Bait & switch at Vee Dub parts Unlimited

Old December 20th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

Default Bait & switch at Vee Dub parts Unlimited

Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag.
and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and
then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice."
Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you??
should we expose such practices ?

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old December 21st 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Dec 20, 10:28 am, A Veteran > wrote:
> Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag.
> and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
> three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and
> then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice."
> Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you??
> should we expose such practices ?
>
> --
> when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
> All problems look like nails.

I think if you look at a lot of the ads in the magazine you'll find a
similar disclaimer, albeit in pretty small print. Some of them will
say "prices supercede all other ads" or something like that. Doesn't
mean I necessarily agree with it, though it does suck about three
month lead time with the magazines publication and all, as these kinds
of issues will come up from time to time. I would think they'd honor
the price if they would want to keep your business.
Old December 21st 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Threaten to tell your local VW club about not working with them if they do
not honor the prior price. If they don't, tell everyone and don't ever use
them.

--
DAN MEDINA

Old December 21st 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:01:08 -0500, "Funkie" >
wrote:

>Threaten to tell your local VW club about not working with them if they do
>not honor the prior price. If they don't, tell everyone and don't ever use
>them.

thats kinda like businesses over charging for service and not
delivering
Old December 21st 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Dec 21, 5:55 am, wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:01:08 -0500, "Funkie" >
> wrote:
>
> >Threaten to tell your local VW club about not working with them if they do
> >not honor the prior price. If they don't, tell everyone and don't ever use
> >them.

> thats kinda like businesses over charging for service and not
> delivering

a few things to keep in mind.

1) there could be a printing error (hence the price change w/o notice)
you wouldn't want to sell something that is supposed to be 119.99 for
11.99

2) magazines get printed 2-3 months in advance before they hit the
shelves. So when you put your ad in there, could be 4-5 months before
somebody will see it. Now keeping same prices for 3 months is not so
bad.

3) everybody has to eat, so gotta be profitable otherwise it's bye
bye.

It's not like somebody is holding a gun to your head when you call
them and forcing you to buy stuff. Look for other places. Most of
the time prices come out pretty even. If not then part you are
looking at is different quality. Some places offer free shipping on
orders over certain amount. Shop around.

Anton

Old December 21st 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

A Veteran wrote:
> Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag.
> and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
> three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and
> then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice."
> Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you??
> should we expose such practices ?

As long as they tell you the price before you complete the transaction I
see no problem. Price do fluctuate and there is a lead time associated
with getting advertising artwork submitted to a magazine before
printing. An ad in a magazine is not a type of binding contract. They
have the right to change prices and you have the right not to buy the
item at the new price. I just don't see an issue here.

Old December 22nd 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
whitefordtruck

Leopold Stotch wrote:
>A Veteran wrote:
>> Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag.
>> and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
>> three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and
>> then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice."
>> Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you??
>> should we expose such practices ?

>As long as they tell you the price before you complete the transaction I
>see no problem. Price do fluctuate and there is a lead time associated
>with getting advertising artwork submitted to a magazine before
>printing. An ad in a magazine is not a type of binding contract. They
>have the right to change prices and you have the right not to buy the
>item at the new price. I just don't see an issue here.

Yeah, national mags have different laws and whatnot. most states have anti
bait-and-switch laws "truth in advertising' to prevent this sort of thing.

Old December 23rd 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Andrew

Well, it just sucks. They got your hopes up, and would also madden me.
To me, this is just a minor infraction. A change in price, where you
had the choice to decide. I'd consider a bait and switch, selling a
Goodyear tire, but unknowingly recieving a Walmart Cooper tire.

Old December 27th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Leopold Stotch[_2_]

whitefordtruck wrote:
> Leopold Stotch wrote:
>> A Veteran wrote:
>>> Months ago I ordered some tires at the price in the latest "Hot VW's mag.
>>> and they said that was the "old" prices and they up-date the ad's every
>>> three months. I said that the old prices has been around 4 months , and
>>> then they said the "reserve the right to change prices w/o notice."
>>> Isn't that the old "bait and switch" method to get you??
>>> should we expose such practices ?

>> As long as they tell you the price before you complete the transaction I
>> see no problem. Price do fluctuate and there is a lead time associated
>> with getting advertising artwork submitted to a magazine before
>> printing. An ad in a magazine is not a type of binding contract. They
>> have the right to change prices and you have the right not to buy the
>> item at the new price. I just don't see an issue here.

> Yeah, national mags have different laws and whatnot. most states have anti
> bait-and-switch laws "truth in advertising' to prevent this sort of thing.

All you got to do is tell them to F**k themselves if you don't like the
deal. I don't see the problem here. God, have we all turned into such
bed wetting children that we think we need to call in the Feds to
protect us from every little thing? If you don't like the deal, don't
buy the merchandise. It's not like they got a gun to your head. Grow a
pair and hang up the phone if you don't like the price.

Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising? j Technology 13 September 8th 06 09:31 PM
bait & switch ad in Hot VW A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 5 August 24th 06 04:00 AM
bait cars Arif Khokar Driving 0 April 27th 06 06:39 AM
WW II Jeep Parts GPW MB Main Light Switch, Wiper Motor For Sale Jeep Parts Jeep 0 August 26th 05 06:16 PM
Bait and Switch on Trade-in Estimate Payoffs Jesse General 0 March 9th 04 08:59 PM