Bait and switch

Old March 20th 18, 09:06 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.misc
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default Bait and switch

I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different States)
for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I checked the VIN
at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.

Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait and
switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no badge on
the back to indicate the trim level?

Perce
Old March 20th 18, 10:05 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.misc
News

> I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different States)
> for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I checked the VIN
> at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
>
> Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait and
> switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no badge on
> the back to indicate the trim level?
>
> Perce

I have seen cases where Prius or Prius v that show as base models (i.e.
2, 3 or Three) on the Toyota Owners site are legitimate factory
up-market cars (i.e. models 4, 5, or Five), based on the features build out.
Old March 21st 18, 12:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.misc
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

On 03/20/2018 05:05 PM, News wrote:

>> I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different
>> States) for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I
>> checked the VIN at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
>>
>> Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait
>> and switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no
>> badge on the back to indicate the trim level?

> I have seen cases where Prius or Prius v that show as base models (i.e.
> 2, 3 or Three) on the Toyota Owners site are legitimate factory
> up-market cars (i.e. models 4, 5, or Five), based on the features build
> out.

In at least one of those cases, I know that the purported Prius Four is
only a Prius Two -- because I inspected the vehicle and found that it
does not have the Prius Four features that were included in the seller's
description and were the basis of the Kelly Blue Book estimate of the
vehicle's fair market price (or whatever term Kelly uses) and the
displayed "CARFAX Value."

I found another listing where the heading said "Prius Four," but the
detailed description was that of a Prius Two, and the price and the
displayed "CARFAX Value" were appropriate for a Prius Two.

Perce
Old March 21st 18, 01:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.prius,rec.autos.misc
Your Name[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 20:06:31 +0000, Percival P. Cassidy said:

> I just found two listings (by different dealerships in different
> States) for what purported to be used Prius Fours, which, when I
> checked the VIN at carfax.com, turned out to be Prius Twos.
>
> Is this kind of thing common with other models and makes, or is bait
> and switch easier and more common with Priuses because there is no
> badge on the back to indicate the trim level?
>
> Perce

I find numerous errors in the local freebie cars for sale magazine
(dealer adverts, not private sales), from simple errors such as the
completely wrong photo through to ridiculous things like saying a Mazda
MX-5/Miata has four doors.

On the local eBay clone which has a vehicle section, there are cars
also ridiculous descriptions. One not long ago was advertised as
"unmodified" in the title, yet the description was on about it having
been lowered, different driver's seat, bigger/louder exhaust, the
pictures showed extra dials installed on top of the dashboard, etc. I
actually posted a question querying how that could possibly be
"unmodified" and the idiot simply replied with "thank you for your
comment" and then had the question deleted. :-\

Bait Car necromancer[_7_] Driving 12 February 12th 10 04:40 PM
Bait & switch at Vee Dub parts Unlimited A Veteran VW air cooled 8 December 27th 07 05:11 AM
Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising? j Technology 13 September 8th 06 09:31 PM
bait & switch ad in Hot VW A Veteran for Peace VW air cooled 5 August 24th 06 04:00 AM
Bait and Switch on Trade-in Estimate Payoffs Jesse General 0 March 9th 04 08:59 PM