TFrog, RIP

Old January 13th 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default TFrog, RIP

A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world. For
one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.

Both of my '93 5.0s have been in maintenance mode for the last 10 years or
so. I really didn't want to sink a lot of money into either one, but tried
to keep them in decent enough running condition to meet my requirements.
Lately, the frequency of calls for tow trucks has accelerated (I have two
different tow truck operators on speed dial), as old parts continued to
fail. In fact, I was having replacement parts replaced.

CFrog, the GT convertible, went into the shop for another fuel pump
replacement. Meanwhile, the right side tailpipe fell off of TFrog, the LX
hatch. When I was crawling underneath to try and wedge the tailpipe into a
drivable position, I saw cancer - a good bit of rust in spots I never
normally look at. For the first time, both Mustangs were in the shop at the
same time.

There had been days when I asked myself why I was hanging onto these cars.
Normally, as soon as I got one back from the shop, I knew full well why I
kept them. Especially TFrog, with its 5-speed manual, the car that never
failed to make me grin. But the long, slow decline made me go in a
completely different direction.

On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford dealership
and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating on
the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money.

There were three overriding factors in killing off the Mustangs:
1. Winter was coming, and any snow usually meant that the Mustangs stayed
home.
2. Gas was $3.75/gallon. When it was $2.00 or maybe even $3.00, my 17mpg
wasn't a problem.
3. Money was needed for both Mustangs, probably more than the book value of
either. I could no longer justify the expense.

After two months, this new Focus has given me a lifetime average of 30mpg.
And, even though I have a clean driving record, I had been paying a V8
penalty in auto insurance for the Mustangs. With the savings at the pump and
the savings on insurance, the Focus amounts to a "free car." Also, it's a
three-year lease*, which means no repair bills, no tow trucks, and I
probably don't have to worry about tires or brakes (until possibly the third
year).

For Patrick - I wanted a black Focus, base model, no options. The dealership
actually had two, but both had one option - Ford SYNC. I took one, anyway.
Immediately, I had to modify - the car came with 15" wheels and plastic
wheel covers; I ordered a set of actual wheels to replace them (even though
it's a lease, I couldn't live with plastic wheel covers). The car has no
cruise control (an option), and although it has power windows up front, it
has window cranks in the back.

I'm in a whole new world. The torque steer of the FWD at launch threw me, at
first, but I'm getting used to it. Instead of the raw power and push of the
RWD V8, this Focus drives very "European," very tight and assured. The
5-speed manual is... uh... "cute," a short-throw and precise shifter, and a
clutch pedal that takes almost no effort (my left leg may atrophy). The car
red-lines at 7K. First gear doesn't have much punch, but second gear makes
up for it when the revs top 4K. Unlike the 5.0 (1700RPM at 70mph in 5th
gear), the Focus really doesn't like to go much over 65mph, although I've
had it at 90mph many times (and watched the mpg drop). It could use a 6th
gear. My only complaint, really, is that the dashboard has two display
screens - one showing MPG and trip meters, the other for the SYNC system,
and I find no way to turn either one off.

I can see why the Focus is now the best-selling car in the U.S., and a
leader globally. It is a well-built, fun to drive automobile. And, while
I've driven many cars since, this is the first new car built since 1993 that
is mine, all mine. Two months in, and I'm still getting used to that. It's
still weird when I open the garage door and see a Focus sitting there.

I have to point out that my wife, having had three successive leased
Escapes, traded in her 2010 Escape for a 2013 Focus SE (with all the
trimmings) at the end of October. Playing with her SE helped make my
decision easier. The only change I would make today is in the wheels - where
she has the 17" wheel/tire combo, my base model sedan has 15" (my John Deere
has bigger tires) wheels with general "touring" tires. I don't want to
spring for a new wheel/tire combo on a leased car, but I'm trying to burn up
those tires, so I can order a somewhat better performance set.

Absolutely, there are many times that I really miss my 5.0s. In this case, I
think I made the right decision. I'm taking three years off with some
carefree driving. When I leave work and walk to my car, I no longer have to
wonder whether it will start. I haven't yet deleted those tow truck numbers
from my cellphone, but I sincerely doubt that I'll ever need them.

* Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a Focus.
Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with it, then I'd
want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my history. But I'm looking
ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation! I'm hoping that Ford really does
put out an all-new Mustang, dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang that
looks forward, not back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really going
to want to get back into a Mustang at that point.

dwight
www.tfrog.com/tfrog - the next generation

Old January 13th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:13:35 -0500, "dwight" >
wrote:

>A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world. For
>one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.

I can understand your pain at losing the Fox bodies. I had a terrific
88 5-speed LX 5.0 Notch till it got totaled. I had planned on keeping
it forever (a possibility here in AZ). On an open road it was such a
blast to drive.
Old January 15th 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
RichA

On Jan 13, 10:13*am, "dwight" > wrote:

> Absolutely, there are many times that I really miss my 5.0s. In this case, I
> think I made the right decision. I'm taking three years off with some
> carefree driving. When I leave work and walk to my car, I no longer have to
> wonder whether it will start. I haven't yet deleted those tow truck numbers
> from my cellphone, but I sincerely doubt that I'll ever need them.
>
> * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a Focus.

The V6 offers little increased mileage over the 400hp V8. No point.
Better idea, drive a V8 on weekends, a 4-cyl on weekdays/work. You'll
use less gas that some soccer mom in her SUV.
Old January 15th 13, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
fasnsto

"dwight" > wrote in message
>A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang world.
>For one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a Mustang.
>
> Both of my '93 5.0s have been in maintenance mode for the last 10 years or
> so. I really didn't want to sink a lot of money into either one, but tried
> to keep them in decent enough running condition to meet my requirements.
> Lately, the frequency of calls for tow trucks has accelerated (I have two
> different tow truck operators on speed dial), as old parts continued to
> fail. In fact, I was having replacement parts replaced.
>
> CFrog, the GT convertible, went into the shop for another fuel pump
> replacement. Meanwhile, the right side tailpipe fell off of TFrog, the LX
> hatch. When I was crawling underneath to try and wedge the tailpipe into a
> drivable position, I saw cancer - a good bit of rust in spots I never
> normally look at. For the first time, both Mustangs were in the shop at
> the same time.
>
> There had been days when I asked myself why I was hanging onto these cars.
> Normally, as soon as I got one back from the shop, I knew full well why I
> kept them. Especially TFrog, with its 5-speed manual, the car that never
> failed to make me grin. But the long, slow decline made me go in a
> completely different direction.
>
> On November 10, 2012, I dumped BOTH Mustangs at the local Ford dealership
> and picked up a 2013 Focus S sedan. Some would say that I took a beating
> on the trade-ins, I would say that I instantly saved a boatload of money.
>
> There were three overriding factors in killing off the Mustangs:
> 1. Winter was coming, and any snow usually meant that the Mustangs stayed
> home.
> 2. Gas was $3.75/gallon. When it was $2.00 or maybe even $3.00, my 17mpg
> wasn't a problem.
> 3. Money was needed for both Mustangs, probably more than the book value
> of either. I could no longer justify the expense.

Sorry to hear them go. I know the feeling, it is strange how one gets split
on keep or sell, keep cause it is so much fun, sell because you have to fix
it again. I had a 93 supercharged #8 Keene Bell, that I let go, every
squeek or bump made me cringe that I had to fix the car again. I must have
had about $20k total into it, car was $6,700 at a police auction in '95,
supercharger was $1,700 from a wrecked stang, but add in rebuilt engine
($3,500) about 10 years later, heater core (twice) breaks, tires, AC,
rebuilt supercharger, and on, must have had $20 into it, had a small fire
once, the altinator connector started burning on the freeway. Lots of fun,
but... I sold it, too cheap, but had it for 16(?) years, always had cheap
blue paint that would come off. anyhow 400 HP in the newer stangs beats the
93 with 330 hp (supercharged)
Just need to save the money up. Wish I kept the 93, na, glad I sold it, no,
I should have kept it, it was really fast no, .....
Thanks for Tfrog and Cfrog......

Old January 15th 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:13:35 PM UTC, dwight wrote:
> [...]
>

> Absolutely, there are many times that I really miss my 5.0s. In this case, I
>
> think I made the right decision. I'm taking three years off with some
>
> carefree driving. When I leave work and walk to my car, I no longer have to
>
> wonder whether it will start. I haven't yet deleted those tow truck numbers
>
> from my cellphone, but I sincerely doubt that I'll ever need them.
>

> * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not a Focus.
>
> Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with it, then I'd
>
> want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my history. But I'm looking
>
> ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation! I'm hoping that Ford really does
>
> put out an all-new Mustang, dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang that
>
> looks forward, not back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really going
>
> to want to get back into a Mustang at that point.

Sorry to hear about the Mustangs... completely understandable though! As for the Focus... did you look at the ST? I picked one up in October... OMG! This thing is a blast! While not as fast as our Flex is on the straight aways, the ST is great in the corners!

Glad you are digging your new Focus though... they are a lot cooler than when they were first introduced so many years ago... LOL
Old January 16th 13, 02:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"John S." wrote in message

> Sorry to hear about the Mustangs... completely understandable though!
> As for the Focus... did you look at the ST? I picked one up in October...
> OMG! This thing is a blast! While not as fast as our Flex is on the
> straight aways,
> the ST is great in the corners!
>
> Glad you are digging your new Focus though... they are a lot cooler than
> when they
> were first introduced so many years ago... LOL

All of the reviews said that the Focus was the best handling car in its
class. I understand that the ST is a hoot - again, every reviewer had
nothing but raves about that version. I specifically picked out a no-option
base model for a reason - I didn't want to marry the thing, just "rent" it
for three years. I believe that if I'd bought an ST, I'd want to keep it for
a good while longer!

While the Focus S is a good bit of fun, the 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine, the
FWD, and the lack of scary-fast acceleration make it a car I will gladly
trade in in three years. I'm enjoying it, sure, and enjoying the savings on
gasoline, absolutely. In the 2 months I've had it, I've saved a bit more
than $300.00 at the pump.

The 2013 looks WAY better than the plain-Jane 1st generation, and (hope my
daughter doesn't read this) even looks much better than daughter's 2008 SES.
But I think Ford has done wonders with the drivability of the car. It's just
a completely different environment than I've been used to.

I have no illusions or delusions about the Focus - it is what it is. But
after seeing what Ford has done with the Focus and the Fusion, I am really
looking forward to the next generation Mustang.

dwight

Old January 16th 13, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:48:22 AM UTC, dwight wrote:
> "John S." wrote in message

> > Sorry to hear about the Mustangs... completely understandable though!

> > As for the Focus... did you look at the ST? I picked one up in October...

> > OMG! This thing is a blast! While not as fast as our Flex is on the

> > straight aways,

> > the ST is great in the corners!

> > Glad you are digging your new Focus though... they are a lot cooler than

> > when they

> > were first introduced so many years ago... LOL

> All of the reviews said that the Focus was the best handling car in its
>
> class. I understand that the ST is a hoot - again, every reviewer had
>
> nothing but raves about that version. I specifically picked out a no-option
>
> base model for a reason - I didn't want to marry the thing, just "rent" it
>
> for three years. I believe that if I'd bought an ST, I'd want to keep it for
>
> a good while longer!
>

> While the Focus S is a good bit of fun, the 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine, the
>
> FWD, and the lack of scary-fast acceleration make it a car I will gladly
>
> trade in in three years. I'm enjoying it, sure, and enjoying the savings on
>
> gasoline, absolutely. In the 2 months I've had it, I've saved a bit more
>
> than $300.00 at the pump.
>

> The 2013 looks WAY better than the plain-Jane 1st generation, and (hope my
>
> daughter doesn't read this) even looks much better than daughter's 2008 SES.
>
> But I think Ford has done wonders with the drivability of the car. It's just
>
> a completely different environment than I've been used to.
>

> I have no illusions or delusions about the Focus - it is what it is. But
>
> after seeing what Ford has done with the Focus and the Fusion, I am really
>
> looking forward to the next generation Mustang.
>

> dwight

My friends at MRT built up a 2013 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion for SEMA this year. Love the looks of the new Fusion! What a fantastic car!

And hear you on the "renting". Sounds like an ideal situation for you. And yes, eager to see what 2015 brings!
Old January 17th 13, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John C.

"dwight" > wrote in message
>A note, to anyone who remembers, that I am now out of the Mustang
>world. For one of the rare moments in my adult life, I am without a
>Mustang.

I never thought I'd see the day. TFrog was an extension of
yourself, it seemed. Life goes on...

> After two months, this new Focus has given me a lifetime average of
> 30mpg. And, even though I have a clean driving record, I had been
> paying a V8 penalty in auto insurance for the Mustangs. With the
> savings at the pump and the savings on insurance, the Focus amounts
> to a "free car." Also, it's a three-year lease*, which means no
> repair bills, no tow trucks, and I probably don't have to worry
> about tires or brakes (until possibly the third year).

Can't beat a "free" car.
30 mpg isn't too shabby, but those new 5.0's get 25. (if ya keep your
foot out of it)

> * Three year lease? Yep. I was really considering a V6 Mustang, not
> a Focus. Problem is, I would want to BUY that V6, then I'd bond with
> it, then I'd want to keep it for the next 20 years. That's my
> history. But I'm looking ahead to 2014 1/2 with great anticipation!
> I'm hoping that Ford really does put out an all-new Mustang,
> dropping the whole retro thing, a Mustang that looks forward, not
> back. I have a hunch that I'm really really really going to want to
> get back into a Mustang at that point.

While I don't share your joy at the prospect of a less-retro-'stang, I
do hope to hear that you get back in the saddle, someday. dwight
without a Mustang, is like a day without sunshine!

If they drop the retro, maybe *I'll* have to keep *mine* for 20 years.
Haha!

--
John C.
'11 GT

Old January 17th 13, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Debbie

On 1/15/2013 8:48 PM, dwight wrote:
> "John S." wrote in message
>>
>> Sorry to hear about the Mustangs... completely understandable though!
>> As for the Focus... did you look at the ST? I picked one up in
>> October...
>> OMG! This thing is a blast! While not as fast as our Flex is on the
>> straight aways,
>> the ST is great in the corners!
>>
>> Glad you are digging your new Focus though... they are a lot cooler
>> than when they
>> were first introduced so many years ago... LOL

> All of the reviews said that the Focus was the best handling car in its
> class. I understand that the ST is a hoot - again, every reviewer had
> nothing but raves about that version. I specifically picked out a
> no-option base model for a reason - I didn't want to marry the thing,
> just "rent" it for three years. I believe that if I'd bought an ST, I'd
> want to keep it for a good while longer!
>
> While the Focus S is a good bit of fun, the 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine,
> the FWD, and the lack of scary-fast acceleration make it a car I will
> gladly trade in in three years. I'm enjoying it, sure, and enjoying the
> savings on gasoline, absolutely. In the 2 months I've had it, I've saved
> a bit more than $300.00 at the pump.
>
> The 2013 looks WAY better than the plain-Jane 1st generation, and (hope
> my daughter doesn't read this) even looks much better than daughter's
> 2008 SES. But I think Ford has done wonders with the drivability of the
> car. It's just a completely different environment than I've been used to.
>
> I have no illusions or delusions about the Focus - it is what it is. But
> after seeing what Ford has done with the Focus and the Fusion, I am
> really looking forward to the next generation Mustang.
>
> dwight

You could always have the Focus tweaked a bit:
http://shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=97

Designed in the Shelby skunkworks and tested extensively at Las Vegas
Motor Speedway, the front wheel drive Shelby Focus ST is a
driver-focused masterpiece of performance with a budget minded price.
Old January 17th 13, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:30:49 PM UTC, Debbie wrote:

> You could always have the Focus tweaked a bit:
>
> http://shelbyamerican.com/newshome.asp?article=97
>

> Designed in the Shelby skunkworks and tested extensively at Las Vegas
>
> Motor Speedway, the front wheel drive Shelby Focus ST is a
>
> driver-focused masterpiece of performance with a budget minded price.

Yeah, all of us on the ST forums are getting a good laugh out of the Shelby ST... $15K for basically a few appearance mods... yeah, budget-minded... LOL!

RIP Roemax Driving 2 June 17th 10 03:54 PM
RIP [email protected] Saturn 6 October 25th 09 07:57 PM
Rip-off? Harry K Driving 17 October 13th 09 03:55 PM
Hey TFROG and anybody else have this problem ? Suggib Ford Mustang 0 September 1st 09 10:18 PM