'93 Accord - flashing "D" transmission indicator.... sometimes??

Old May 25th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '93 Accord - flashing "D" transmission indicator.... sometimes??

Last night, I drove my daughter's '93 Accord LX Automatic about 40 miles on
the highway and in traffic. It ran fine. I stopped at a store, restarted
the car after it had sat for a few minutes, and it was sluggish... looked
down and the "D" indicator was flashing (indicating a problem). Pulled out
on the street and drove it about 1.5 miles to the next light. It seemed to
slip the torque converter a lot and was sluggish starting up (like it was
stuck in a higher gear). (I had just checked the fluid level a week before,
and it was fairly new fluid too.)

Stopped at the light, put it in Neutral, stopped the motor. Restarted it 20
seconds later when the light turned green and it was fine. No flashing "D".
No sluggishness.

Any ideas? The problem almost seems electrical... but the Hayes manual I
have for the car doesn't say much about the tranny. Why did it go away once
I stopped and turned things off?

TIA

Old May 25th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

KWW wrote:

> Last night, I drove my daughter's '93 Accord LX Automatic about 40 miles on
> the highway and in traffic. It ran fine. I stopped at a store, restarted
> the car after it had sat for a few minutes, and it was sluggish... looked
> down and the "D" indicator was flashing (indicating a problem). Pulled out
> on the street and drove it about 1.5 miles to the next light. It seemed to
> slip the torque converter a lot and was sluggish starting up (like it was
> stuck in a higher gear). (I had just checked the fluid level a week before,
> and it was fairly new fluid too.)
>
> Stopped at the light, put it in Neutral, stopped the motor. Restarted it 20
> seconds later when the light turned green and it was fine. No flashing "D".
> No sluggishness.
>
> Any ideas? The problem almost seems electrical... but the Hayes manual I
> have for the car doesn't say much about the tranny. Why did it go away once
> I stopped and turned things off?
>
> TIA

What's her mileage? It might be 'electrical' as you said, unless
somebody put non-Honda fluid in it. If so, drain-n-fill it once, drive
it a while and do it again with Honda Z1. Read through this TSB for
interest sake: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x97-025e.pdf

'Curly'
Old May 26th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

When we first got the car I changed the fluids to genuine Honda fluids just
to be sure. We have driven it for a couple of years. I had just changed the
fluid yet again (also with Genuine fluid).

I shall look to see if the car has a connector - and if so hook up a meter
to see if there are any error codes.

Thanks.
-
KWW