1984 Mustang/Capri 5.0 with a factory turbo or supercharger?

Old June 25th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Default 1984 Mustang/Capri 5.0 with a factory turbo or supercharger?

Is it just my imagination? I know that some Mustangs of the time
had the 4cyl turbo, and a supercharged V6 was available in some
Ford vehicles according to web searches. I have it in the back of my
mind that there was a turbo/supercharged version available on
5.0 Mustangs and Capris because I've seen photos of these cars
with "domed" hoods. Factory installed? Aftermarket? I dunno.

Still having fun with my 84 Capri RS 5.0

Dick
Old June 25th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mackly

"Dick R." > wrote in message
. ..
> Is it just my imagination? I know that some Mustangs of the time
> had the 4cyl turbo, and a supercharged V6 was available in some
> Ford vehicles according to web searches. I have it in the back of my
> mind that there was a turbo/supercharged version available on
> 5.0 Mustangs and Capris because I've seen photos of these cars
> with "domed" hoods. Factory installed? Aftermarket? I dunno.
>
> Still having fun with my 84 Capri RS 5.0
>
> Dick

ford SVOs, a place over here was into turbos on 4 cyl. racing for many years

Old June 25th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-06-25, Dick R. > wrote:
> Is it just my imagination? I know that some Mustangs of the time
> had the 4cyl turbo, and a supercharged V6 was available in some
> Ford vehicles according to web searches. I have it in the back of my
> mind that there was a turbo/supercharged version available on
> 5.0 Mustangs and Capris because I've seen photos of these cars
> with "domed" hoods. Factory installed? Aftermarket? I dunno.
>
> Still having fun with my 84 Capri RS 5.0

To the best of my knowledge Ford has never offered a production turbo
charged V8 engine of any sort in a passenger car anywhere in the world.
I think the closest ford gets is the turbocharged inline 6s offered over
the years in the Aussie Falcon.

Supercharged, yes. turbocharged v8 prototypes and show cars probably,
just not for mass production.

Old June 26th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

On Jun 25, 2:37*pm, Brent > wrote:

> Supercharged, yes. turbocharged v8 prototypes and show cars probably,
> just not for mass production.

Patent searches show Ford has applied for a patent on a 5.0 pushrod V8
turbo engine,
but it is currently in development only. I cannot recall a production
V8 turboed Ford engine
with the exception of their pickup truck diesels and if you get nit-
picky, it's a Navistar engine.
The bulged hoods on some of the cars from the late 70's or 80's were
for 4 cyl turbos and they were on the
Fairmonts, Mustangs, and even some ZX2 Escorts. T-bird turbo coupes
come to mind also from the late 80s,
again 4 cylinders.

One American V8 car that did have a turbo was the late 70's or early
80's Pontiac TransAm. Pontiac
purposely put on a small restrictive turbo and this car was a dog.
Factory 258 6 cylinder AMC Gremlins
could beat this car in the quarter mile.

If somebody call recall a Ford V8 engine with a turbo from this era,
I'd like to see it, but I bet it's aftermarket.

Old June 26th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

Dick R. wrote:
> Is it just my imagination? I know that some Mustangs of the time
> had the 4cyl turbo, and a supercharged V6 was available in some
> Ford vehicles according to web searches. I have it in the back of my
> mind that there was a turbo/supercharged version available on
> 5.0 Mustangs and Capris because I've seen photos of these cars
> with "domed" hoods. Factory installed? Aftermarket? I dunno.
>
> Still having fun with my 84 Capri RS 5.0
>
> Dick

I think I solved the mystery. When searching the web I found:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984814

Hey, that's my Capri! Color, paint, trim, fake dual exhaust are all there, but
the 5.0 on the fender is missing. I can't enlarge the image enough to read the
text, but it looks like a turbo is shown in the brochure, and I suspect it's
a Capri version of the Mustang 4cyl turbo SVO.

Dick