Two questions

Old August 27th 04, 07:17 PM
CardsFan

Default Two questions

First, injector cleaners. I've never used any, and reading here awhile back
several posters do. Does anyone have a favorite brand? There are lots of
options and they don't cost much, so if it's a waste of money at least it
isn't much money. Just looking for opinions.

Second, engine detailing. There are lots of detail shops around here, but
their idea of engine detailing is to steam clean it. For instance, a guy at
a cruise-in I was at recently had the underside of his C4's hood looking
pretty nice and I asked him how he did it. He said elbow grease and Armor
All. I'm reluctant to use Armor All as it seems to turn white when it gets
heated up, which would surely happen in the engine compartment. I keep
looking at that motor and I know it could look a lot better, but I don't
want to take the whole motor out to do it. I'm not talking about buying a
bunch of chrome here, just cleaning 12 years of grunge.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6sp

Old August 27th 04, 07:33 PM
Charles Spitzer

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> First, injector cleaners. I've never used any, and reading here awhile

back
> several posters do. Does anyone have a favorite brand? There are lots of
> options and they don't cost much, so if it's a waste of money at least it
> isn't much money. Just looking for opinions.
>
> Second, engine detailing. There are lots of detail shops around here, but
> their idea of engine detailing is to steam clean it. For instance, a guy

at
> a cruise-in I was at recently had the underside of his C4's hood looking
> pretty nice and I asked him how he did it. He said elbow grease and Armor
> All. I'm reluctant to use Armor All as it seems to turn white when it

gets
> heated up, which would surely happen in the engine compartment. I keep
> looking at that motor and I know it could look a lot better, but I don't
> want to take the whole motor out to do it. I'm not talking about buying a
> bunch of chrome here, just cleaning 12 years of grunge.

i just use simple green on a rag. i wouldn't want to chance getting the
optispark wet.

Old August 27th 04, 07:33 PM
Charles Spitzer

Old August 27th 04, 09:29 PM
Empty3

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> First, injector cleaners. I've never used any, and reading here awhile

back
> several posters do. Does anyone have a favorite brand? There are lots of
> options and they don't cost much, so if it's a waste of money at least it
> isn't much money. Just looking for opinions.

Techron is good and will increase your gas mileage while its in the tank,
particularly
on long trips. I believe Lucas has a fuel injector cleaner but I've never
tried. BTW,
Lucas trans and oil additives are good.

> Second, engine detailing. There are lots of detail shops around here, but
> their idea of engine detailing is to steam clean it. For instance, a guy

at
> a cruise-in I was at recently had the underside of his C4's hood looking
> pretty nice and I asked him how he did it. He said elbow grease and Armor
> All. I'm reluctant to use Armor All as it seems to turn white when it

gets
> heated up, which would surely happen in the engine compartment. I keep
> looking at that motor and I know it could look a lot better, but I don't
> want to take the whole motor out to do it. I'm not talking about buying a
> bunch of chrome here, just cleaning 12 years of grunge.

Not much on saturating the engine with any form of water unless the
alternator,
and distributor system are tightly enclosed. I did it once and have kept
the engine
clean by periodical manual cleaning.

Old August 27th 04, 09:29 PM
Empty3

Old August 27th 04, 11:48 PM

'He said elbow grease and Armor All. I'm reluctant to use Armor All as
it seems to turn white when it gets heated up, which would surely happen
in the engine compartment. I keep looking at that motor and I know it
could look a lot better, but I don't want to take the whole motor out to
do it. I'm not talking about buying a bunch of chrome here, just
cleaning 12 years of grunge.
AJM'

ME: Use Simple Green and a vinyl brush with a long handle like youd use
for dishes ; then hose it down. Cover up sensitive ignition components
first. After you get it all cleaned up and dry....use POR Engine Enamel
Paint for a very nice look ; its hard and lasts much longer than sprayon
paints you buy at the store. Go to :www.por15.com ..they have a variety
of paints for Engine Bays, frames, manifolds, vinyl, rubber,etc...their
products are first class and worth the money.

Dave

Old August 30th 04, 02:10 AM
CardsFan

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> First, injector cleaners. I've never used any, and reading here awhile

back
> several posters do. Does anyone have a favorite brand? There are lots of
> options and they don't cost much, so if it's a waste of money at least it
> isn't much money. Just looking for opinions.
>
> Second, engine detailing. There are lots of detail shops around here, but
> their idea of engine detailing is to steam clean it. For instance, a guy

at
> a cruise-in I was at recently had the underside of his C4's hood looking
> pretty nice and I asked him how he did it. He said elbow grease and Armor
> All. I'm reluctant to use Armor All as it seems to turn white when it

gets
> heated up, which would surely happen in the engine compartment. I keep
> looking at that motor and I know it could look a lot better, but I don't
> want to take the whole motor out to do it. I'm not talking about buying a
> bunch of chrome here, just cleaning 12 years of grunge.

Thanks to all who replied. The Chevron Techron ought to be good - it's more
than double the price of many of the others, and treats 12 gallons. Engine
detailing - looks like it will be something for me to work on during the
weekends of the long Indiana winter. Maybe by next spring I'll have her
looking better.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp