Beetle/bug Pickup project

Old May 19th 13, 10:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

Default What did you do to your VW today?

On Saturday, 18 May 2013 02:34:53 UTC+12, Bill Leary wrote:

> My curiosities a
>

> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>
> - and -
>
> What is their status?
>
> On the road, running but not on the road?
>
> Stored?
>
> Things like that.
>

> - Bill

My 72 1200 is pretty much road worthy, But I haven't taken it in for it's test, becuase then I have to register it and insure it!

My 1984 VW T3 Transporter (Vanagon) is my daily, until I get my electric assist bicycle totally complete. Of course, It's watercooled... and Subaru powered to boot!
Old May 21st 13, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Retired with a 70 Squareback as a daily driver. Wife has Sonata, excellent
car but soulless.
Only real bother seems to be starting when hot which it seems is a function
of the volatility of
unleaded in Aust. Usual issues with flywheel oil seal dribbling and torque
converter seal adding
a nice red colour to puddle on floor. Frequent oil changes and keeping
engine spotless ( so heat can
conduct/radiate away) seems to be key to long life. Auto never been out, has
estimated 300000 miles
and engine has had one work over 20 years ago.
John

Old May 22nd 13, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
vwluvrs[_2_]

Default Beetle/bug Pickup project

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/765764.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405233.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/363471.jpg
Old May 23rd 13, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"vwluvrs" wrote in message
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/765764.jpg
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405233.jpg
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/363471.jpg

These are pretty nice.

Well, except that I don't like lowered vehicles. They always look, to me,
like the suspension is broken. And cosmetically not having the wheels like
up correctly in the fenders looks wrong.

- Bill

Old May 24th 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
AllanW

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 06:25:43 UTC+12, vwluvrs wrote:
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/765764.jpg
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405233.jpg
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/363471.jpg

NICE!

Wouldn't get down my drive, but those look well done! Not like a hack job at all.
Old May 26th 13, 10:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

I do like the look of them pickups
Also, I like the way a VW gathering looks the same all over the world !

Old June 16th 13, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ChrisKlinger

Bill Leary wrote:

> I could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>
> My curiosities a
>
> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
> - and -
> What is their status?
> On the road, running but not on the road?
> Stored?
> Things like that.
>
> - Bill

1965 Karmann Ghia 1835cc dual 44 Weber - Daily driver

1960 ('59 build) Beetle. 6V 36HP non-synchro 1st bone stock, right down to
the horn that can be disassembled and repaired (still planning to get the
screw-terminal oil-pressure sender one day); stored at my parent's house,
waiting for 'time' to go through it. Needing paint, headliner, brakes. All
else pretty much perfect.

Chris
Old June 16th 13, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"ChrisKlinger" wrote in message ...
> Bill Leary wrote:
>> could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>>
>> My curiosities a
>>
>> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>> - and -
>> What is their status?
>> On the road, running but not on the road?
>> Stored?
>> Things like that.

> 1965 Karmann Ghia 1835cc dual 44 Weber - Daily driver

Do you have a picture of that somewhere online? My brother was a fan of the
Ghia.

> 1960 ('59 build) Beetle. 6V 36HP non-synchro 1st bone stock, right down
> to the horn that can be disassembled and repaired (still planning to get
> the screw-terminal oil-pressure sender one day); stored at my parent's
> house, waiting for 'time' to go through it. Needing paint, headliner,
> brakes.
> All else pretty much perfect.

Sounds like a nice machine. Even with the needed work.

Thanks.

- Bill

Old June 17th 13, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

On 6/16/2013 3:59 PM, Bill Leary wrote:
> "ChrisKlinger" wrote in message ...
>> Bill Leary wrote:
>>> could comment on what I did to my VW today, but mine's water cooled.
>>>
>>> My curiosities a
>>>
>>> How many in this group still have air cooled VW's?
>>> - and -
>>> What is their status?
>>> On the road, running but not on the road?
>>> Stored?
>>> Things like that.

>> 1965 Karmann Ghia 1835cc dual 44 Weber - Daily driver

> Do you have a picture of that somewhere online? My brother was a fan of
> the Ghia.
>
>> 1960 ('59 build) Beetle. 6V 36HP non-synchro 1st bone stock, right down
>> to the horn that can be disassembled and repaired (still planning to get
>> the screw-terminal oil-pressure sender one day); stored at my parent's
>> house, waiting for 'time' to go through it. Needing paint, headliner,
>> brakes.
>> All else pretty much perfect.

> Sounds like a nice machine. Even with the needed work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Bill

Actually started working on my '64 Beetle. It has 98000 miles on it.
Took apart the front hubs and plan to re-grease the bearings & all
grease points. The car needs paint, interior re-done, fuel system
cleaned out, and I have a spare engine to put in it while I get my
current engine rebuilt. The tires are probably dry rotted too.