Any input by Ford techs appreciated regarding 99 Eddie Bauer

Old February 22nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Any input by Ford techs appreciated regarding 99 Eddie Bauer

Is it possible to start a 99 Eddie Bauer without key?
Basically getting around the transponder system. One of my clients (I'm an
insurance guy) had a 99 Eddie Bauer stolen and subsequently recovered.
Carrier denied the claim saying that even though there was damage around
steering column and ignition lock itself was removed (which made ignition
starter accessible) that it was not sufficient to operate the Explorer. That
you still need the correct key because of passive security/immobilizer device
& without key, vehicle won't start.
Any input greatly appreciated as I think this kid is possibly getting shafted
and would like to sound somewhat intelligent when I fight the claims dept.

Thanks for any responses. K
Old February 22nd 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Failed to mention, not looking for a step by step on how one would go about
this, I'm not a car thief, just seeking an experienced opinion on whether it
is possible or not. Best, K
Old February 22nd 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

i'm not a tech but on my truck i have a remote start system and i had to
have a third key made and is in a box with a wire that wraps around lock
on the colum and when i hit the button it sends the signal from the key to
the colum to start the car now being an x car thief if i choped the colum
and found one of these wires i would follow the wire to the key because
people are lazy and do not hide these boxes properly mine was put just
under a panel under the dash i took the whole dash apart and hid it the
right way

Old February 23rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"gosidracer" <u18980@uwe> wrote in message news:5c3d9184a7277@uwe...
> Is it possible to start a 99 Eddie Bauer without key?
> Basically getting around the transponder system. One of my clients (I'm an
> insurance guy) had a 99 Eddie Bauer stolen and subsequently recovered.
> Carrier denied the claim saying that even though there was damage around
> steering column and ignition lock itself was removed (which made ignition
> starter accessible) that it was not sufficient to operate the Explorer.

That
> you still need the correct key because of passive security/immobilizer

device
> & without key, vehicle won't start.
> Any input greatly appreciated as I think this kid is possibly getting

shafted
> and would like to sound somewhat intelligent when I fight the claims dept.
>
> Thanks for any responses. K

Seems to me that the easiest way to steal a vehicle is to load the vehicle
on a rollback. Maybe the theives had to rip out the lock so they could shift
the transmission to neutral and position the steering wheel to make it
easier to load on a rollback (or tow it away).

Ed

Old February 24th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Ask that same claims dept. for the insurance industries own report of
vehicles stolen by make and model. The Explorer is not in the top ten, but
its on there. Then ask them how they know the vehicle could not have been
stolen.

Then tell the owner to contact the state insurance commissioners office and
file a report. They should clear it up for him in about 15 minutes, unless
there is some evidence on the police report that the owner vandalized his own
car.

Old February 24th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks for all the responses.

Ross, pretty much headed in that direction. I've spoken to a few of the body
shops I deal with and they've shed some light on it as well. Claim rep is
prick hiding behind his phone and the head of the dept. is not much better.
I've compiled some pretty solid facts last 48 hrs. and I'll walk this kid
over to the commissioners office myself if need be. No indication that he did
anything wrong...carriers here are just looking for ways to deny claims. Only
one inconsistency with his story and it should have had no bearing on the
outcome. Just a time frame thing and honestly, I just think he confused the
order of events and was a bit out of sorts when they interviewed him. I was
already headed in the commissioners direction, but absolutely forgot about
that little list.

Seriously, thanks again to those who took the time to respond, I'll post
again when it's resolved. Kevin