0-60 and horsepower

Old February 14th 05, 02:39 AM
rebco10

Default 0-60 and horsepower

I know the new c6 has serious hp. My lt4 has 330 so they say and does
0-60 in 4.9 so they say.

How come so many new cars are coming in at 400 - 500 hp yet the 0-60
times are 4.5-5.2. I would have thought they would be faster.

Old February 14th 05, 03:40 AM
Dad

"rebco10" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I know the new c6 has serious hp. My lt4 has 330 so they say and does
> 0-60 in 4.9 so they say.
>
> How come so many new cars are coming in at 400 - 500 hp yet the 0-60
> times are 4.5-5.2. I would have thought they would be faster.

Where in the world did you get a 4.5 0-60 time on the C6?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 14th 05, 04:01 AM
SkyhawkXP

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:40:59 -0500, "Dad" >
opined:

>"rebco10" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>>I know the new c6 has serious hp. My lt4 has 330 so they say and does
>> 0-60 in 4.9 so they say.
>>
>> How come so many new cars are coming in at 400 - 500 hp yet the 0-60
>> times are 4.5-5.2. I would have thought they would be faster.
>>

>Where in the world did you get a 4.5 0-60 time on the C6?

Car and Driver 4.3, Road and Track 4.4 ... He didn't mention the C6
numbers Dad.
--
SkyhawkXP
Carpe Diem
Old February 14th 05, 04:48 AM
Dad

"SkyhawkXP" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:40:59 -0500, "Dad" >
> opined:
>
>>"rebco10" > wrote in message
groups.com...
>>>I know the new c6 has serious hp. My lt4 has 330 so they say and does
>>> 0-60 in 4.9 so they say.
>>>
>>> How come so many new cars are coming in at 400 - 500 hp yet the 0-60
>>> times are 4.5-5.2. I would have thought they would be faster.
>>>

>>Where in the world did you get a 4.5 0-60 time on the C6?

> Car and Driver 4.3, Road and Track 4.4 ... He didn't mention the C6
> numbers Dad.

Just thought the 400 hp was in the C6 hp range and I've never seen the 0-60
that slow.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 14th 05, 12:48 PM
Buhda

I don;t know alot about cars and 0-60 times but I do know some physics (just
enough to be dangerous OR make a fool out of myself). when accelerating an
atom towards the speed of light the engery needed to increase the speed
increases exponentialy. What I'm saying the faster you go (lower 0-60) the
more engery you need (exponentialy) to accelerate so increasing 25% hp will
not get you a 25% gain in 0-60 times.Besides it's torque not hp that gives
you good 0-60 times.

also Tires, suspension, gearing, shift points and aerodynamics all come into
play. which is why the aftermarket shops are doing sooo well these days. You
can get a good improvement by just getting better tires, suspension, and
shift points (if you have auto).

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "SkyhawkXP" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:40:59 -0500, "Dad" >
>> opined:

egroups.com...

Old February 14th 05, 01:21 PM
CardsFan

"Buhda" > wrote in message

> I don;t know alot about cars and 0-60 times but I do know some physics

(just
> enough to be dangerous OR make a fool out of myself). when accelerating

an
> atom towards the speed of light the engery needed to increase the speed
> increases exponentialy.

Yes. Einstein, in his famous equation, showed us energy and mass are
equivalent. As an object is accelerated it gains energy of motion, and so
gains mass. As the speed of light is approached, mass tends to infinity,
and you can't accelerate an infinite mass. Thus the speed of light is the
cosmic limit. On the other hand, if you're going very fast, to an observer
at rest your clock is going very slow. They say speed kills, but
relatively, it could greatly extend your life.

> What I'm saying the faster you go (lower 0-60) the
> more engery you need (exponentialy) to accelerate so increasing 25% hp

will
> not get you a 25% gain in 0-60 times.Besides it's torque not hp that gives
> you good 0-60 times.

Bulldozers have a lot of torque... ;-)

> also Tires, suspension, gearing, shift points and aerodynamics all come

into
> play. which is why the aftermarket shops are doing sooo well these days.

