monday, January 21, 2013 8:48:30 PM UTC-6, dwight wrote:
> " wrote in message

> > > On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford

> > > dealership

> > > and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating

> > > on

> > > the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money..

> > Can't say I blame you. At some point either you go into full restoration

> > mode or

> > you cut your losses. Your decision was easy -- you need to use the car on

> > a daily

> > basis, so you cut your losses and bought new.

> I wouldn't say easy, but, yeah, easier.

For me, making the actual decision to sell is easy because I've already spent the time mulling it over, so it's more like just pulling the trigger. Even the mulling it over part is easy-ish, because in a way you've already made your decision or you wouldn't be mulling it over, or considering it. It's the you've already pulled the trigger part that's tough to deal with -- the transaction part of the sale has been negotiated and you're down to the last days/hours/minutes of ownership. You take that last drive, think about all the time you've spent together, all the memories you had, and a part of you wants to go stop the bullet you just fired when you pulled the trigger. Those fleeting moments is the toughest part. My '76 step-side and my LX tore me up, even my Cobra, a car I never felt I truly bonded with, wasn't easy. But once it's done, I always know it was for the best or I wouldn't have done it.

> > > For Patrick - I wanted a black Focus, base model, no options. The

> > > dealership

> > > actually had two, but both had one option - Ford SYNC. I took one,

> > > anyway.

> > > Immediately, I had to modify - the car came with 15" wheels and plastic

> > > wheel covers; I ordered a set of actual wheels to replace them (even

> > > though

> > > it's a lease, I couldn't live with plastic wheel covers). The car has no

> > > cruise control (an option), and although it has power windows up front,

> > > it

> > > has window cranks in the back.

> > I would have done the same with the wheels, and needless to say the [lack

> > of] options.

> I was also thinking about shelling out another $30 for the smoker's package,
>
> but decided not to. The interior is solid black black black, and the car is
>
> NOT smoker-friendly. The wind comes blasting in sideways through the driver
>
> window, and there's no way to not get ash all over the place. I don't mind
>
> vacuuming out the interior, but not every other day. )

All black, love it!

> > > My only complaint, really, is that the dashboard has two display

> > > screens - one showing MPG and trip meters, the other for the SYNC

> > > system,

> > > and I find no way to turn either one off.

> > SYNC, from what I've read, is out of sync. As for the Focus, it's a sharp

> > car.

> > I like it! I want to test drive an ST version, perhaps with my son when

> > he visits again.

> No problems with SYNC. Handles my phone and iPod just fine. Voice commands
>
> remind me a lot of Siri. No, it doesn't understand every command, but not
>
> for lack of trying! Little things - like calling my daughter (listed as
>
> "Emmy" in my phonebook) sometimes results in a call to my niece Ileen. I
>
> actually have to pronounce it as "ee-mill-ee" to get it right. Otherwise, no
>
> problems.

I've have heard too that Ford has made improvements to it, so it seems you've been the recipient of those improvements.

> Every review of the ST has been super-positive. The almost always compare it
>
> to the VW GTi, another car that I have no experience with. I'm really
>
> pleased with the suspension and handling on this base model sedan, and I
>
> can't imagine how much better it is on that tweaked out hatchback, but all
>
> reviewers are mightily impressed.

I've always liked the Focus -- the reason my daughter owns one. Not sure if you know/remember for her [1st-gen] we installed the SVT suspension kit. It was cheap, and it worked! I wonder if they'll offer a similar kit for your generation.

> > > I can see why the Focus is now the best-selling car in the U.S., and a

> > > leader globally. It is a well-built, fun to drive automobile. And, while

> > > I've driven many cars since, this is the first new car built since 1993

> > > that

> > > is mine, all mine. Two months in, and I'm still getting used to that.

> > > It's

> > > still weird when I open the garage door and see a Focus sitting there..

> > I found it odd too to be out of the Fox world. But, life goes on.

> Hah! You know me, but you don't know me. This is a fundamental,
>
> earth-shattering change for me. Life goes on, sure, but life today is
>
> nothing like what it was yesterday. The last time my life was shaken by so
>
> monumental a change was when my kids were born. And maybe the day Jean
>
> brought a dog home...

You brought up a dog. I'll say this, I hope it doesn't come across as harsh, but I've found cars are like dogs. When you have a good one and you lose it, there isn't a better way to get over it than to get a new puppy. At some point you'll find your new puppy, and when you do life will be complete again. .

> > > I have to point out that my wife, having had three successive leased

> > > Escapes, traded in her 2010 Escape for a 2013 Focus SE (with all the

> > > trimmings) at the end of October. Playing with her SE helped make my

> > > decision easier. The only change I would make today is in the wheels -

> > > where

> > > she has the 17" wheel/tire combo, my base model sedan has 15" (my John

> > > Deere

> > > has bigger tires) wheels with general "touring" tires. I don't want to

> > > spring for a new wheel/tire combo on a leased car, but I'm trying to

> > > burn up

> > > those tires, so I can order a somewhat better performance set.

