1955 265 v8 Distributor removal trick?

Old March 13th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
1fordlord

Default 1955 265 v8 Distributor removal trick?

Good Evening,
I am restoring a 55' Nomad with a 265 V8. Is there a distributor
removal trick, or is it just a crappy design. I admit I am a FORD guy,
so I may just be spoiled. I am just baffled that they would have the
firewall molded which gives the illusion that the distributor pulls
straight up. The engine compartment is so freaking huge I can sit in
there and have lunch. I just can't imagine the assembly needs to be
removed. My shop manual doesn't say anything either. The distributor
is free and it comes up and is free but I can't seem to angle it
properly to get it out. It barely hits the assemply on the firewall.
Please tell me I am just missing something. Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dave