You
> can get a good improvement by just getting better tires, suspension, and
> shift points (if you have auto).

I don't know about the shift points. I'd think gear ratios would have more
to do with it. Floor an automatic and doesn't it run up pretty close to the
redline anyway before it shifts? With a manual I think it's more about the
driver.

My best,

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old February 14th 05, 04:14 PM
Dad

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> "Buhda" > wrote in message
>
>> I don;t know alot about cars and 0-60 times but I do know some physics

> (just
>> enough to be dangerous OR make a fool out of myself). when accelerating

> an
>> atom towards the speed of light the engery needed to increase the speed
>> increases exponentialy.

> Yes. Einstein, in his famous equation, showed us energy and mass are
> equivalent. As an object is accelerated it gains energy of motion, and so
> gains mass. As the speed of light is approached, mass tends to infinity,
> and you can't accelerate an infinite mass. Thus the speed of light is the
> cosmic limit. On the other hand, if you're going very fast, to an
> observer
> at rest your clock is going very slow. They say speed kills, but
> relatively, it could greatly extend your life.
>
>> What I'm saying the faster you go (lower 0-60) the
>> more engery you need (exponentialy) to accelerate so increasing 25% hp

> will
>> not get you a 25% gain in 0-60 times.Besides it's torque not hp that
>> gives
>> you good 0-60 times.

> Bulldozers have a lot of torque... ;-)
>
>> also Tires, suspension, gearing, shift points and aerodynamics all come

> into
>> play. which is why the aftermarket shops are doing sooo well these days.

> You
>> can get a good improvement by just getting better tires, suspension, and
>> shift points (if you have auto).

> I don't know about the shift points. I'd think gear ratios would have
> more
> to do with it. Floor an automatic and doesn't it run up pretty close to
> the
> redline anyway before it shifts? With a manual I think it's more about
> the
> driver.
>
> My best,
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

So if I want to go faster I should turn on my lights? ;-) My statement still
stands, I've not seen a C6 6 speed that slow, 4.1 to 4.3 but never 4.5 or
5.2 unless it was in reverse. First gear, 2.97, second, 2.07, third 1.43,
fourth, 1.00, fifth, .71, sixth, .57, Supercar tires 285-35X19 (sticky & 10"
wide), Z51 suspension. First gear goes away quick and you better have a hot
transmission or you'll never make the shift to get a good 0-60 time, sticky
and notchy until you get it warmed up. I also think the C6 automatic with
the Z51 package will stay out of the 4.5 to 5.2 figures. It is an amazing
transmission this year with the performance algorithm shifting. Even the
vanilla A4 with the 2:73 rear end will make 0-6 at 4.6 add to that the 3:15
and the Z51 package and it will be better than that, (I've not seen one run
equipped like that yet).

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 14th 05, 04:32 PM
CardsFan

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
> > "Buhda" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I don;t know alot about cars and 0-60 times but I do know some physics

> > (just
> >> enough to be dangerous OR make a fool out of myself). when

accelerating
> > an
> >> atom towards the speed of light the engery needed to increase the speed
> >> increases exponentialy.

> > Yes. Einstein, in his famous equation, showed us energy and mass are
> > equivalent. As an object is accelerated it gains energy of motion, and

so
> > gains mass. As the speed of light is approached, mass tends to

infinity,
> > and you can't accelerate an infinite mass. Thus the speed of light is

the
> > cosmic limit. On the other hand, if you're going very fast, to an
> > observer
> > at rest your clock is going very slow. They say speed kills, but
> > relatively, it could greatly extend your life.
> >
> >> What I'm saying the faster you go (lower 0-60) the
> >> more engery you need (exponentialy) to accelerate so increasing 25% hp

> > will
> >> not get you a 25% gain in 0-60 times.Besides it's torque not hp that
> >> gives
> >> you good 0-60 times.

