A NoOption Boss 302 is no longer good enough

Old September 5th 11, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default A NoOption Boss 302 is no longer good enough

http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features

Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."

I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
hands-free cellphone is almost required?

Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I think
they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when trying to
communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm sure that being
able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps in keeping the
vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders everywhere, and plenty of
little "cubbies" to stick things (and, obviously, forget about them), but
that's an Escape.

Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it out."
Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies." TFrog has
an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets any use.
Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone? Don't even
bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.

Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for the
latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old September 5th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gill

On 09/05/2011 04:28 AM, dwight wrote:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features
>

> Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest
> exhaust note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no
> navigation system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."
>
> I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in
> the Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights).
> How many of these are going to be the primary means of transportation,
> where a hands-free cellphone is almost required?
>
> Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I
> think they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when
> trying to communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm
> sure that being able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps
> in keeping the vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders
> everywhere, and plenty of little "cubbies" to stick things (and,
> obviously, forget about them), but that's an Escape.
>
> Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it
> out." Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies."
> TFrog has an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets
> any use. Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone?
> Don't even bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.
>
> Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for
> the latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

After reading that article, I had this feeling that "He", was "A dumb
blonde chick" that wrote it?
Old September 5th 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 5, 6:28*am, "dwight" > wrote:

> http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...ark-Phelan-Mus...

> Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
> note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
> system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."

These comments are so irritating to me, it's hard for me to respond
without losing my temper. But I'll try... I'll try not to use any
vulgarities.

These are the types who dilute specialty/track cars. The same types
that softened the original GT350 and bloated the GT500. Wah, I demand
my Boss 302 deliver a freaking "living-room experience". To them I
say go sit on your leather couch, turn on your home stereo, grab your
cell phone and fire-up your X-box or PlayStation and play video racing
games and yak on the phone with your buds. They can leave the keys to
the Boss 302 to those who get almost orgasmic from burbling exhaust
notes, engine screams at red line and the G-forces and don't need
gizmos to 'heighten the fun'. .

> I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
> Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
> of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
> hands-free cellphone is almost required?

Exactly!

> Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I think
> they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when trying to
> communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm sure that being
> able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps in keeping the
> vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders everywhere, and plenty of
> little "cubbies" to stick things (and, obviously, forget about them), but
> that's an Escape.

You're right on point. Hell, next these types will want a pickup
truck bed attached to their Boss 302 so they can load up a 4 x 8 sheet
of plywood at Lowes. And why not replace the confining Recaro seats
with a Craftmatic adjustable bed for total comfort. And, really,
would it be that tough to install a 32" flat screen TV in the dash so
they can watch movies while driving/racing? Oh, and don't forget some
TV monitors mounted on the back of the head rests for those rear
passengers, because a backseat and a wheelbase extension of 12 inches
for added rear leg room has to be on the "to-do" list, right? And
where's the mini fridge? Got to give 'em a place to keep their soft
drinks and snack food cold. A mini freezer would be really cool.
That way they can pack some ice cream for track days. And come to
think of it, why not start offering a coffee maker. Seems they could
fit one in the console somewhere --save them trips to
Starbucks. .

> Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it out."
> Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies." TFrog has
> an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets any use.
> Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone? Don't even
> bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.

I too hate any extra crap in/left in the car. Ignition key, floor
mats and garage door opener -- -- that's it.

> Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for the
> latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?

No.

I say that stuff is fine in a sedan, SUV, or other driving appliance.
But not in a car like the Boss 302. The Boss 302 is purposely built
to be a race car you can drive on the street. Fluff isn't in that
formula.

Patrick
Old September 5th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 9/5/2011 06:28, dwight wrote:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features
>

> Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest
> exhaust note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no
> navigation system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."
>
> I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in
> the Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights).
> How many of these are going to be the primary means of transportation,
> where a hands-free cellphone is almost required?
>
> Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I
> think they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when
> trying to communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm
> sure that being able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps
> in keeping the vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders
> everywhere, and plenty of little "cubbies" to stick things (and,
> obviously, forget about them), but that's an Escape.
>
> Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it
> out." Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies."
> TFrog has an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets
> any use. Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone?
> Don't even bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.
>
> Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for
> the latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

I agree, I don't WANT nave and computer controlled sync and all
that. Not at all, especially on a Boss Mustang. Don't want an iPod
connector, but a USB port for music would be appreciated.
Old September 6th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-09-05, dwight > wrote:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features
>
> Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
> note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
> system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."
>
> I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
> Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
> of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
> hands-free cellphone is almost required?

I really expected the BOSS 302 to not be so stark. I figured it would be
like a '69 BOSS 302 compared to a Mach 1 with regards to comparison to a
GT premium.

Old September 6th 11, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 5, 8:28*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-09-05, dwight > wrote:
>
> >http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...ark-Phelan-Mus...

> > Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
> > note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
> > system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."

> > I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
> > Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
> > of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
> > hands-free cellphone is almost required?

> I really expected the BOSS 302 to not be so stark. I figured it would be
> like a '69 BOSS 302 compared to a Mach 1 with regards to comparison to a
> GT premium.

I'm very glad the Boss 302 is so stark. But I'm afraid profits will
soon trump philosophy and loaded-up/bloated versions will become the
new Boss.

Too bad they're not developing a stark version of the GT500 for the
drag racing enthusiasts. Love to see a return of a [street version]
Cobra Jet.

Patrick
Old September 7th 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:15:36 -0700, Gill > wrote:

>On 09/05/2011 04:28 AM, dwight wrote:
>> http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features
>>

>> Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest
>> exhaust note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no
>> navigation system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."
>>
>> I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in
>> the Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights).
>> How many of these are going to be the primary means of transportation,
>> where a hands-free cellphone is almost required?
>>
>> Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I
>> think they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when
>> trying to communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm
>> sure that being able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps
>> in keeping the vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders
>> everywhere, and plenty of little "cubbies" to stick things (and,
>> obviously, forget about them), but that's an Escape.
>>
>> Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it
>> out." Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies."
>> TFrog has an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets
>> any use. Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone?
>> Don't even bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.
>>
>> Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for
>> the latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog.com
>>

>After reading that article, I had this feeling that "He", was "A dumb
>blonde chick" that wrote it?

On behalf of the "dumb blonde chicks" of the world... "OUCHE!!"

I mean, where the heck would we be without "dumb blonde chicks" at the
track, on the strip, sports events. Hell, just leaning over the fender
of any Mustang while we dive head first into the source of power?

And, on behalf of all the SMART, Mustang driven, nut turrning, HP
thirsty blonde chicks.... on behalf of NoOption, I apologize :0)
Old September 7th 11, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-09-06, > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 8:28*pm, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2011-09-05, dwight > wrote:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...ark-Phelan-Mus...

>> > Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
>> > note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
>> > system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."

>> > I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
>> > Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
>> > of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
>> > hands-free cellphone is almost required?

>> I really expected the BOSS 302 to not be so stark. I figured it would be
>> like a '69 BOSS 302 compared to a Mach 1 with regards to comparison to a
>> GT premium.

> I'm very glad the Boss 302 is so stark. But I'm afraid profits will
> soon trump philosophy and loaded-up/bloated versions will become the
> new Boss.
>
> Too bad they're not developing a stark version of the GT500 for the
> drag racing enthusiasts. Love to see a return of a [street version]
> Cobra Jet.

Instant collectable marketing dictates the BOSS 302 won't be offered
long enough for that to happen. I'm somewhat surprised the GT500 is
still sold, although it has lost the premiums in most cases.

