Difference between pre 2005 and later? Purchasing advice needed!

Old June 20th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Difference between pre 2005 and later? Purchasing advice needed!

Glenn Carlsen wrote:
> Hello all!
> I am considering a 2005+ Mustang vert with a V6 or possibly a hard top GT.
> I can afford either the vert or the GT but not a GT Vert
>
> I have been scoping out the dealers and they seem to have no shortage of
> any of these cars which leads me to believe that price may be negotiable
> despite the popularity of these cars?
>
> One dealer has to have at least 20 Rousche models in stock, which seem
> like a ripoff to me but what do I know?

I agree. Not enough bang for the buck for me.

> So my question is, as I understand it, the V8 is little changed from 04
> but the V6 is entirely new and not the old 3.8 disaster that Ford used in
> the Taurus and older T-birds? (Head gasket woes)
>
> Is this correct?

True. The V8 is little changed. Still an excellent motor. The 4L V6 is a vast
improvement over the 2004's. The rated power is pretty good. With a simple computer
tune you can pick up more ponies. Add a blower and some long tube headers and it
will outperform a stock GT.

> Is there any reason not to buy one of these, say the 40th anniversary
> model (if I can find one) ?

No reason not to. I don't particularly like the styling, so I wouldn't. The
'04 V8 is an excellent car.

> FWIW I drove a rental 2006 V6 vert a couple of months ago and was
> extremely impressed by the car.
> Smooth, fast and a lot of fun to drive!

I rented on last fall and put about 1500 miles on it. Nice car. Good power for
auto and 25mpg. Love the styling.

> Would a 2004 Vert V8 be similar or are am I comparing apples and oranges?

Apples and oranges. The engine and trans are essentially the same. The rest of
the car is completly differant.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old June 20th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

..boB wrote:

<snip>

> True. The V8 is little changed. Still an excellent motor. The 4L V6 is a vast
> improvement over the 2004's. The rated power is pretty good. With a simple computer
> tune you can pick up more ponies. Add a blower and some long tube headers and it
> will outperform a stock GT.

<snip>
> --
> .boB
> Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.
> 1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged Stolen 11/26/05 in Denver
> 1HD1GEL10VY3200010 CO License J5822Z
> 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92
> 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver
> 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.

I agree... I love my little 6... hehehehe... I basically pushed it to
it's limit with a 125HP shot of Nitrous and broke the ring landing on a
piston... We've now installed a lightly used 4.0L (less than 5000 miles
on it!) and replaced the N20 with a Vortech SC... The car is now
putting down over 300RWHP! While I haven't had a chance to take the
Vortech to the track everything so far tells me the car will still be
LOW 13's... possible very high 12s...

You can check it out at
http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng/Mustang.htm

Also my car is featured in the August issue of Modified Mustang! LOL!
One thing I hope I made clear in the article is the 05+ V6 Mustang is
not like those old rental dogs of days gone by! LOL!