1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Old October 23rd 05, 05:33 AM
McNick

Default 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello, I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Inline 6, 4.0L, and it is
having some starting issues. It will take it forever to start, it will
crank over about 10-15 times and then finally start, Do you have any
sugestions? I have replaced: Spark Plugs, had all liquids changed, and
etc. Could you help? Thanks

Old October 23rd 05, 05:43 AM
DougW

McNick did pass the time by typing:
> Hello, I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Inline 6, 4.0L, and it is
> having some starting issues. It will take it forever to start, it will
> crank over about 10-15 times and then finally start, Do you have any
> sugestions? I have replaced: Spark Plugs, had all liquids changed, and
> etc. Could you help? Thanks

Try turning the key on, waiting for the pump to stop
buzzing, turn the key off, turn the key back on, then
turn the key to start. If this solves the issue
then you have a problem with pressure bleed down.

Also pull the codes.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

--
DougW

Old October 24th 05, 09:18 PM
McNick

That did the trick by turning the key of for 5 seconds... So how can I fix
the problem?

Old October 24th 05, 10:31 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I hope yours is like an '02 and they moved the regulator/filter
outside the tank: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/WJfuelRegulator.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old October 24th 05, 10:46 PM
DougW

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> I hope yours is like an '02 and they moved the regulator/filter
> outside the tank: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/WJfuelRegulator.pdf

possibly. Don't have the book here.

> McNick wrote:
>>
>> That did the trick by turning the key of for 5 seconds... So how can I fix
>> the problem?

For now, the key trick.

Hopefully you have the system Bill pointed out. If so your in luck
because on the 93-95 it was either the fuel rail pressure regulator
(easy but not cheap) or the fuel pump check valve (not easy and not cheap)

--
DougW

Old October 24th 05, 11:12 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's where Ford and GM put them. Makes for a full pressure ninety
pounds test easy.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 25th 05, 01:35 AM
Billy Ray

Do you think using a replaceable filter before the regulator is feasible?

It would have a working pressure of about 50 PSI
--
(remove SPAM)
2002 Jeep WJ 4 Liter Automatic

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 25th 05, 01:54 AM
DougW

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
> Do you think using a replaceable filter before the regulator is feasible?
>
> It would have a working pressure of about 50 PSI

I don't see why not.
http://www.hilborninjection.com/prod...Id=69&CatId=19
*grin*

Now that you've pried your hands off the wallet.

Look for an aftermarket filter for fuel injection that uses commonly
available fittings. They don't have to be reusable but they should
be rated for at least 70psi, most are rated up to 100 burst. I routinely
put 72psi on the stock ZJ filter. But it uses those hard-to-find O-ring
clippy things.

Old October 25th 05, 02:03 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,
Seeing yours is external I'd just go ahead a replace it and the
regulator, probably on a fifty thousand mile interval, or a trip to
Mexico. Nothing's said about it at in your lube schedule:
http://www.billhughes.com/WJLubeSchedule.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old October 25th 05, 02:04 AM
Billy Ray

I was thinking perhaps one of those oil filter sized ones like Ford used in
my T-bird and daughter's Cougar. I could cut and flare the steel the steel
tube and use high pressure hose and a couple stainless steel clamps

--
"DougW" > wrote in message
> Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:
>> Do you think using a replaceable filter before the regulator is feasible?
>>
>> It would have a working pressure of about 50 PSI

> I don't see why not.

http://www.hilborninjection.com/prod...Id=69&CatId=19
> *grin*
>
> Now that you've pried your hands off the wallet.
>
> Look for an aftermarket filter for fuel injection that uses commonly
> available fittings. They don't have to be reusable but they should
> be rated for at least 70psi, most are rated up to 100 burst. I routinely
> put 72psi on the stock ZJ filter. But it uses those hard-to-find O-ring
> clippy things.
>

>>> That's where Ford and GM put them. Makes for a full pressure ninety
>>> pounds test easy.
>>> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>>> http://www.billhughes.com/

1998 Jeep Wrangler wiper problems [email protected] Jeep 2 July 26th 05 04:52 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi in UK Dori A Schmetterling Chrysler 4 June 2nd 05 10:22 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 06:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM