94 jeep grand cherokee

Old July 13th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
snowball_flake

Default 94 jeep grand cherokee

I have a 94 jeep grand cherokee. It gets hot we changed the thermostat
and the water pump. It also dies and won’t start a few hours. If
anyone has an idea please let me know thanks

Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/94-jeep-gr...ict248034.html
Old July 13th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

Corby wrote:
> snowball_flake > wrote in news:1206287_
> :
>
>> I have a 94 jeep grand cherokee. It gets hot we changed the thermostat
>> and the water pump. It also dies and won’t start a few hours. If
>> anyone has an idea please let me know thanks
>>

> I am currently having this same problem with my '95 GC. I determined(with
> much assistance from mechanic friends) that the problem is the fan clutch.
> With mine, it only overheats when I run the A/C because the fan doesn't
> kick on all the time and the A/C compressor puts out more heat than the
> engine can handle on its own. I replaced my thermostat first, and it
> changed nothing(but needed done anyway) and my next thought was the water
> pump. But...nothing was leaking. So, I hope this helps. Piece of advice,
> even if you don't plan to work on the jeep yourself, get a Haynes or
> Chiltons manual, and if you have the means, get a factory service manual
> (ebay). They come in VERY handy.

The factory manual for the 94 ZJ is available from
www.techauthority.comm which is the Chrysler book web site. Worth the
money on something like this.

It helps if the original poster could include details such as
engine, 4.0 or v8
automatic temp control air conditioning or manual
transmission cooler
how many miles
any foaming white substance in the oil

does it run hot if the ac is left off

does the thermostatic fan run at full speed when the engine warms up?
you can easily hear it on the ZJ.

does it lose coolant?

if the radiator is filled with 50/50 completely, does it overflow
properly into the overflow tank as it warms up? visible in that tank

what shape is the exhaust manifold in?

The catalyst? the oxygen sensor?

serpentine tight

has it always run hot [it shouldnt] or did this just start lately?

If you pull the radiator cap with engine cold, then warm it up so the
thermostat opens, do you have good water flow?

any leaking from the water pump weep hole?

If it has the ATC, can you pull fault codes off the engine panel?
[key on, off on off on]

Reposted old, lousy scans - better than babble from the resident coward: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler & Cherokee Frt Qtr.jpg 255768 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 8th 06 01:37 PM
Reposted old, lousy scans - better than babble from the resident coward: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Cherokee Frt Qtr.jpg 335054 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 8th 06 01:31 PM
Old scan reposts (mostly bad) 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Grand Wagoneer White Frt Qtr.jpg (Easynews) 249470 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Auto Photos 0 December 6th 06 02:44 PM
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee: How bad is this going to be? pawn Chrysler 3 January 20th 05 11:24 PM
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee: How bad is this going to be? pawn Chrysler 0 January 20th 05 03:18 PM