vibration problems with jeep

Old February 12th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default vibration problems with jeep

having problems finding anyone with knowledge on the process gear 247 j
transfer case in the little town where i live.originally took it in and
they said rear u joints were bad.replaced them vibration got worse.went
back they said maybe it was a bearing in the tranfer case.they told me to
take the extension housing off of the transfer case and there should be a
bearing there to replace that bearing.so i bought three different manuals
and none of the manuals actually shows my transfer case.is it actually
possible to remove the cover and replace the bearing or is this more like
a rebuild job?all we have here in town is an autozone and they have been
more cofusing than anything not very knowledgeable.after spending alot of
money between what the auto parts said and the garage we had look at it
the new thing they tell me is that they don't actually know they never
worked on the 247 j.that it is an oddball transfer case is this true?it's
our only mode of transportation trying to fix it to get to work.would
greatly appreciate any help with this not getting anything but alot of i
don't knows here.wish they would have told me that before i spent so much
money.they sold me a bunch of parts that weren't the right ones now they
are saying everything for it are dealer items is this true?one mechanic
tried to tell me he had never heard of the bearings going bad in the
transfer case???Please need help first jeep we ever had don't know what
else to do don't have the money to take it to the dealership and have it
fixed.

Old February 13th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Why don't you respond to your first thread before starting another
jumble?

You have 5 other u-joints that you didn't check for vibration.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 14th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

as far as your sarcastic response i don't have five u joints on my jeep
only two on drive shaft no u joints at all on front drive shaft the
vibration came from new u joints not being seated took drive shaft in
mechanic hit ears on yokes with hammer and sprung the yokes and it freed
up the u joints seems crazy being something so simple as that

Old February 14th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

In article outautos.com>,
lbg > wrote:
#as far as your sarcastic response i don't have five u joints on my jeep
#only two on drive shaft no u joints at all on front drive shaft the
#vibration came from new u joints not being seated took drive shaft in
#mechanic hit ears on yokes with hammer and sprung the yokes and it freed
#up the u joints seems crazy being something so simple as that

Well, he was not being sarcastic. Older jeeps do have more U-Joints.
Older jeeps may have U-Joints for the front shaft and in the front
axles. Glad things worked out for you.

/herb
Old February 14th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

My apologies, I wasn't being sarcastic. From experience folks that
start multiple threads usually get really mixed up answers that get them
more confused than anything else.

I also didn't realize you had a 2 wheel drive Jeep.....

'Most' Jeeps I see up here in Canada are 4 wheel drive and have 7
u-joints or CV joint combos mixed in.

On the 4 wheel drive Jeeps, you have a front driveshaft that has 2
u-joints or a double cardan joint or CV joint at the t-case, one more
driveshaft u-joint where it connects to the front axle pumpkin, so 3 all
together on the front driveshaft and one more u-joint or CV joint at the
end of 'each' axle so you can turn the front wheels.

This makes for 5 'more' possible vibration sites, any of which can cause
your symptoms.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's