> > Bulldozers have a lot of torque... ;-)
> >
> >> also Tires, suspension, gearing, shift points and aerodynamics all come

> > into
> >> play. which is why the aftermarket shops are doing sooo well these

days.
> > You
> >> can get a good improvement by just getting better tires, suspension,

and
> >> shift points (if you have auto).

> > I don't know about the shift points. I'd think gear ratios would have
> > more
> > to do with it. Floor an automatic and doesn't it run up pretty close to
> > the
> > redline anyway before it shifts? With a manual I think it's more about
> > the
> > driver.
> >
> > My best,
> >
> > AJM
> > '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp
> >

> So if I want to go faster I should turn on my lights? ;-)

Well, if you could keep up with your headlights you'd have one seriously
fast 'Vette. Keeping up with light actually launched Einstein on the path
that led to relativity theory. He wondered what light would look like if
you could travel right alongside the "beam". He called it a "thought
experiment." I've never truly understood how light can be both a particle
and a wave at the same time, but then I ain't necessarily the brightest bulb
in the room.

> My statement still
> stands, I've not seen a C6 6 speed that slow, 4.1 to 4.3 but never 4.5 or
> 5.2 unless it was in reverse.

Oh, I agree. Maybe the OP has some plug wires disconneted. I thought the
standard C6 was supposed to do a 4.2, and the ZO6 is going to break 4
seconds.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old February 14th 05, 05:35 PM
Dad

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
Snip
>> My statement still
>> stands, I've not seen a C6 6 speed that slow, 4.1 to 4.3 but never 4.5 or
>> 5.2 unless it was in reverse.

> Oh, I agree. Maybe the OP has some plug wires disconneted. I thought the
> standard C6 was supposed to do a 4.2, and the ZO6 is going to break 4
> seconds.
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

I think the OP was yanking our chain and you know who wins these debates.
Even one of the sites said the C6 would run 4.1 but then they also said the
C6 had a (6.0 liter?) 383 cubic in motor.
http://www.carlislemediasite.com/con...?ArticleID=407

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 14th 05, 10:13 PM
Charles Spitzer

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> "Buhda" > wrote in message
>
>> I don;t know alot about cars and 0-60 times but I do know some physics

> (just
>> enough to be dangerous OR make a fool out of myself). when accelerating

> an
>> atom towards the speed of light the engery needed to increase the speed
>> increases exponentialy.

> Yes. Einstein, in his famous equation, showed us energy and mass are
> equivalent. As an object is accelerated it gains energy of motion, and so
> gains mass. As the speed of light is approached, mass tends to infinity,
> and you can't accelerate an infinite mass. Thus the speed of light is the
> cosmic limit. On the other hand, if you're going very fast, to an
> observer
> at rest your clock is going very slow. They say speed kills, but
> relatively, it could greatly extend your life.

speed doesn't kill. it's the stop that does.

>> What I'm saying the faster you go (lower 0-60) the
>> more engery you need (exponentialy) to accelerate so increasing 25% hp

> will
>> not get you a 25% gain in 0-60 times.Besides it's torque not hp that
>> gives
>> you good 0-60 times.

> Bulldozers have a lot of torque... ;-)
>
>> also Tires, suspension, gearing, shift points and aerodynamics all come

> into
>> play. which is why the aftermarket shops are doing sooo well these days.

> You
>> can get a good improvement by just getting better tires, suspension, and
>> shift points (if you have auto).

> I don't know about the shift points. I'd think gear ratios would have
> more
> to do with it. Floor an automatic and doesn't it run up pretty close to
> the
> redline anyway before it shifts? With a manual I think it's more about
> the
> driver.
>
> My best,
>
> AJM
> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Mustang horsepower mustangjoe Ford Mustang 15 February 13th 05 12:21 AM
Horsepower Larry Simulators 0 January 14th 05 08:04 PM
Horsepower Still Sells [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 13th 05 04:45 AM
FS: 1991 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 Supercharged 416 Horsepower Ford Mustang 0 November 19th 04 10:33 PM
Differing Horsepower RT500/ap Antique cars 1 October 6th 03 03:26 PM