Service traction control?

Old March 12th 13, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

Default Service traction control?

My car (an 06 C6) is talking to me again, this time a warning that my
traction control needs servicing (30K mi.).

What's up? Before I throw myself under the mercy of the dealer, is
this something I can "service" myself? I am handy, though at 68 a bit
stiff if much crawling is required.

Ideas?
Old March 13th 13, 01:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"brian" > wrote in message
> My car (an 06 C6) is talking to me again, this time a warning that my
> traction control needs servicing (30K mi.).
>
> What's up? Before I throw myself under the mercy of the dealer, is
> this something I can "service" myself? I am handy, though at 68 a bit
> stiff if much crawling is required.
>
> Ideas?

Did you buy it used? If not you should get a recall notice 10118. They
install a clip number 19179794 to help keep a connector connected. Don't
miss out of this fantastic offer from the general.

Get it done so if it don't work you have tried to satisfy the General and
when it returns and hits the right front brake like it did for me you'll be
able to sue, won't do any good but what the hay.

When all else fails contact Mike Packard (if he's still there) at the NHTSA,
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and/or file a complaint.

Yes, you can fix it yourself but you should cover you ass and have them do
the work, takes about an hour.

Old March 13th 13, 01:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:42:22 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"brian" > wrote in message
.. .
>> My car (an 06 C6) is talking to me again, this time a warning that my
>> traction control needs servicing (30K mi.).
>>
>> What's up? Before I throw myself under the mercy of the dealer, is
>> this something I can "service" myself? I am handy, though at 68 a bit
>> stiff if much crawling is required.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

>Did you buy it used? If not you should get a recall notice 10118. They
>install a clip number 19179794 to help keep a connector connected. Don't
>miss out of this fantastic offer from the general.
>
>Get it done so if it don't work you have tried to satisfy the General and
>when it returns and hits the right front brake like it did for me you'll be
>able to sue, won't do any good but what the hay.
>
>When all else fails contact Mike Packard (if he's still there) at the NHTSA,
>https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and/or file a complaint.
>
>Yes, you can fix it yourself but you should cover you ass and have them do
>the work, takes about an hour.

I am the original owner and have only received the top separation
recall. I need to drive the car tomorrow (300 mi) is that ok? I'll
bring it in for repair after that.
Old March 13th 13, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:17:24 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>"brian" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Did you buy it used? If not you should get a recall notice 10118. They
>>>install a clip number 19179794 to help keep a connector connected. Don't
>>>miss out of this fantastic offer from the general.
>>>
>>>Get it done so if it don't work you have tried to satisfy the General and
>>>when it returns and hits the right front brake like it did for me you'll
>>>be
>>>able to sue, won't do any good but what the hay.
>>>
>>>When all else fails contact Mike Packard (if he's still there) at the
>>>NHTSA,
>>>https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and/or file a complaint.
>>>
>>>Yes, you can fix it yourself but you should cover you ass and have them do
>>>the work, takes about an hour.
>>>

>> I am the original owner and have only received the top separation
>> recall. I need to drive the car tomorrow (300 mi) is that ok? I'll
>> bring it in for repair after that.
>>

>I'm not here to take away your responsibility to decide when your car is
>"OK" to drive, all I can tell you is that it has happened to me and I had no
>control problems. Also it seems that after the warning comes on that it is
>passed the disconcerting right front brake grab that is minor on mine but
>disconcerting. I drove mine for 2 years and wiped the warning off with an
>OBDII program maybe 5/6 times with no problems. The real problem remains
>unknown and can be something of which I have no experience.
>
>Did you search the NHTSA database to see if there is a recall on your car?

Thanks for the insights. I'll check out the recall list. You take away
nothing for me, I was just asking for an opinion/experiences.

So..... off to LA I go....
Old March 13th 13, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

brian wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:17:24 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

>>> I am the original owner and have only received the top separation
>>> recall. I need to drive the car tomorrow (300 mi) is that ok? I'll
>>> bring it in for repair after that.
>>>

>> I'm not here to take away your responsibility to decide when your car is
>> "OK" to drive, all I can tell you is that it has happened to me and I had no
>> control problems. Also it seems that after the warning comes on that it is
>> passed the disconcerting right front brake grab that is minor on mine but
>> disconcerting. I drove mine for 2 years and wiped the warning off with an
>> OBDII program maybe 5/6 times with no problems. The real problem remains
>> unknown and can be something of which I have no experience.
>>
>> Did you search the NHTSA database to see if there is a recall on your car?
>>

> Thanks for the insights. I'll check out the recall list. You take away
> nothing for me, I was just asking for an opinion/experiences.
>
> So..... off to LA I go....

....the 405 is a MESS through Westwood, if you have to go past there.
Don't plan on any on/off 405 access from the UCLA area between Sunset
and Wilshire...this as of my trip last night. *Late* last night...

--
- Rufus
Old March 13th 13, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"brian" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:42:22 -0500, "Dad" > wrote:

. ..

Old March 13th 13, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
brian

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:57:51 -0700, Rufus > wrote:

>brian wrote:

>>> I'm not here to take away your responsibility to decide when your car is
>>> "OK" to drive, all I can tell you is that it has happened to me and I had no
>>> control problems. Also it seems that after the warning comes on that it is
>>> passed the disconcerting right front brake grab that is minor on mine but
>>> disconcerting. I drove mine for 2 years and wiped the warning off with an
>>> OBDII program maybe 5/6 times with no problems. The real problem remains
>>> unknown and can be something of which I have no experience.
>>>
>>> Did you search the NHTSA database to see if there is a recall on your car?
>>>

>> Thanks for the insights. I'll check out the recall list. You take away
>> nothing for me, I was just asking for an opinion/experiences.
>>
>> So..... off to LA I go....
>>

>...the 405 is a MESS through Westwood, if you have to go past there.
>Don't plan on any on/off 405 access from the UCLA area between Sunset
>and Wilshire...this as of my trip last night. *Late* last night...

Thanks for the report.

I've been driving up to Culver City from San Diego (on the 405) for
close to a year now. Every other week and it is always a mess
somewhere, it's LA!! So many of us, all going and going fast.

I am usually in the fast lane doing between 75 and 80. I mostly drive
an old Sienna (trying to ware it out) but this time it's the Vette's
turn. Makes for a bit better driving experience. Although that could
be debated, considering LA and all.............
Old January 14th 14, 10:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:07:54 PM UTC-4, brian wrote:
> My car (an 06 C6) is talking to me again, this time a warning that my
>
> traction control needs servicing (30K mi.).
>

> What's up? Before I throw myself under the mercy of the dealer, is
>
> this something I can "service" myself? I am handy, though at 68 a bit
>
> stiff if much crawling is required.
>

> Ideas?

As a general note - when your getting error codes and 'out of the blue' warning indicators - check your battery.

My 06 used to tell me the tires were flat (not) and then after driving in 'crippled' mode for 10 minutes - everything was a-ok. I'm guessing you still have/had the OEM battery. Mine went south at 18K miles and 5 years (I'm a second owner - original owner put less than 8K mikes on it in 4 years).

Time and duty cycles are your batteries enemy - Vettes drain power continuously and the OEM battery was what they got from the lowest bidder.

Might save you or someone elase some unnecessary pain.