Check Engine Light With E85

Old December 23rd 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

Default Check Engine Light With E85

I have 2003 Dodge Caravan SE, which takes E85 (has the E85 sticker on the
gas cap door), but I've never used it before. The other day my tank was half
full, and I filled it up with E85. A couple dozen miles later my check
engine light went on. It stayed on for a couple of days. Today the check
engine light didn't go on; but it's also much colder today than it's been
the past couple of days, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

So I was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems using E85, such as
might cause the check engine light to come on, or otherwise. (The car
actually seems to ride a little smoother; but that could just be my
imagination.) I need to get my state inspection sticker next month, and I
certainly don't want any problems with the check engine light right when I
have to do my inspection.

Thanks!

Neil

Old December 23rd 07, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Refinish King[_2_]

I can also help:

Most likely the fuel sensor in the fuel line. But that's just a guess. The
computer sends a richer mix on E-85, because Ethanol does not have the BTU's
nor the flame propagation of gasoline.

RK

Old December 23rd 07, 06:14 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge

Old December 23rd 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

"Refinish King" > wrote in message
>I can also help:
>
> Most likely the fuel sensor in the fuel line. But that's just a guess. The
> computer sends a richer mix on E-85, because Ethanol does not have the
> BTU's nor the flame propagation of gasoline.

I know the owner's manual says that the check engine light might come on
when you use cheaper gasoline. So that might be the same thing. However, the
check engine light's going to come on whenever I use E85, then the car's not
really made for using E85, is it?

Old December 23rd 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Neil" > wrote in message
et...
> > > wrote in message ...

the

check

been

with

> >> Get the code retrieved (OBD11) and report back here. This has got me
> >> very curious. Just because the lites off, the code will still be
> >> stored.
> >>
> >> Pete

> "Refinish King" > wrote in message
> >I can also help:
> >
> > Most likely the fuel sensor in the fuel line. But that's just a guess.

The
> > computer sends a richer mix on E-85, because Ethanol does not have the
> > BTU's nor the flame propagation of gasoline.
> >

> I know the owner's manual says that the check engine light might come on
> when you use cheaper gasoline. So that might be the same thing. However,

the
> check engine light's going to come on whenever I use E85, then the car's

not
> really made for using E85, is it?

Why not find out what the fault code is before you do anything!! A loose gas
cap fault code has nothing to do with E85.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 2nd 08, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

"Neil" > wrote in message
news
>I have 2003 Dodge Caravan SE, which takes E85 (has the E85 sticker on the
>gas cap door), but I've never used it before. The other day my tank was
>half full, and I filled it up with E85. A couple dozen miles later my check
>engine light went on. It stayed on for a couple of days. Today the check
>engine light didn't go on; but it's also much colder today than it's been
>the past couple of days, so I don't know if that has anything to do with
>it.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems using E85, such as
> might cause the check engine light to come on, or otherwise. (The car
> actually seems to ride a little smoother; but that could just be my
> imagination.) I need to get my state inspection sticker next month, and I
> certainly don't want any problems with the check engine light right when I
> have to do my inspection.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil

Here's an interesting thing re. this. I didn't get the fault code yet
because, as noted, the check engine light was off.

The last time I had put half a tank of E85 in, so it was 50% E85. Tonight I
got gas again, and filled up with E85. The tank was 1/3 full, so it now is
about 85% E85.

Though, as noted, the check engine light has been off, about 5 miles after
filling up again on E85, the check engine light went on again.

So that's twice in a row that it went on after filling up on E85.

Old January 2nd 08, 02:54 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

"Neil" > wrote in message

> "Neil" > wrote in message
> news
>>I have 2003 Dodge Caravan SE, which takes E85 (has the E85 sticker on the
>>gas cap door), but I've never used it before. The other day my tank was
>>half full, and I filled it up with E85. A couple dozen miles later my
>>check engine light went on. It stayed on for a couple of days. Today the
>>check engine light didn't go on; but it's also much colder today than it's
>>been the past couple of days, so I don't know if that has anything to do
>>with it.
>>
>> So I was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems using E85, such as
>> might cause the check engine light to come on, or otherwise. (The car
>> actually seems to ride a little smoother; but that could just be my
>> imagination.) I need to get my state inspection sticker next month, and I
>> certainly don't want any problems with the check engine light right when
>> I have to do my inspection.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Here's an interesting thing re. this. I didn't get the fault code yet
> because, as noted, the check engine light was off.
>
> The last time I had put half a tank of E85 in, so it was 50% E85. Tonight
> I got gas again, and filled up with E85. The tank was 1/3 full, so it now
> is about 85% E85.
>
> Though, as noted, the check engine light has been off, about 5 miles after
> filling up again on E85, the check engine light went on again.
>
> So that's twice in a row that it went on after filling up on E85.

I think I found the solution to this. There's an article at
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10...d-to-gasoline/
which says in part:

"Dee Rithman, the owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus, was happy to learn that her
car was designed to accept E85 even though there are currently no ethanol
filling stations in her area. On a recent trip to Austin, she came by an E85
station and decided fill up with the gas alternative. 'About three or four
days later, I'm getting the check engine light on my car,' she says. For
$70, a mechanic told her 'because you've been putting regular gas in it for
six years, the engine's not going to take it because it's not used to it.'

"WOAI contacted the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition who said that,
unfortunately, a lot of drivers experience this, but the problem is neither
serious nor permanent. They said that the check engine light should turn off
after the first few E85 fill-ups. They also suggest that you may be able to
avoid the problem altogether by slowly introducing ethanol to your engine a
few gallons at a time."

Old January 2nd 08, 05:53 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Refinish King[_2_]

The engine wasn't used to it?

Sounds like a Ford problem, but mechanical things don't get used to things.

LOL

Newer vehicles have a sensor that actually determines the ethanol content.
But, the few tanks of E-85 usually cleans off the sensor.

RK
t...

Old January 2nd 08, 06:37 AM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
Neil[_2_]

> The engine wasn't used to it?
>
> Sounds like a Ford problem, but mechanical things don't get used to
> things.
>
> LOL
>
> Newer vehicles have a sensor that actually determines the ethanol content.
> But, the few tanks of E-85 usually cleans off the sensor.
>
> RK

So you're saying that the sensor isn't working right until the first few
tankfuls? And then, once it gets cleaned off, it works properly?

I wonder about my situation where the light went on when I was using 50%
E85, then turned itself off after a couple of days, and then went back on
right after I increased the E85 in the tank to 85%.

Old January 2nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Neil" > wrote in message
et...

> > "Neil" > wrote in message
> > t...

tank

Today

such

my

and

full,

> >> I think I found the solution to this. There's an article at

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/10...d-to-gasoline/
> >> which says in part:
> >>
> >> "Dee Rithman, the owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus, was happy to learn that
> >> her car was designed to accept E85 even though there are currently no
> >> ethanol filling stations in her area. On a recent trip to Austin, she
> >> came by an E85 station and decided fill up with the gas alternative.
> >> 'About three or four days later, I'm getting the check engine light on

my
> >> car,' she says. For $70, a mechanic told her 'because you've been

putting
> >> regular gas in it for six years, the engine's not going to take it
> >> because it's not used to it.'
> >>
> >> "WOAI contacted the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition who said that,
> >> unfortunately, a lot of drivers experience this, but the problem is
> >> neither serious nor permanent. They said that the check engine light
> >> should turn off after the first few E85 fill-ups. They also suggest

that
> >> you may be able to avoid the problem altogether by slowly introducing
> >> ethanol to your engine a few gallons at a time."
> >>

> "Refinish King" > wrote in message
> > The engine wasn't used to it?
> >
> > Sounds like a Ford problem, but mechanical things don't get used to
> > things.
> >
> > LOL
> >
> > Newer vehicles have a sensor that actually determines the ethanol

content.
> > But, the few tanks of E-85 usually cleans off the sensor.
> >
> > RK

> So you're saying that the sensor isn't working right until the first few
> tankfuls? And then, once it gets cleaned off, it works properly?
>
> I wonder about my situation where the light went on when I was using 50%
> E85, then turned itself off after a couple of days, and then went back on
> right after I increased the E85 in the tank to 85%.

Find a place that will tell you what the stored fault code is!!