> > Or, one day when she's not paying attention, swap her wheels and tires

> > onto yours. <grin>

> And you KNOW she wouldn't notice. Nah, I'll wait. Shouldn't be long now -
>
> already 3,000+ on those puppies.

Still be cool to try them though, right?

The upside to 15s, low[er] replacement costs = more fun.

> > > * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a

> > > Focus.

> > > Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with it, then I'd

> > > want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my history. But I'm

> > > looking

> > > ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation! I'm hoping that Ford really

> > > does

> > > put out an all-new Mustang, dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang

> > > that

> > > looks forward, not back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really

> > > going

> > > to want to get back into a Mustang at that point.

> > Not a bad plan.

> > You know I'm locked into the S197 for the next couple decades, it'll be

> > nice if you

> > pick up a new one -- you can give us/me a full report.

> Hoping to. All I've seen so far are "artists' renderings" and doctored
>
> photos of that EVOS thing. Ford's keeping a tight lid on the redesign. Even
>
> so, after three years with this FWD 2.0-liter fuel sipper, I'm going to be
>
> in real need of speed. Or maybe not. I'll be an even older fart then, so
>
> maybe an EcoBoost six would be just fine. We'll see.

I too can't wait to see the 2015. I love my '11, but like you I think it's time for all-new. Retro has played out as far as it can be played.

I hoping you're in a new Mustang in a couple/few years.

Side note: What do you think of the all-new Vette? (Me... I love it!) While the C6 was a marked improvement over the C5, Chevy really needed to make a more drastic change, and i think they've done well with the C7. I'm anxious to see a new one on the road.

Patrick

Old January 24th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_6_]

"John S." wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:48:30 AM UTC, dwight wrote:
<SNIP>

> Hoping to. All I've seen so far are "artists' renderings" and doctored
>
> photos of that EVOS thing. Ford's keeping a tight lid on the redesign.
> Even
>
> so, after three years with this FWD 2.0-liter fuel sipper, I'm going to be
>
> in real need of speed. Or maybe not. I'll be an even older fart then, so
>
> maybe an EcoBoost six would be just fine. We'll see.
>

> dwight

Here is a little video of this old fart in his 2 day old ST... 100% stock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOrJS70y1M

Since then i've added an MRT exhaust and a Cobb 93 octane tune... WOOHOO!!!

The ST only comes with summer tires, so with the cold I can really only get
on the throttle in the upper gears... 1st and 2nd just spin.... LOL! So
here is a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls.. this is with the 93 octane
tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIx0DndLmU0

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a FOCUS!!! LOL!

- - - - -

I like the way you bounced off the rev limiter. It's weird - your interior
looks almost exactly like mine, but mine sure doesn't SOUND like that. Where
the hell did you have the mike?

AND, by the way, I didn't "get on" the car until it had passed 1,000 miles.
Now, hah, it's kinda fun to make this little fuel-sipping economy car fly.
Not an ST, for sure, but it'll get up and go when pushed.

)

Old January 24th 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_6_]

" wrote in message

On Monday, January 21, 2013 8:48:30 PM UTC-6, dwight wrote:
> " wrote in message
>
> I too can't wait to see the 2015. I love my '11, but like you I think
> it's time
> for all-new. Retro has played out as far as it can be played.
>
> I hoping you're in a new Mustang in a couple/few years.
>
> Side note: What do you think of the all-new Vette? (Me... I love it!)
> While the C6 was a marked improvement over the C5, Chevy really
> needed to make a more drastic change, and i think they've done well
> with the C7. I'm anxious to see a new one on the road.
>
> Patrick

From what little I've seen, it's hard not to love the new Vette. I've seen
the diehards express disappointment (what?!?), as if the rather non-dramatic
changes are overly dramatic. But it's a damn good-looking new generation.
I'll take one in black.

And, of COURSE my new no-option Focus is all black. Except that it's not an
ebony black paint, but a "Tuxedo Black" - think black sprinkled generously
with tiny glitter. It's strange, but I kinda sorta somewhat like it. I
absolutely love the black interior. I don't have that choose-your-color
ambient lighting (like SOME Focus owners in my family), but I think some
green lighting would really ...uh... shine.

But that would be an option.

dwight

Old January 24th 13, 12:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:17:14 AM UTC, dwight wrote:
> "John S." wrote in message

> On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:48:30 AM UTC, dwight wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>

> > Hoping to. All I've seen so far are "artists' renderings" and doctored

> > photos of that EVOS thing. Ford's keeping a tight lid on the redesign.

> > Even

> > so, after three years with this FWD 2.0-liter fuel sipper, I'm going to be

> > in real need of speed. Or maybe not. I'll be an even older fart then, so

> > maybe an EcoBoost six would be just fine. We'll see.

> > dwight

> Here is a little video of this old fart in his 2 day old ST... 100% stock....
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOrJS70y1M
>

> Since then i've added an MRT exhaust and a Cobb 93 octane tune... WOOHOO!!!
>

> The ST only comes with summer tires, so with the cold I can really only get
>
> on the throttle in the upper gears... 1st and 2nd just spin.... LOL! So
>
> here is a couple of 3rd and 4th gear pulls.. this is with the 93 octane
>
> tune...
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIx0DndLmU0
>

> I have to keep reminding myself that this is a FOCUS!!! LOL!
>

> - - - - -
>

> I like the way you bounced off the rev limiter. It's weird - your interior
>
> looks almost exactly like mine, but mine sure doesn't SOUND like that. Where
>
> the hell did you have the mike?
>

> AND, by the way, I didn't "get on" the car until it had passed 1,000 miles.
>
> Now, hah, it's kinda fun to make this little fuel-sipping economy car fly..
>
> Not an ST, for sure, but it'll get up and go when pushed.
>

> )

The ST comes with the Sound Symposer! LOL! Ford pipes the intake/engine sound into the cabin. There are a set of valves that control and amplify certain frequency's... Some people call it fake and hate it... personally I really like it and the MRT exhaust really seems to compliment it. Still can't believe the audible enjoyment I'm getting from this 4 cylinder!

More on the Sound Symposer:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=36499

The ST also features an "Over-Rev" feature.. The ST will allow you to go past the red line a couple of hundred RPM for 3 seconds and then the ECU will enforce the lower rev-limit..

Tuxedo Black... WOW!!! Talk about the most colorful metallic factory paint I've ever seen! I bout an F-250 two years ago that is Tuxedo Black. First time I seen it was in the shop getting prepped... I thought ok, it's a nice black... BUT then they pulled it out into the sunshine! OMG! Could not believe all the colors! Was very surprised!

Old January 26th 13, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_6_]

"John S." wrote in message

> The ST comes with the Sound Symposer! LOL! Ford pipes the intake/engine
> sound into the cabin. There are a set of valves that control and amplify
> certain
> frequency's... Some people call it fake and hate it... personally I
> really like it and
> the MRT exhaust really seems to compliment it. Still can't believe the
> audible
> enjoyment I'm getting from this 4 cylinder!
>
> More on the Sound Symposer:
> http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=36499

I thought Ford did the same thing with the current 5.0 Mustang, because the
interior is "too quiet." Engine sounds are piped in through the firewall, or
some such... After 19 years with my old 5.0, I'm enjoying the quiet of the
Focus cabin, although I get plenty of the good sound when the revs are up.

> The ST also features an "Over-Rev" feature.. The ST will allow you to go
> past the
> red line a couple of hundred RPM for 3 seconds and then the ECU will
> enforce the
> lower rev-limit..

Yeah, "bouncing off the redline" was probably not the best way to put that.
On my first launch, I managed to go well into the red, and the result was a
feeling that the car was stalling/bucking a bit. Significant power dropoff
before I took the hint and shifted. Seemed to me that my fuel mileage
suffered for the remainder of that tankful, but that may have been my
imagination.

> Tuxedo Black... WOW!!! Talk about the most colorful metallic factory paint
> I've
> ever seen! I bout an F-250 two years ago that is Tuxedo Black. First time
> I seen
> it was in the shop getting prepped... I thought ok, it's a nice black...
> BUT then they
> pulled it out into the sunshine! OMG! Could not believe all the colors!
> Was very surprised!

It's different, I'll say that. Almost gives a third dimension to the paint.
Looks really sharp when the car is clean, but black when the sun goes down.
A glitter car... Shades of Rainbow Brite and My Little Pony.

dwight

Old March 4th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank S

"John C." > wrote in message
> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang
>>world. For one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a
>>Mustang.
>>

> I never thought I'd see the day. TFrog was an extension of
> yourself, it seemed. Life goes on...
>

>> After two months, this new Focus has given me a lifetime average of
>> 30mpg. And, even though I have a clean driving record, I had been
>> paying a V8 penalty in auto insurance for the Mustangs. With the
>> savings at the pump and the savings on insurance, the Focus amounts
>> to a "free car." Also, it's a three-year lease*, which means no
>> repair bills, no tow trucks, and I probably don't have to worry about
>> tires or brakes (until possibly the third year).

> Can't beat a "free" car.
> 30 mpg isn't too shabby, but those new 5.0's get 25. (if ya keep your
> foot out of it)

I hear tell that's true. After six months in a 2013 5.0 M6 Brembo 3.73,
16 is more realistic. We did one 200-mile trip to
Idyllwild-on-the-mountain the first day we had it, and saw the edges of
24 for a while. It wants to go 110 MPH every time I get in it, and
Saturday at the autocross practice the 15.4 declined only to 14.9 after
seven 80-second runs. "If ya keep your foot out of it" is for
super-humans; I try, and try, and try, but can't.

--
Frank ess
San Diego CA

RIP Roemax Driving 2 June 17th 10 03:54 PM
RIP [email protected] Saturn 6 October 25th 09 07:57 PM
Rip-off? Harry K Driving 17 October 13th 09 03:55 PM
Hey TFROG and anybody else have this problem ? Suggib Ford Mustang 0 September 1st 09 10:18 PM