Not many people liked dog dish hubcaped 428SCJ hardtops back in the day
and that is still true. But back in the day someone could order their
car pretty finely detailed. That doesn't exist today.
Old September 7th 11, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 07:28:23 -0400, "dwight" > wrote:

>http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...s-key-features
>
>Mark Phelan raves about the new Boss 302. "Best handling... sweetest exhaust
>note... sheer joy." But... no iPod connection, no Sync, no navigation
>system, and it could use more "storage cubbies."
>
>I might disagree. This is the Boss 302, not a daily-driver V6 model (in the
>Premium, please - gotta have those multi-colored interior lights). How many
>of these are going to be the primary means of transportation, where a
>hands-free cellphone is almost required?
>
>Now, don't get me wrong. My wife's Escape has all the goodies, and I think
>they're pretty cool. It's even entertaining, sometimes, when trying to
>communicate with the electronics via voice command, and I'm sure that being
>able to push one button and say "Call So-and-so" helps in keeping the
>vehicle under control. The Escape has cupholders everywhere, and plenty of
>little "cubbies" to stick things (and, obviously, forget about them), but
>that's an Escape.
>
>Even in my old piece-o'-crap TFrog, the rule is "take it in, take it out."
>Nothing gets left behind in the car, thus no need for "cubbies." TFrog has
>an AM/FM stereo cassette, but only the AM news station gets any use.
>Otherwise, TFrog makes its own stereo. Hands-free cellphone? Don't even
>bother trying to call me when I'm driving. I won't answer.
>
>Again, maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't see any need in a Boss 302 for the
>latest electronic amenities. Am I wrong?
>
>dwight
>www.tfrog.com

For those who have been around Mustangs since the beginning, they were
just Falcons with a sport body. Consumers drove them to enlarge the
engine well for bigger engines. Consumers drove Ford to increase the
options and to make them more comfortable. From a "secretary's car"
they grew into the Torino. The same is likely for the Boss.

I'm up in years. I still enjoy being pushed down into the seat, but I
do like my comforts, too. Cruisin' the coast highway or up through the
mountains with some tunes. The cell phone is there for emergencies
only. Don't need an iPhone or Blackberry. Don't need a cigarette
lighter or ash tray. A cup holder comes in handy, along with a cubby
for my beef jerky. The cooler is handy. With those simple tools, I can
go for miles and miles in shear joy, slipping through the gears and
slipping past those slow pokes.

Somehow or other, I learned to read a map and road signs, so I don't
need GPS, especially when I am just hitting the road for the shear
pleasure of driving.

Cheers for Texas and the new 85mph speed limit!

By the way, what is the differnce between an iPod connector and a USB
connector? Essentially, are they not performing the same duty?

NYTMARE has an AM-FM-Cassette changer with iPod, USB, etc, connectors.
Sometimes I use 'em, sometimes I don't.

Old September 7th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 6, 10:48*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-09-06, > wrote:

> >> I really expected the BOSS 302 to not be so stark. I figured it would be
> >> like a '69 BOSS 302 compared to a Mach 1 with regards to comparison to a
> >> GT premium.

> > I'm very glad the Boss 302 is so stark. *But I'm afraid profits will
> > soon trump philosophy and loaded-up/bloated versions will become the
> > new Boss.

> > Too bad they're not developing a stark version of the GT500 for the
> > drag racing enthusiasts. *Love to see a return of a [street version]
> > Cobra Jet.

> Instant collectable marketing dictates the BOSS 302 won't be offered
> long enough for that to happen.

With the millennium generation, who seem to prefer balanced
performance over brutal acceleration, you got to wonder if the brains
in Ford see the Boss 302 being THE Mustang to garner continued respect
from those who worship at the alter of BMW's M3. Make sense? If not,
let me keep going. Perhaps the Boss 302 will stick around because it
best displays the M3-competitor image Ford most wants to cultivate in
the minds of younger buyers.

> I'm somewhat surprised the GT500 is still sold, although it has lost the premiums in most > cases.

And I haven't heard anything about it going away. (Which means
another nice entry in the future used car market!)

> Not many people liked dog dish hubcaped 428SCJ hardtops back in the day
> and that is still true. But back in the day someone could order their
> car pretty finely detailed. That doesn't exist today.

Maybe it's just me, but I know/see plenty of folks who go goo goo gah
gah over stripper, "dog-dish hubcaped" muscle cars. Or is it just
cases of 'love it, but can't live that way. I need my
options'?

Patrick