Radar Detectors

Old February 15th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Frog Britches[_2_]

Default Radar Detectors

I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
ago. No real need since I don't fly.
With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
device nor spending a grand on one either.
What is every one using?
Old February 15th 09, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Feb 14, 8:05*pm, Frog Britches > wrote:
> I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
> ago. No real need since I don't fly.
> With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
> cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
> I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
> cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
> I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
> device nor spending a grand on one either.
> What is every one using?

There is no one device that fits all situations. The best thing is to
find out what's in use there and observe traffic and pick the safest
place.Keep in mind that there areplanes overrhead, too. Wheen safe to
do so, look for obvious roadside markers (Bridges, culverts,
billboards and so on) that can be used to time you between them.
Waiting on entry ramps can still fill up a ticket book.
Judge yourself by other drivers. If they (or one) slows, ask yourself
"Why?"

Alertness is not just for safety.

Also, learn hjow to fight tickets.
Often time maybe just having to viisit the courthouse twice will get
the patrolman to forget you wee speeding
and not show up.
When you are stopped, be polite and nicely talkative. I have an
ncommon name and shooting the bull brought out that we had a mutial
friend. I also had given the friend a hand a couple of times and the
officer knew about it. Resu;t: "Tell George that Harry said 'Hello"
nand a warning to take it easy in the area he described. Another time
I got off by advising him on whet car his Mom should buy. In court, in
which he "forget" the whole affair, we wlked out discussing the same
stuff.
A co-worker and I were the same age, size, and profession. In one
decade, we both got caught about ten times.
Me" One bail forfet and one fine.
Him: Eight fines, with points.
(He had problems with women, too.)
Obvious the old
Old February 15th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Frog Britches[_2_]

Studemania wrote:
> On Feb 14, 8:05 pm, Frog Britches > wrote:
>> I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
>> ago. No real need since I don't fly.
>> With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
>> cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
>> I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
>> cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
>> I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
>> device nor spending a grand on one either.
>> What is every one using?

> There is no one device that fits all situations. The best thing is to
> find out what's in use there and observe traffic and pick the safest
> place.Keep in mind that there areplanes overrhead, too. Wheen safe to
> do so, look for obvious roadside markers (Bridges, culverts,
> billboards and so on) that can be used to time you between them.
> Waiting on entry ramps can still fill up a ticket book.
> Judge yourself by other drivers. If they (or one) slows, ask yourself
> "Why?"
>
> Alertness is not just for safety.
>
> Also, learn hjow to fight tickets.
> Often time maybe just having to viisit the courthouse twice will get
> the patrolman to forget you wee speeding
> and not show up.
> When you are stopped, be polite and nicely talkative. I have an
> ncommon name and shooting the bull brought out that we had a mutial
> friend. I also had given the friend a hand a couple of times and the
> officer knew about it. Resu;t: "Tell George that Harry said 'Hello"
> nand a warning to take it easy in the area he described. Another time
> I got off by advising him on whet car his Mom should buy. In court, in
> which he "forget" the whole affair, we wlked out discussing the same
> stuff.
> A co-worker and I were the same age, size, and profession. In one
> decade, we both got caught about ten times.
> Me" One bail forfet and one fine.
> Him: Eight fines, with points.
> (He had problems with women, too.)
> Obvious the old

All LEOs that I know are exemplary. Going to unfamiliar ares is the
problem. I know of one are where there is no municipality on that
section of Interstate. A town about 3 miles away send it's Officers out
to the Interstate to generate revenue. I've seen them myself in the
median and with cars pulled over. The State got after them at least
once. It may not be going on now. I know that there were discussions in
jurisdictions across the Country about revenue generation by the
Police Departments. We short circuited one a long time ago.
I read in Car and Driver a report on one system that was remote mounted
behind front grille and at rear license plate. It had GPS and locations
of traffic cameras and a self learning memory. It would defeat cameras,
Laser etc. I don't know if it would defeat radar. It was over a thousand
dollars and required holes.
My wife got a ticket, unjustified, once and she has become paranoid
about seeing a cruiser, anywhere near the road. She will slow down to 10
under.
Remember when they dropped the speed limit to 55 from 75. They then said
anything over 65 was reckless driving. It is all an game by people that
don't drive or at least not except on Sunday. Reasonable and Prudent
should be the limit just like it was before 1955 and in Montana until
the California nuts moved to the western part of the State and seek to
make it another California.
Old February 15th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:05:57 -0500, Frog Britches > wrote:

>I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
>ago. No real need since I don't fly.
>With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
>cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
>I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
>cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
>I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
>device nor spending a grand on one either.
>What is every one using?

The one that does the most is the top of the line Escort Passport,
9500 I think. Has built in GPS to keep track of non-radar speed traps
as well as radar detector and laser detector. $500. I have a V1
that's almost 10 years old and if I were to replace it, much as I
would miss the directional arrows, I'd get the Passport for the GPS.
Old February 15th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer - ECHM[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:05:57 -0500, Frog Britches > wrote:

>I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
>ago. No real need since I don't fly.
>With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
>cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
>I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
>cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
>I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
>device nor spending a grand on one either.
>What is every one using?

I've heard of GPS units that have the locations of traffic enforcement
cameras loaded in as waypoints, but since most areas where I have seen
the cameras also have signae warning that the camera is ahead, I don't
know how useful one could be unless you want to avoid the cameras by
using alternate routes.

As far as what I do, I just stay with in 5 to 10 of the speed limit
and obey the traffic signals as best I can and hope that the
municipality that I'm in and the cops are honest (yeah, I know that's
a *long* stretch).

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar
Old February 15th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer - ECHM[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:15:16 -0500, Frog Britches > wrote:

>Remember when they dropped the speed limit to 55 from 75. They then said
>anything over 65 was reckless driving. It is all an game by people that
>don't drive or at least not except on Sunday.

People like ralph nader and joan claybrrok who don't live in reality
and wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world, so they want to drag
the rest of us down their little fantasy land. Unfortunately, there is
a big group of idiots known as government that are all too willing to
go along with their fairy tales.

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar
Old February 15th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

necromancer - ECHM wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:15:16 -0500, Frog Britches > wrote:
>>
>>Remember when they dropped the speed limit to 55 from 75. They then said
>>anything over 65 was reckless driving. It is all an game by people that
>>don't drive or at least not except on Sunday.

> People like ralph nader and joan claybrrok who don't live in reality
> and wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world, so they want to drag
> the rest of us down their little fantasy land.

They DO know. They just know what's good for us better than we do.

> Unfortunately, there is
> a big group of idiots known as government that are all too willing to
> go along with their fairy tales.

Same comment. Plus they certainly know a lot about revenue enhancement.

>>Reasonable and Prudent
>>should be the limit just like it was before 1955 and in Montana until
>>the California nuts moved to the western part of the State and seek to
>>make it another California.

In today's climate, that's worse; it then means whatever the cop who stops you
wants it to mean.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the
Old February 16th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Feb 14, 8:05*pm, Frog Britches > wrote:
> I've misplaced my radar detector because I quit using it a few years
> ago. No real need since I don't fly.
> With increassing occurence of speed traps, in some areas, and traffic
> cameras for revenue generation, I'm getting a bit concerned.
> I've read about the new breed of devices which can pinpoint traffic
> cameras, defeat same, defeat Lidar, Laser somewhere.
> I'm not keen on putting holes in the vehicle for the most advanced
> device nor spending a grand on one either.
> What is every one using?

FWIW; Take into account why you're speeding.
San Jose to San Diego is 480 miles, At 60 MPH, that's 8 hours At 80
MPH, it's six hours. Two hours saved if there was no traffic. For 300
miles in the middle it's usually pretty free flowing.
Let's say San Jose to San Fran is 60 miles (which it isn't) Averaging
80 (where you can) on 101 won't save you much. maybe 10 or 12 minutes
Just go with the flow. Fighting a ticket will take more time than all
you can ever save on the SJ - SF trip.
Old February 16th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Studemania

On Feb 15, 10:13*pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> In message
> >,
>
> Studemania > wrote:
> >FWIW; Take into account why you're speeding.

> To stay awake?
>
> >San Jose to San Diego is 480 miles, At 60 MPH, that's 8 hours At 80
> >MPH, it's six hours. Two hours saved if there was no traffic. For 300
> >miles in the middle it's usually pretty free flowing.
> >Let's say San Jose to San Fran is 60 miles (which it isn't) Averaging
> >80 (where you can) on 101 won't save you much. maybe 10 or 12 minutes

> Why do you assume it's all about saving time? Don't you know for some
> people it's all about WINNING THE RACE???

Forr some, OK. But they will;ignore what I say. I was that way years
ago, but now drive only old cars instead of new fast ones.I don't
think I've hit 80PH for several years and dobt that my old car could
do it. (I don't block traffic, either. - I pass more cars than cars
pass me.)).
Old February 16th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Frog Britches[_2_]

Studemania wrote:
> On Feb 15, 10:13 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
>> In message
>> >,
>>
>> Studemania > wrote:
>>> FWIW; Take into account why you're speeding.

>> To stay awake?
>>
>>> San Jose to San Diego is 480 miles, At 60 MPH, that's 8 hours At 80
>>> MPH, it's six hours. Two hours saved if there was no traffic. For 300
>>> miles in the middle it's usually pretty free flowing.
>>> Let's say San Jose to San Fran is 60 miles (which it isn't) Averaging
>>> 80 (where you can) on 101 won't save you much. maybe 10 or 12 minutes

>> Why do you assume it's all about saving time? Don't you know for some
>> people it's all about WINNING THE RACE???

> Forr some, OK. But they will;ignore what I say. I was that way years
> ago, but now drive only old cars instead of new fast ones.I don't
> think I've hit 80PH for several years and dobt that my old car could
> do it. (I don't block traffic, either. - I pass more cars than cars
> pass me.)).

Flow with the traffic is the way to go. A lot of places flow a hell, of
a lot faster, than others though.

Need recommendations on radar detectors H.B. Elkins Driving 38 December 7th 08 05:01 AM
Any FAQ about radar detectors ? Sudhir Driving 5 August 1st 06 02:08 PM
Radar Detectors Halady Corvette 8 January 24th 05 12:27 AM
Radar Detectors Max General 1 September 17th 04 09:10 PM
Radar detectors - frequencys ohsojojo General 1 August 22nd 04 04:33 AM