anyone ever lost shift linkage clip?

Old May 24th 04, 12:01 AM
chuck smoko

Default anyone ever lost shift linkage clip?

I had "fun" today. My manual transmission 94 SL1 saturn lost a
U clip that holds the shift linkage cable to the transmission.
After coming off the highway, I could not take it out of 5th.
I rolled for a bit and got it into 3rd and drove to a safe
place to pull over. I was alone; so I could not see the
problem and had to call AAA. After I got it home, I had a
friend jiggle the shifter and I saw the dangling cable housing
that should be attached to the transmission, but it was missing
the clip which holds it securely to the transmission. The
cable and housing still look good; I wonder if saturn sells
just the clip or I have to buy the whole cable??

Thanks,
chuck

Old May 24th 04, 05:07 AM
Mr. Goodwrench

It cost me $20 for the repair at the Saturn dealer + overnight lodging + two
tows (One to nearest exit off turnpike + another to Saturn dealer)
arrrgh..............

Old May 24th 04, 05:45 AM
Lane

Yes, they sell just the clips, and they're pretty inexpensive too.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www57.pair.com/lane

news

Old May 24th 04, 06:20 AM
BANDIT2941

>I had "fun" today. My manual transmission 94 SL1 saturn lost a
>U clip that holds the shift linkage cable to the transmission.
>After coming off the highway, I could not take it out of 5th.
>I rolled for a bit and got it into 3rd and drove to a safe
>place to pull over. I was alone; so I could not see the
>problem and had to call AAA. After I got it home, I had a
>friend jiggle the shifter and I saw the dangling cable housing
>that should be attached to the transmission, but it was missing
>the clip which holds it securely to the transmission. The
>cable and housing still look good; I wonder if saturn sells
>just the clip or I have to buy the whole cable??

Same thing happened to me.....ended up having only 3rd 4th and 5th gears. Was
able to limp it home(luckily nobody stopped on a hill in front of me) and
fabricate my own clip until I was able to get to the dealer to get one. The
dealer sells the clips seperate, and as Lane said, they are very inexpensive.
Old May 25th 04, 01:52 AM
chuck smoko

Got one today at the dealer. $6.00 for it; I'm "back
in gear" and rolling along.

chuck

Old May 26th 04, 04:52 PM
BANDIT2941

>Got one today at the dealer. $6.00 for it; I'm "back
>in gear" and rolling along.

Wow you got hosed! I want to say it was like $2.00 or less when I bought it!
Not like it really matters anyway

Lost a friend and local Corvette club member Tedd Riggs Corvette 26 October 14th 04 09:21 PM
1st to 4th shift light? Fred Corvette 22 August 31st 04 01:29 AM
88 Aries Shift Points Dave libbey Dodge 3 May 7th 04 05:59 AM