1962 Renault ad

Old December 31st 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

Default 1962 Renault ad

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962 Renault ad.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	395.8 KB
ID:	173555
Old December 31st 08, 08:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in message

When I met my wife-to-be in 1960 she owned a '58 version of this car.

I used to stomp the throttle to the floor and it sounded like it turned at
least a gazillion RPM's and I'd look out the window and realize I was only
going 12 MPH. Naturally we preferred my new '61 Corvair Monza coupe.
--
Pat Durkin

Old December 31st 08, 08:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Phil McCracken

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:01:29 -0800, "Paddy's Pig"
> wrote:

>"Paddy's Pig" > wrote in message
m...

>When I met my wife-to-be in 1960 she owned a '58 version of this car.
>
>I used to stomp the throttle to the floor and it sounded like it turned at
>least a gazillion RPM's and I'd look out the window and realize I was only
>going 12 MPH. Naturally we preferred my new '61 Corvair Monza coupe.

My parents bought a brand-spanking new Dauphine in 1960. By 1965, my
dad had pop riveted the second floor into it, and by 1968, despite a
new paint job a year prior, there wasn't much of the body left that
hadn't been riddled with rust. The engine still ran pretty strong,
tho.

Finally, one day as my dad traversed a railway crossing in our home
town, the front clip of the vehicle shifted to the right, while
everything from the firewall rearward shifted to the left. He got rid
of it that afternoon.
Old December 31st 08, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

"Square Wheels" > wrote in message
newsan.2008.12.31.21.53.08.356824@flashinthepan. pan...

> I can only assume you always had good taste and class....

Well I sure had good taste in the woman.
--
Pat Durkin

Old January 1st 09, 04:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Max Magister[_2_]

There's a little more to the name than just Dolphin. The heir to the French
throne, analogous to the British Prince of Wales, was called the Dauphin,
after the Dauphine region (that's supposed to have an accent on the last e
but I can't do that on my Mac at the moment). So, the feminine, Dauphine,
has all sorts of connotations that would add thoughts of elegance and class
to an otherwise pretty pedestrian vehicle. The French were no slouches when
it came to naming cars: the Citroen DS sounds just like two letters to most
people but in French that combination sounds like the word for goddess.

max

On 31/12/08 1:53 PM, in article
, "Square Wheels"

Old January 2nd 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Ask your wife if it was a used one she bought ?
It might have been mine, the 1958, as I turned mine in for a new 1960 model
in Los Angeles.
Was it Black ?
Was it the French version, slightly different than the American version ?
Did it have turn signals on the side ?
Old January 2nd 09, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Paddy's Pig[_2_] Paddy's Pig[_2_] is offline
Banned

> wrote in message

> Ask your wife if it was a used one she bought ?

Yeah it was used.

> It might have been mine, the 1958, as I turned mine in for a new 1960
> model in Los Angeles.

> Was it Black ?

Yeah.

> Was it the French version, slightly different than the American version ?

I couldn't say. I don't know the differences.

> Did it have turn signals on the side ?

I believe it did have semaphore signals. I think they were mounted in the B
Pillars.

It would be a heck of a coincidence if it turned out to be yours wouldn't
it? There's almost certainly no way we could verify that but we lived in
Southern California so the geography was right. It's possible I guess.
--
Pat Durkin

Old January 3rd 09, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Default 1962 Renault ad - "1957 Renault Dauphine.jpg" 80.9 KBytes

I was wrong on the year, I looked in my old photos, mine was a 1957 model.
A couple of pictures enclosed.
I brought mine in France while in the military. Bought it new and picked it
up in Paris, cost was $1045.
Should have bought a VW as they were only $980, would have lasted a lot
longer.
Renault Dauphines seemed to last only 3 years with one engine overhaul in
that time.

Traded it in for a new one, Los Angeles in 1960, which cost a lot more. It
lasted to 1963 and only one engine overhaul.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 Renault Dauphine.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	173763
Old January 3rd 09, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Default 1962 Renault ad - "1957 Renault Dauphine in France.jpg" 64.2 KBytes

I was wrong on the year, I looked in my old photos, mine was a 1957 model.
A couple of pictures enclosed.
I brought mine in France while in the military. Bought it new and picked it
up in Paris, cost was $1045.
Should have bought a VW as they were only $980, would have lasted a lot
longer.
Renault Dauphines seemed to last only 3 years with one engine overhaul in
that time.

Traded it in for a new one, Los Angeles in 1960, which cost a lot more. It
lasted to 1963 and only one engine overhaul.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 Renault Dauphine in France.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	173765
Old January 3rd 09, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos

Default 1962 Renault ad - "1957 Renault Dauphine turn signal.jpg" 33.5 KBytes

I was wrong on the year, I looked in my old photos, mine was a 1957 model.
A couple of pictures enclosed.
I brought mine in France while in the military. Bought it new and picked it
up in Paris, cost was $1045.
Should have bought a VW as they were only $980, would have lasted a lot
longer.
Renault Dauphines seemed to last only 3 years with one engine overhaul in
that time.

Traded it in for a new one, Los Angeles in 1960, which cost a lot more. It
lasted to 1963 and only one engine overhaul.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1957 Renault Dauphine turn signal.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	173764